Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Travel Insurance

What Travel Insurance do you use when you travel to Thailand?

I have been looking at a few different ones and have used 1Cover Travel Insurance myself. It tends to cover everything I need for a very good price but doesn't cover a Motor Vehicle Accidents. I know that there are a few Policies that do cover MVA's but not sure who does them.

Anyone know which places do cover this?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    southerncross.... but if you book your tix and accom via some visa cards you are covered

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    What Travel Insurance do you use when you travel to Thailand?

I have been looking at a few different ones and have used 1Cover Travel Insurance myself. It tends to cover everything I need for a very good price but doesn't cover a Motor Vehicle Accidents. I know that there are a few Policies that do cover MVA's but not sure who does them.

Anyone know which places do cover this?
    I use one cover because they DO cover car accidents - or rather they cover the excess on a hire vehicle's insurance (so you don't have to be taken every time by the Excess reduction insurance rort).

How big a car smash are you planning to have?

1Cover Travel Insurance - Best Value in Australia

I have their annual cover now.

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

Not planning on having an MVA even but they are called an Accident for a reason 5555. I was not planning on getting sick in CM either, just think its a good idea to be ready in-case sh!t hits the fan

Not planning on having an MVA even but they are called an Accident for a reason 5555. I was not planning on getting sick in CM either, just think its a good idea to be ready in-case sh!t hits the fan
    You have lost me...

.. do you mean 1 Cover do not cover you for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident you have overseas etc ? (if so then NOW I am concerned)

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    You have lost me...

.. do you mean 1 Cover do not cover you for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident you have overseas etc ? (if so then NOW I am concerned)
    You asked how big of an accident do I plan on having, I was just answering the question. Saying you never plan it but it is good to be prepared for it if it does

You asked how big of an accident do I plan on having, I was just answering the question. Saying you never plan it but it is good to be prepared for it if it does
    Which is why you have lost me.. ....are we talking about cover for the person or the car damage because 1 Cover DOES cover you for the excess on a rental car....?

I am talking about insurance on the motorcycle/car if it is stolen, involved in accident etc. I did not know they covered the excess with 1cover. Someone told me that they do not cover excess if MVA occurs in LOS, they said if you read the fine prints it states this. I did try to look but could not find it. They were talking from experience, but was a while ago

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    I am talking about insurance on the motorcycle/car if it is stolen, involved in accident etc. I did not know they covered the excess with 1cover. Someone told me that they do not cover excess if MVA occurs in LOS, they said if you read the fine prints it states this. I did try to look but could not find it. They were talking from experience, but was a while ago
    I don't know about 1Cover but my policy (Annual Travel Insurance) with Travel insurance Direct has this to say about the excess on rental vehicles:

"We will only pay if you have a written rental agreement from a licensed rental company. This Benefit does not cover motorcycles. "

No cover whatsoever for motorcycle accidents (except medical cover IF you have an appropriate licence to ride that motorbike)
    I guess in LOS you need to be renting from one of the major car rental companies and not one of the hundreds of small backyard operators if you want to be covered for insurance excess.

Here's the entire policy wording if anyone is interested.

Thanks for that Norabunga. Just found something for 1Cover

http://www.1cover.com.au/assets/pdf/...DS-22Oct10.pdf

Look at pages 75 and 76. As long as you have taken out insurance on the Vehicle they will pay the excess and medical cost iff you have an Australian Motorcycle Licence and not under influance of drugs/Alcohol you are covered
    Last edited by G4orce; 7th March 2011 at 08:09.

From P#48 of your policy: "Words with special meanings"

"Rental Vehicle” means a campervan/motorhome that does not exceed
    4.5 tonne, a sedan, hatchback or station-wagon, four wheel drive or mini
    bus/people mover rented from a licensed motor vehicle rental company."

No mention of motorbikes as rental vehicles so yes, you are covered for medical if involved in an accident as a licensed rider (although I think there is 50,000 baht medical cover included with all Thai registered vehicles anyway) but no cover for damage to a motorbike.

Same as my policy re: "
    licensed motor vehicle rental company" - Avoid back-yarders.

That is very interesting, I skipped that part when i was looking through it. That is a real pain in the rear

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    I use Worldcare and in their disclaimer they say the following - As long as you have a Australian Bike Licence or if your a passenger the rider has a licence for the country your currently riding in you will be covered.

Travel Insurance Australia | Travel Insurance Quote | Worldcare

Quote Originally Posted by Condo View Post
    I use Worldcare and in their disclaimer they say the following - As long as you have a Australian Bike Licence or if your a passenger the rider has a licence for the country your currently riding in you will be covered.

Travel Insurance Australia | Travel Insurance Quote | Worldcare
    Does it also state what a rental vehicle is defined as? Does that only cover medical costs if in an accident or include damages to bike, infrastructural etc.
    Oh I hate fine print, Insurance companies will get out of anything if they have the chance

----------------------------------------
    Last edited by Condo; 8th March 2011 at 10:14. Reason: Wrong post

Just got off the phone to 1Cover and was told they Do NotCover a motorcycle/excess but do cover medical costs if you have an accident and have a motorcycle licence

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    From P#48 of your policy: "Words with special meanings"

"Rental Vehicle” means a campervan/motorhome that does not exceed
    4.5 tonne, a sedan, hatchback or station-wagon, four wheel drive or mini
    bus/people mover rented from a licensed motor vehicle rental company."

No mention of motorbikes[I] as rental vehicles so yes, you are covered for medical if involved in an accident as a licensed rider (although I think there is 50,000 baht medical cover included with all Thai registered vehicles anyway) but no cover for damage to a motorbike.

Just got off the phone to 1Cover and was told they Do NotCover a motorcycle/excess but do cover medical costs if you have an accident and have a motorcycle licence
    Told ya so!

If you take the optional insurance on a motorbike in CM for example, Mr Mechanic and Mr Beer both charge 5,000 bht excess for a scooter and 20,000 for a big bike.
    20,000 = AU $650 - $700, so it's gonna hurt a bit but won't bankrupt you.

If the bike is lost or stolen though, it's going to cost you somewhere between 50% - 100% of the value of the bike.
    Last edited by Norabunga; 14th March 2011 at 16:51. Reason: to add the last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Told ya so!

If you take the optional insurance on a motorbike in CM for example, Mr Mechanic and Mr Beer both charge 5,000 bht excess for a scooter and 20,000 for a big bike.
    20,000 = AU $650 - $700, so it's gonna hurt a bit but won't bankrupt you.

If the bike is lost or stolen though, it's going to cost you somewhere between 50% - 100% of the value of the bike.
    5555, Just wanted to confirm also I found out that Worldcare do cover the excess (so will need to take insurance on the bike you hire any way) and give you just about the same cover as 1Cover but is about $15 more for the cover. $15 for a little peace and mind is a good spend IMO. I have this in writing so even better

5555, Just wanted to confirm also I found out that Worldcare do cover the excess (so will need to take insurance on the bike you hire any way) and give you just about the same cover as 1Cover but is about $15 more for the cover. $15 for a little peace and mind is a good spend IMO. I have this in writing so even better
    You are correct they cover up to A$3000 towards the excess.

Also read below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have booked with them for this trip. I was very happy with there policies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast