Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Thai Cuisine

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Royal Thai Cuisine

Has anyone ever tried this type of food?

i have heard it mentioned before but can't really find out on google what exactly it is

obviously it is some sort of traditional Thai food slightly different from everyday food
    my wife says "not same food on the street"

I am going to a restaurant tonight that has a 9 course Royal Thai cuisine menu
    any clues?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    to me its all about presentation, balance and a lack of real chilli spice....very ornate and small servings in the correct bowls/plates etc....also very fine in how its ingredients are chopped/prepared....the basic dishes are the same without the Issan peasant and street food

large floral table settings and fruit carvings are also used as decoration
    Last edited by bacwaan; 11th August 2013 at 06:15.

wow
    that was perfect
    so all about nothing really!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    wow
    that was perfect
    The form vs content issue, eh!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    There used to be a fruit carver at a table outside of a Thai restaurant in Jung Ceylon.
    He was very talented.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I wonder what sort of food the royals eat?

Whether the K!ng gets a sneaky 7/11 toasty delivered to him or not
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I wonder what sort of food the royals eat?

Whether the K!ng gets a sneaky 7/11 toasty delivered to him or not
    Royal Thai ! ... 555

Very much the same as Jo cooks; freshest of ingredients, high proportion of vegetables, salads and soups ... as Bacwaan suggests, not too much chili.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    No toilet paper rolls on table...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

My lunch

yung rai kwa suea

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ no carrot? 55
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ no carrot? 55
    The 120kg of carrots is just a decoy. "That's not Jonty in the freezer, it's a bag of carrots...here, I have receipt. 555
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The 120kg of carrots is just a decoy. "That's not Jonty in the freezer, it's a bag of carrots...here, I have receipt. 555
    It's Dexter all over isn't it... 55555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

As a big big fan of fine dining I don't see the combination of it with Thai food. Thai food should not look fancy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday View Post
    As a big big fan of fine dining I don't see the combination of it with Thai food. Thai food should not look fancy I think.
    I don't see why not presentation , quality of ingredients can only add to the experience

wow
    that was perfect
    So how was the meal , was it more expensive than you usual Thai restaurants , if so was it worth the extra ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    So how was the meal , was it more expensive than you usual Thai restaurants , if so was it worth the extra ?
    i woke up sick and have been since( think i got a parasite in Colombia, waiting for results)
    this is the restaurant, the chef worked at Nahm, which was talked about on here on another thread
    we will go when i get better

Maenam - An authentic, world-class Thai restaurant in Vancouver from Chef Angus An.

but yes, the entrees look about 3-4cad more than your regular thai restaurant

to be honest, although i have started to enjoy thai food more this year, i just used this as collateral so that my wife agrees to go to Vij's next, an incredible Indian restaurant in Vancouver( some have named it top 5 in the world!)

Vij's

i woke up sick and have been since( think i got a parasite in Colombia, waiting for results)
    this is the restaurant, the chef worked at Nahm, which was talked about on here on another thread
    we will go when i get better

Maenam - An authentic, world-class Thai restaurant in Vancouver from Chef Angus An.

but yes, the entrees look about 3-4cad more than your regular thai restaurant

to be honest, although i have started to enjoy thai food more this year, i just used this as collateral so that my wife agrees to go to Vij's next, an incredible Indian restaurant in Vancouver( some have named it top 5 in the world!)

Vij's
    $10 for som tam Thai is bit rich and $15 for stir-fry morning glory is crazy. Other prepared dishes which take a lot of time to assemble and cook are pretty fair.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    $10 for som tam Thai is bit rich and $15 for stir-fry morning glory is crazy. Other prepared dishes which take a lot of time to assemble and cook are pretty fair.
    compared to what though? Thailand? you can't really compare prices to casual thai restaurants in Thailand
    $9-10 is what som tam is in pretty much any restaurant, the pappaya is expensive

this is where my wife works, more of an average thai restaurant, most entrees are $14

Menu

and if you were to go to what people consider more than just casual thai restaurants in Thailand, the prices wouldn't be that much cheaper
    i used to go to Silk a lot when Robert ran it, and i think a lot of items where in the 300-450baht range( could be slightly off on that, long time ago)

compared to what though? Thailand? you can't really compare prices to casual thai restaurants in Thailand
    $9-10 is what som tam is in pretty much any restaurant, the pappaya is expensive

this is where my wife works, more of an average thai restaurant, most entrees are $14

Menu

and if you were to go to what people consider more than just casual thai restaurants in Thailand, the prices wouldn't be that much cheaper
    i used to go to Silk a lot when Robert ran it, and i think a lot of items where in the 300-450baht range( could be slightly off on that, long time ago)
    If papaya/paw paw is exxy, as a sub-tropical fruit and probably NOT imported usually as unripe, fair enough. Is morning glory an exotic vegetable in Canada?
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast