Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Drugs planted in couple's bag on Thai holiday

Drugs planted in couple's bag on Thai holiday

Australian couple holidaying in Thailand say they came close to being "framed" for drug trafficking after a hotel porter allegedly planted drugs in their suitcases.

Dave, 33, and Georgia, 29, stored their luggage with staff at their hotel ahead of their afternoon flight out of Bangkok.

"As we let the bags down, [the hotel porter] wanted to know our itinerary, when we were going to fly, where we were going to and how long we were going to be there for," Dave told A Current Affair.
    The couple went for a walk but decided to return to the hotel after feeling uneasy about the number of questions the staff member asked.
    They collected their luggage, headed to the airport and proceeded to check in.
    "I realised my bag was heavy so took both bags off and started re-arranging things," Dave said.

"I noticed Georgia's lock was gone, my bag had been tampered with and then and there realised something was wrong."
    While Georgia said she just wanted to check in, Dave decided to take the suitcases to a nearby hotel.

"Dave basically said to me 'check these suitcases now, I think there's something in these suitcases'," she said.
    They located what appeared to be drugs.
    "I've grabbed it and just ran straight to the toilet and flushed it down and rinsed out the bag," Dave said.
    "I went back to my suitcase… searching and searching and searching."
    The couple contacted the Australian Embassy who instructed them to get rid of the suitcases and wash their clothes.
    They spent another two days in Bangkok before changing their travel plans.
    "We were about to be framed," Georgia said.
    Dave believes they were part of a "bigger plan" that may have involved being forced to pay thousands of dollars to airport authorities when the drugs were found.
    "It was hell. You don't know who you can trust," he said.

The Australian Consular Division helped Dave and Georgia flee Thailand.
    "Our responsibility as the Australian Government is for the welfare and safety of Australian citizens abroad," Justin Brown from the department said.
    "Even what we consider soft drugs in Australia - any possession of those in southeast Asia is a very serious crime indeed.
    "Our advice is to try and stay at reputable hotels. The more they do that, the better the chances of avoiding these problems."

Drugs planted in couple's bag on Thai holiday

sounds a little suss to me, what's everyone else's thoughts on this ?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I did read about that,seems their bags were hacked into...action taken seems appropriate but no clue as to what the idea was.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

one thing that stood out to me was they didn't even mention the hotel that allegedly put drugs in there bags.

I think it's BS, but they've sold their story . . .

they found a handful of marijuana in a small bag
    yet 'Georgia' says they noticed the bag was overweight? Either it was a 'small bag' or 10 kilos, make your mind up

and The Age reported:

found marijuana in a small pocket of a bag inside Georgia's suitcase.

26 August 2013: An Australian couple who told the Australian media that their luggage was tampered with and marijuana planted in it as they were leaving Bangkok may not have been telling the truth, the Phuket Gazette has found.

Georgia (not her real name) told an Australian radio station that she and her boyfriend believe they were being set up to be scammed by corrupt Thai customs officials.

When the couple checked in at Suvarnabhumi International Airport for their flight to Phuket, Georgia said, they learned that their luggage was overweight and were told to either lighten the suitcase or pay a fee.

They decided to leave the airport and go to a nearby hotel to repack the bag, at which point they noticed damage to two of their bags – on one, the lock was missing, and another had been cut through. On closer examination, they say, they found a handful of marijuana in a small bag in one of the suitcases.

After they discovered the marijuana, they contacted the Australian Embassy in Bangkok for advice, Georgia reported to the radio station and also to the Australian national daily, The Age.

The embassy, Georgia said, advised them to throw away the contraband and change their travel plans for their own safety.

However, when contacted by the Gazette today, the Australian Embassy in Bangkok stated that it had no knowledge of the conversation.

“We have not received any reports of this kind. This is the first I have heard of it,” an embassy staffer stated.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    That's probably down to the strict anti defamation laws that exist in Thailand.

The story sounds plausible. Everyone should always check their bags before heading to the airport anyway, especially if leaving them with the hotel to watch whilst you kill a few hours.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Once they were through the bag scan at the front of BKK airport they were fairly safe getting through to Phuket,no customs checks there for domestic.

Then take the bag back to the hotel to repack it?? why not there? hotel already checked out from?....see people doing it at check in all the time including myself twice.

Could all be a fabrication.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    I think it's BS, but they've sold their story . . .

yet 'Georgia' says they noticed the bag was overweight? Either it was a 'small bag' or 10 kilos, make your mind up

and The Age reported:
    + 1

your right there mate i think this story is BS to.

like seriously how the hell would you know if your bag was over weight, there was only roughly 2 to 3 ounces, 1 ounce = 28 grams, 3 ounces = 84 grams 555
    Last edited by josho; 30th August 2013 at 12:59.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I also feel it could be BS but what is the purpose of it??

When ever i travel, domestic or international, I have locks on all sections of my bag, but i also use wire zip tie's on each as well, I cut them very close to the edge so not very noticeable. It is the first thing I check when retrieving my bags.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Once they were through the bag scan at the front of BKK airport they were fairly safe getting through to Phuket,no customs checks there for domestic.

Then take the bag back to the hotel to repack it?? why not there? hotel already checked out from?....see people doing it at check in all the time including myself twice.

Could all be a fabrication.
    I believe it. They were probably scared and wanted to get out of the airport ASAP. It's not like it's never happened before..
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    sounds a little suss to me, what's everyone else's thoughts on this ?
    Decided they wanted a couple of extra days holiday and needed an excuse for work

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Not knowing all the details, or the people involved, all we can do is speculate. It is possible the story is true, but who knows for sure. Why go to such a ruse if you are not guilty? Why go to the extra inconvenience? If you found out you were being set up for something that you didn't do then your first thought would be to escape as quickly as possible. You would not know who to trust or who your friends were. It is fairly common knowledge that the Thai authorities can not all be trusted. Police corruption is common knowledge. There are border police throughout Thailand that work shake-down schemes on unsuspecting travelers. I personally know two guys who were scammed by Thai police at a Cambodian border. When you don't have any backup you are at the mercy of the corrupt police.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    If you wanted to shake out some cash, then wouldn't you want to pick them up before they get to the airport. Too many cameras and scrutiny at the airport.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

We'll never know.

No news media I could find has run any follow-up story
    I still fail to understand how they noticed their suddenly overweight bags (both of them according to this article below) then found a few grams inside one bag?
    And the Australian Embassy denial that they had been contacted/involved?
    Was it just 'Georgia' having a laugh on talkback radio?

About to check in for a flight from Phuket to Bangkok, the couple noticed their bags were overweight, but it wasn't until they realised that one of the bags was missing a lock that they thought something was strange.
    They took their bags to a nearby hotel and, after a search, found marijuana in a small pocket of a bag inside Georgia's suitcase.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    We'll never know.

No news media I could find has run any follow-up story
    I still fail to understand how they noticed their suddenly overweight bags (both of them according to this article below) then found a few grams inside one bag?
    And the Australian Embassy denial that they had been contacted/involved?
    Was it just 'Georgia' having a laugh on talkback radio?
    I agree with you that nobody would notice the extra weight in luggage. You could add 3 pounds to the weight and nobody would notice. That was just a story they made up to cover their ass. However, it is quite conceivable that they DID get suspicious of something not quite right by the actions of others around them. That might have made them want to check their luggage.

And, you are right about follow-up stories in Asian news. They have big headlines and then it's all forgotten and on to the next story... even though the first one hasn't been answered. I've seen that time and time again, even with important stuff like murders and suspicious deaths.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    maybe it was there Andy Warhol moment

And what descent druggy/crook is going to risk losing their drugs on a lame scam like this. Sounds like a tall tale.

Maybe the porter was just playing a f**cked up joke on them by using talcum powder in there bags because they were crappy guests and didn't tip him enough 555