Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Thai Road toll

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Thais might be a little more obedient with road rules if their were real consequences like Daos fine.

A start would be with issuing Police with at least a motorbike and a radio ...as it is you can run a half hearted roadblock and know you wont get chased. And its therefore near impossible for them to pull alongside you while you are moving...its only very rarely you see Police in a pursuit car ( just south of Surat , and on the hwy to Korat is the only place Ive seen them)

BUT , we'd be getting even more compliance if you couldnt weasel out of an infringement with a 200 baht bribe as well. ... so dare I say it?
    A wage that cops would be far less willing to loose if caught being bribed. AND their would have to be immediate and severe consequences for those Police found corrupt.

I dont want to sound anti-Thai , but 'rules' arent something the Thais I know see as 'rigid'.. if there ever was a race that saw 'Da Rules' as flexible , it is them.
    As such , tasking somebody , anybody , with getting order on Thai roads , is a bloody big ask...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Thailand does have a poor set of cards when it comes to reducing “road toll”..
    It would require more than a single thing, a change of culture maybe..

As mentioned, Thai police are good at collecting, but not really so much in enforcing laws. On top of that, there is no central structure in the police force. It’s enforced per district, and over the district line it becomes “not our problem”.

But also the Thai culture in itself, the tendency to over tolerate anything and being non-confronting.. It puts a stop to social control, even where it is needed..

And the concept of self-regulating , no media focus on traffic at all (no other than showing horrible pictures of the casualties, and the attention for it at schools..

But then again, tolerant, not overly regulated, non-confronting, easy to pay your way out of trouble.. These are many of the reasons I like Thailand.. And would not want to see it become like here.. So traffic hazards a bad that comes with the good? And if the bad was changed, would that be without affecting the good things about Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    but it took us a long time
    i feel naked without a seatbelt on now, but up until i was 15yrs old, that was not the norm

it takes time for things to be ingrained
    Thai's have been driving cars since the 1900ís and they still havenít realised that seat belts save lifeís. What the?

I know of 30 something Thais who do not wear a seat belt because now one else does and itís not enforced.

I see 12 month old kids sitting in the footwell of cars traveling 120klms. Why? Because the kid cries when they put it in a child seat. Come on Thai parents.

The thai government should to run an safety education campaign and police it. Now they stopped the first car buyers scheme maybe they can throw some money at it.

And how about those poor kids who pump your gas. Poor buggers are going to die of cancer from breathing in all those toxic fumes. I just feel sorry for them

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    Thai's have been driving cars since the 1900’s and they still haven’t realised that seat belts save life’s. What the?

I know of 30 something Thais who do not wear a seat belt because now one else does and it’s not enforced.

I see 12 month old kids sitting in the footwell of cars traveling 120klms. Why? Because the kid cries when they put it in a child seat. Come on Thai parents.

The thai government should to run an safety education campaign and police it. Now they stopped the first car buyers scheme maybe they can throw some money at it.

And how about those poor kids who pump your gas. Poor buggers are going to die of cancer from breathing in all those toxic fumes. I just feel sorry for them
    but in the states we didn't use seatbelts until it was heavily campaigned for and enforced by fines and the police were consistent with policing it
    now, it would be weird to see someone not use a seatbelt in North America

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    but in the states we didn't use seatbelts until it was heavily campaigned for and enforced by fines and the police were consistent with policing it
    This.

And I could only imagine how the Thais would respond to a Handicapped only parking space!555

Yes
    ^yeah good luck with that idea.
    I live in a condo with a small area designed for "big bike parking"and a very big area for small bike parking,well signed,
    I cant park in the "Big "area because its full of small bikes.

I also think a lot of the problem on the roads comes down to no expectation of consequences for your actions,
    You can drive home
    drunk
    no seat belts
    no lights on your vehicle ( my pet hate)
    no helmet
    no licence
    and there is probably a 99% chance you wont be stopped,so you just do it.

In most western countries you would not even think about taking your vehicle on the road with no lights,and would not get far if you did.
    I see Thailand as a country completely incapable of enforcement of is road laws.

So more deaths over Songkran than the whole of OZ for a year.

Have to agree.
    Driving with no lights and driving down the freeway the wrong way are my new pet hates , doing both at the same time I absolutely loathe.
    ( back home it used to be not using indicators! 55)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    This.

And I could only imagine how the Thais would respond to a Handicapped only parking space!555
    Hey Slam - dig the avatar man !! 555

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    re road toll figures
    The World Health Organisation figures include people who die as a result of a road accident.
    The Thai figures we usually see in the newspapers, Songkran/New Year are for people who die at the scene of the accident
    The WHO total is almost double, so when we read that eg 300 died over Songkran another 300 may also die hours/days even months later.
    And don't even think about the people left with permament injuries/disabilities as a result of all those accidents

The most recent I could find from WHO - and note it is for six months, not twelve:

Thailand is ranked ninth highest in the world for the number of deaths on its roads, according to an annual report by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The country had 13,766 road fatalities, or an estimated 38.7 deaths per 100,000 people, between May 11 and Dec 13, 2011
    hard to believe - but that's an improvement on 2010, when:

WHO data - Road Traffic Accidents Deaths in Thailand reached 29,778 or 5.75% of total deaths.
    The age adjusted Death Rate is 42.94 per 100,000 of population ranks Thailand #6 in the world.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Wear seat belts ever try to put one on in a taxi..
    How often have you been in a taxi and wonder why the driver does not fix the obviously square rear wheel and hope like hell it stays on long enough to get you to your destination.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Minibus drivers to have a licence to drive them and not the 500bt under the table type...Proper you have people in your care type licence.
    Seat belts in Mini buses would be nice too....Had some of the most scary experiences in them.

Yeah I get that, it was also introduced in Aust 30+ years ago.

Yes
    More major causes I see
    Overtaking on blind bends ( often done by big coaches)
    Lane discipline,fast vehicles in the slow lane overtaking the slow vehicles in the fast lane,
    The slow vehicle does 60ks in the fast lane because they need to turn right about 5ks up the road.
    this causes the constant lane changing,
    No indication of lane changing
    and like Chob says the cars and bikes coming at you on the wrong side of the freeway ...with no lights.

I almost totaled a thai family one night on a country road near Uttradit,dad mum and two kids on a bike with no lights riding in the middle of the road because the left side
    had a bad surface,no street lights,I had slowed to sixty not long before,I was almost on top of them before I saw them,swerved and missed them by a few centimeters.

Now I get of the road at about 6.00pm when I do long distance stuff.

Even in Phuket I had trouble with this,around Naiharn the street lighting is bad and you can't use high beam because of oncoming traffic,had a few near misses there also with bikes no lights.

Another thing I have noticed is my car has heavily tinted windows which is great in the day,but can compound the whole no light thing,the side windows much heavier tint than front screen.
    I often run my window down approaching anything goes intersections,after a few incidents in CM.

I am much more comfortable on my bike at night than in the car around CM.

My 'extra cab' pickup is sold without seat belts in the back , so there is a starting point.
    Bkk taxis for some reason 'bury' or remove one half of their seat belts , so theres another.
    Mandatory wearing of helmets IS being Policed here ( well not here as in Kamala - but Patong etc) so that should help with deaths , let alone reducing the dreadful burden of nursing brain damaged family at home.

My tg claims she was ruined financially for over a year when one of her brothers had an accident.
    He was driving along a country road on a scooter with no lights and a side car, and hit a scooter doing the exact same thing with a sidecar. The result was he lossed an eye and had a smashed skull and spent months in hospital with her paying.
    The logic of riding with no lights just confounds me.

So is 26,000 deaths a year a ball park figure for LoS?

"Another thing I have noticed is my car has heavily tinted windows which is great in the day,but can compound the whole no light thing,the side windows much heavier tint than front screen.''

Have noticed this on 2 different friends cars.
    And neices Fortuner , as well as a very thick windscreen strut that blocks RH vision badly.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Thailand does have a poor set of cards when it comes to reducing “road toll”..
    It would require more than a single thing, a change of culture maybe..

As mentioned, Thai police are good at collecting, but not really so much in enforcing laws. On top of that, there is no central structure in the police force. It’s enforced per district, and over the district line it becomes “not our problem”.

But also the Thai culture in itself, the tendency to over tolerate anything and being non-confronting.. It puts a stop to social control, even where it is needed..

And the concept of self-regulating , no media focus on traffic at all (no other than showing horrible pictures of the casualties, and the attention for it at schools..

But then again, tolerant, not overly regulated, non-confronting, easy to pay your way out of trouble.. These are many of the reasons I like Thailand.. And would not want to see it become like here.. So traffic hazards a bad that comes with the good? And if the bad was changed, would that be without affecting the good things about Thailand?

It just does not seem a priority to drive a solution. It could start at school for this generation. Coupled with a well resourced campaign for a social paradigm shift.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

This is the most dangerous thing Thai drivers do IMO and the only thing that still infuriates me - not keeping wholly within the lane .
    Honestly , you have to take extreme care when passing a car up front on a dual carriageway if theres a bend approaching, you can bet that half the time the slower moving car will wander across into your lane to straighten out the bend and force you to break hard , or near squeeze you up onto the centre island.
    Many Thai drivers will drive in TWO lanes for extended periods , oblivious to a silent line up of traffic waiting to pass...

Malaysian killed and two others in Pattaya Highway 7 crash - Pattaya News Clippings - Thailand Forum

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    This is the most dangerous thing Thai drivers do IMO and the only thing that still infuriates me - not keeping wholly within the lane .
    Honestly , you have to take extreme care when passing a car up front on a dual carriageway if theres a bend approaching, you can bet that half the time the slower moving car will wander across into your lane to straighten out the bend and force you to break hard , or near squeeze you up onto the centre island.
    Many Thai drivers will drive in TWO lanes for extended periods , oblivious to a silent line up of traffic waiting to pass...

Malaysian killed and two others in Pattaya Highway 7 crash - Pattaya News Clippings - Thailand Forum
    C'mon Chobby - you've been here long enough to realize why they paint lane markings on roads -
    1. to let you know the road is sealed
    2. to line up your bonnet emblem

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Seven Dangerous Days - 2013-14 New Year

The annual road toll stats, and twisted stats they are too, and this is the New year 'Seven Dangerous Days' when reality is the other 358 are also dangerous.
    The World Health Organisation reported there were over 26,000 road-accident related fatalities in 2012. An average of about 70 every day. The difference between WHO stats and the ones we see in the news are that WHO covers deaths that occur away from scene of accident - be it hospital or home etc, caused by the accident.
    Newspaper ones record deaths art scene of accident, roughly half.

39 die on first of New Year's '7 dangerous days'
    The Sunday Nation December 29, 2013

Pathum Thani

A total of 39 people were killed and 399 others injured in road accidents yesterday, the first day of the so-called "seven dangerous days" of the New Year holiday period, the Road Safety Centre announced.

With drunk driving considered the root cause of most accidents, provincial authorities set up checkpoints to screen drivers, including those responsible for public transport.

Transport Ministry inspector-general Chanchai Suwisuthakul said the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department's figures showed the numbers had increased from first-day figures last year, when 32 people were killed and 321 injured in 313 road accidents.

The major causes of accidents this year was drunk-driving, at 30 per cent, followed by speeding, at 23 per cent.

Of the accidents which occurred, 82 per cent involved motorcycles and 7 per cent involved pick-up trucks.

Some 2,200 checkpoints were manned by 62,780 officials around the country, with 73,944 violations recorded. Nearly 22,000 drivers failed to produce a licence and a similar number - 21,682 - motorcyclists were stopped for riding without helmets.

Horrendous traffic

Roads to the Northeast and the North were congested yesterday and bus stations were crowded, as people headed home for the New Year break. Nakhon Ratchasima's Mitraparp Highway was paralysed with 10km-long tailbacks, forcing police to open special lanes and detours.

not counted in the SDD stats, this one from Thursday:
    an accident on Thursday in which 29 passengers died after the bus they were on skidded off a bridge and plunged 50 metres, killing 29 and seriously injuring four, in Phetchabunís Lom Sak district.
    See also: Road death toll in Thailand among highest in the world
    Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.
    These statistics were released at a press conference by Vice Interior Minister Silapachai Jarukasemratana yesterday.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I write down my goals. Yes they change. I look at them every day. No. 17 is reduce Thai road toll. Strange nah Ting tong even from my wife.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast