Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All this for 51 baht

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

All this for 51 baht

Bangkok Cabbie Stabs American Passenger Troy Lee Pilkington to Death - Video | Chiang Rai Times English Language Newspaper

"Police have arrested a taxi driver who has stabbed to death an American passenger Troy Lee Pilkington 50, on Sukhumvit Road, Bang Na on Saturday night after an argument over the fare turned into a violent struggle."

"When he reached the spot where the fatal attack took place, the road was jammed with traffic. Pilkington yelled at Mr Cherdchai and claimed he had cheated him on the fare. He got out of the car and walked away with the taxi meter showing 51 baht."

Man loses his life, another now on a murder charge all over 51b.

Not condoning or condemning either here, as no real details of why the passenger arked up at the driver, but regardless, if you are going to walk from an agreed fare, why not just pay what you owe.

Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 8th July 2013 at 12:22.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    The "investigation" will probably lead to the same question....

Retarded. Must be more to it

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Why does a BKK taxi driver feel the need to carry a sword ? (Rhetorical)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Expat, tired of feeling like getting ripped off by locals hails taxi home.
    Cabbie tired of picking up losers who won't pay any more than meter, picks up expat.
    Both need a wake up call that never comes.
    The standard shakedown move is made, confrontation ensues, another sad Farang exit.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    It seems strange that someone who has taken the time to learn to speak Thai fluently would fall into such a newby act....
    I bet there is more to it than what is siad here....

The taxi driver panicked after he fled the scene disposing of the murder weopon in one place and his taxi vest elsewhere...Sounds strange.
    Last edited by wabbits; 8th July 2013 at 14:11.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Agree Wabbs.
    How can you say the driver has cheated you when your stuck in traffic and only 51bt into the trip??

Did he think the driver went that way to deliberately get caught in traffic and as such to have the meter run up while waiting? I don't know, does the meter continue while stopped??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I saw the re-enactment of this on Thai TV last night....

people just never learn do they.....never and i mean NEVER argue with a tuk tuk, taxi or baht bus driver in LoS....they all carry weapons and will use them if they think they are being ripped off or threatened in any way

51 baht ended up being the most expensive lesson of the guys life....a stupid and pointless way to die....I hope the taxi driver does a lengthy prison spell...he's likely to get a slap on the wrist saying self defence (with a sword) and all

Crazy stuff, dead for less than $2! you'd have to think there was more to it, but maybe not,

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    I think the lesson is be mindful of what you say when burred up. Throwing around insults and sarcastic remarks at a Thai can lead to dire consequences. Not like in the West where you can disrespect someone in public and expect not to get called out on it or violently assaulted.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    ....Not like in the West where you can disrespect someone in public and expect not to get called out on it or violently assaulted.

You've never been to Northbridge in Perth or Kings Cross Sydney then...?

Meanwhile, our local taxi drivers appear to have more of a rapist look about them...

11 taxi drivers banned over sexual assaults

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Agree Wabbs.
    How can you say the driver has cheated you when your stuck in traffic and only 51bt into the trip??

Did he think the driver went that way to deliberately get caught in traffic and as such to have the meter run up while waiting? I don't know, does the meter continue while stopped??
    Not sure how they operate over there. But Aussie taxi meters do tick over whilst stopped, but only enough to cover any fuel you're burning in traffic. You can stand still for ten minutes and the meter won't go up as high as a 2 minute drive, so not really a tactic you can use to get more money out of people here.

But who knows how their meters are setup over there.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

^ same here...its just a small tickover...its not like the taxi driver was gonna make a whole lotta money from sitting in traffic on the Suk

sounds like the expat "lost it" to me.....a very dangerous thing to do with a TD here as I said before...then compounding that by running at the TD in attack mode when he had a machette in his hand was less than wise

people always go on about "Thai Face" here...so what do you think the expats behaviour was....blaming the TD for the traffic, refusing tp pay, walking off, then running back in attack mode when called on it (provided that is the true account)

I once had a slight disagreement with a baht bus driver driver in Patts who picked us up on 2nd road...I asked him if he was doing the loop/heading to walking street (where we were going) and he said yes, so we got in....we get to the loop around and he heads off to Naklua...we ring the bell and get out...I walk around to pay and question him in Thai as to why no WS and he cracks the ****s...you pay now, you pay now, fecking farang...so I throw the 20 baht in through the window and we walk off....the little fecker chased me down the road calling me a fecking this and a fecking that....I just stood my ground and smiled back at him....after a minute or so of him waving his hands and shaping up mai thai style at me in a mexican stand off from 10m away he must have remembered he had passengers back in his baht bus and ran back....fecking nutso

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ same here...its just a small tickover...its not like the taxi driver was gonna make a whole lotta money from sitting in traffic on the Suk

sounds like the expat "lost it" to me.....a very dangerous thing to do with a TD here as I said before...then compounding that by running at the TD in attack mode when he had a machette in his hand was less than wise

people always go on about "Thai Face" here...so what do you think the expats behaviour was....blaming the TD for the traffic, refusing tp pay, walking off, then running back in attack mode when called on it (provided that is the true account)

I once had a slight disagreement with a baht bus driver driver in Patts who picked us up on 2nd road...I asked him if he was doing the loop/heading to walking street (where we were going) and he said yes, so we got in....we get to the loop around and he heads off to Naklua...we ring the bell and get out...I walk around to pay and question him in Thai as to why no WS and he cracks the ****s...you pay now, you pay now, fecking farang...so I throw the 20 baht in through the window and we walk off....the little fecker chased me down the road calling me a fecking this and a fecking that....I just stood my ground and smiled back at him....after a minute or so of him waving his hands and shaping up mai thai style at me in a mexican stand off from 10m away he must have remembered he had passengers back in his baht bus and ran back....fecking nutso
    Sounds like he was some sort of a village idiot type.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Sounds like he was some sort of a village idiot type.
    maybe....but I have often seen some expats here just totally explode over some little incident...way out of proportion to whatever injustice was perceived to have been delivered upon them...its kinda like they have been sat in that traffic for years with that meter just ticking over in their head the whole time

mind you...this not to excuse the TD behaviour...he killed a man and got that machette out of his boot well before the guy ran back at him

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Wanted to get a taxi last week from Soi 22 to Soi 4 as it was raining. Couple wouldn't use a metre, the one that did said when we got in if traffic slow a tip would be nice.

farang should of paid and not do a runner but no one deserves to die over 51 Baht. very sad
    Last edited by josho; 8th July 2013 at 23:43.

Part of the problem in BKK seems to be that under the current system, going to and from certain places and certain times of the day can easily end up costing the cab driver more than the meter price. Often cab drivers will just say no to a fare and leave it at that. Sometimes they will offer a choice of meter or fixed price and even if you choose meter they will insist on the higher fixed amount Usually if they later feel conditions were unfavourable to them.

Foreigners on the other hand are more likely to insist on metered trip prices in spite of varying conditions. The extreme of this is when there are 400 Tuk Tuks all asking 400 baht for a 2k trip just because its raining.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Part of the problem in BKK seems to be that under the current system, going to and from certain places and certain times of the day can easily end up costing the cab driver more than the meter price. Often cab drivers will just say no to a fare and leave it at that. Sometimes they will offer a choice of meter or fixed price and even if you choose meter they will insist on the higher fixed amount Usually if they later feel conditions were unfavourable to them.

Foreigners on the other hand are more likely to insist on metered trip prices in spite of varying conditions. The extreme of this is when there are 400 Tuk Tuks all asking 400 baht for a 2k trip just because its raining.
    i think BKK taxis are some of the most easy taxis i have dealt with
    if some don't want the meter, the next one will take you with meter

if a price needs to be negotiated, they are usually pretty fair
    nothing outrageous
    and almost all i have had have been pretty damn friendly
    plus, the cars are usually nice and have great a/c

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    apparently the guy worked as an executive at Caterpillar
    what a waste over 51baht

dude was living the dream, probably paid well over 100-150kusd/yr in a developing country

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast