The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Thai Road toll

Cadet Gold
    Glad i wasnt the guy in the ute must have seen the whole thing then had to see if anyone survived not pleasant .
    Distantpeak likes this.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Video taken by one of the 4 males aged 21-27 just before they died in an avoidable accident - Saturday, nor'east of Korat

https://www.facebook.com/10000629631...3404473546076/
    They left the road and vehicle was sliced in 2 by a tree.
    No survivors; at least they didn't take out another vehicle/people; but won't have any impact, just another avoidable crash

Three youths were killed and the fourth died later at a hospital after a pickup truck in which they were travelling lost control and crashed into a huge roadside tree in Phimai district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Saturday(Apr 14).
    Police said that the four youths had just celebrated their Songkran in Ban Tambon Hin Lat, Huey Klang district and had drunk whisky before they set off for a ride to Phimai district.
    While heading for Phimai district, the group live-streamed their journey with the driver being seen sipping whisky and appeared to be not focusing on driving while the others giggled.
    As the truck was approaching Ban Thavornpattana, about 9 kilometres from Phimai district, the driver suddenly lost control of the truck which overturned and then crashed into a roadside tree.
    The impact was so strong that the engine was thrown out of the vehicle, killing three of them, including the driver, at the scene of the fatal crash. The fourth was pronounced dead at the hospital.

A total of 323 Songkran celebrants were killed and 3,140 others were injured in the past five days of the Songkran festival.
    According to the Road Safety Centre, only on April 15, or the fifth day of the 7-day dangerous period starting April 11, 69 people died and 589 were injured in a total of 552 road accidents in single day on Sunday.

Most fatal accidents were blamed on drink driving (42.03%), and speeding (25.72%).
    Motorcycle crashes recorded most of the road accidents (78.53%).
    Last edited by Hatari; 16th April 2018 at 17:06.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    A total of 323 Songkran celebrants were killed and 3,140 others were injured
    Guessing not all these people were celebrating Songkran, be a reasonable number killed/injured while simply going about their daily lives, wiped out by a drunk who was 'celebrating'

Cadet Gold
    i dont understand how any country can accept this sort of road toll for a short holiday , to me it is just mind boggling that it happens year after year and yep its all good . i caught a mini bus when i was there last and the bloody driver was so concerned about his mobile phone he nearly had 3 accidents until another thai scalded him and that was only on a short trip to the foreign affairs joint, thailand says it is on its way to becoming a first world country not with figures like this it aint these are just not acceptible and shouldnt be in any country ,hatari is right at least they didnt take out some innocent person well i suppose the passengers were innocent the monks will be working overtime with this sort of carnage .
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    i dont understand how any country can accept this sort of road toll for a short holiday , to me it is just mind boggling that it happens year after year and yep its all good . i caught a mini bus when i was there last and the bloody driver was so concerned about his mobile phone he nearly had 3 accidents until another thai scalded him and that was only on a short trip to the foreign affairs joint, thailand says it is on its way to becoming a first world country not with figures like this it aint these are just not acceptible and shouldnt be in any country ,hatari is right at least they didnt take out some innocent person well i suppose the passengers were innocent the monks will be working overtime with this sort of carnage .
    No-one 'accepts' it Crispy but when you look for remedies the problem is massive .... encompassing education, road design, religion, social activity/peer pressure/face, and a huge population who like to move around, especially visiting home at holiday periods.

I can't think of any other developed country where such a large % of the blue-collar workforce like to return home (on average, say 400km) at peak times... Songkran, Loy Krathong, New Year etc. And it's mainly young people, many of whom will drink, or drive tired.

I have seen major road improvements, dual carriageways and road re-alignments, lighting etc in recent years. Armco barriers and impact-absorbing devices being installed across the country. Too late to [perhaps] save some deaths and injuries ...

^ 2 dead, 3 injured in Chumpon. Way too many open/unprotected klongs around the country still ...

Bus driver fell asleep ... ??? 29 injured!
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    "i dont understand how any country can accept this sort of road toll for a short holiday ..."

They dont.
    Thats why they made it a longer holiday this year...
    kaptainrob and Ian Forbes like this.

Cadet Gold
    Yea i know your right mate ,i just think of the families who will be suffering when it is supposed to be a time of happiness . I think it should be made to be un cool to drink and drive like a bad social stigma placed upon it , the facination with mobile phones is also a big problem all throughout the world i have freinds who posted a picture today on their way somewhere not one person had a safety belt on even though they are equipped in the car,on my first trip i was horrified when the wife picked her sone up from school he sat on the centre consul so he could see out the window if we had an accident he would have been a missile through the windscreen, but i held my tongue so as not to offend them i had mine on though .I watched an old clip called bangkok body snatchers on you tube about the ambos they pulled these two people out of a wreck and i thought all the dreams all the hopes of the parents all gone in an instant just sad thats all . The latest bus crash and a few before they say the brakes fail the worst one ive seen was a driver who hit an elephant he had no chance to avoid it i said to the wife when songkran on we stay inside 55555

Yea i know your right mate ,i just think of the families who will be suffering when it is supposed to be a time of happiness . I think it should be made to be un cool to drink and drive like a bad social stigma placed upon it , the facination with mobile phones is also a big problem all throughout the world i have freinds who posted a picture today on their way somewhere not one person had a safety belt on even though they are equipped in the car,on my first trip i was horrified when the wife picked her sone up from school he sat on the centre consul so he could see out the window if we had an accident he would have been a missile through the windscreen, but i held my tongue so as not to offend them i had mine on though .I watched an old clip called bangkok body snatchers on you tube about the ambos they pulled these two people out of a wreck and i thought all the dreams all the hopes of the parents all gone in an instant just sad thats all . The latest bus crash and a few before they say the brakes fail the worst one ive seen was a driver who hit an elephant he had no chance to avoid it i said to the wife when songkran on we stay inside 55555
    Yes, phone use, reading FB or texting while driving is ever so common. Driving a Hi-lander we can often see it though ALL-AROUND dark or mirror tinted windscreens are one of my pet hates.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Why wouldn't you say something?
    I have no qualms, from the very start of meeting them, to instruct the family to do common sense safety precautions

I think a big thing is the police need to patrol the highways more...............you almost never see anyone pulled over
    Just at the roadblocks

If police were patrolling the highways, people would drive more safely
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think a big thing is the police need to patrol the highways more...............you almost never see anyone pulled over
    Just at the roadblocks

I've said the same thing... over, and over and over.

It still comes down to the mindset of the driver or the rider. My Thai girl friend has a lovely, 17 year old daughter that I like very much. But, the daughter lives with her grandmother in Saraphi (10 km from Chiang Mai). The girl rides her girl friend's scooter into Chiang Mai on a regular basis, and neither girl has a driver's license. The scooter does not have insurance, and neither girl wears a helmet. I give them a bad time about it, but that is all I can do. They trust fate to keep them safe and I have to accept it. It bothers me, but I can't force anyone to do anything. Virtually every Thai girl/woman I've ever known can show you scars from motorbike accidents, and yet they continue to take chances. Those driving vehicles are the same... only they are also a threat to others on the highways and roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    It still comes down to the mindset of the driver or the rider. My Thai girl friend has a lovely, 17 year old daughter that I like very much. But, the daughter lives with her grandmother in Saraphi (10 km from Chiang Mai). The girl rides her girl friend's scooter into Chiang Mai on a regular basis, and neither girl has a driver's license. The scooter does not have insurance, and neither girl wears a helmet. I give them a bad time about it, but that is all I can do. They trust fate to keep them safe and I have to accept it. It bothers me, but I can't force anyone to do anything. Virtually every Thai girl/woman I've ever known can show you scars from motorbike accidents, and yet they continue to take chances. Those driving vehicles are the same... only they are also a threat to others on the highways and roads.
    I think it is a bit different when married..........you can push it on your wife and she pushes into on to the kids

Again, I've never been shy about given my opinion on what should be done though
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Why wouldn't you say something?
    I have no qualms, from the very start of meeting them, to instruct the family to do common sense safety precautions
    I said something when the GF kids were in the car and wouldn't put on safety belts and crawl all over the car, but wasn't heard.. "they like.."
    So I did the trick my driver instructor pulled when I was 18..
    And accelerated to about 20k/h and then braked abruptly... Kids were crying but no really damaged, everyone was angry with me, but next time they (3 and 4) wanted to wear the seat-belts.. 555
    Distantpeak, Ian Forbes and Hatari like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    I said something when the GF kids were in the car and wouldn't put on safety belts and crawl all over the car, but wasn't heard.. "they like.."
    So I did the trick my driver instructor pulled when I was 18..
    And accelerated to about 20k/h and then braked abruptly... Kids were crying but no really damaged, everyone was angry with me, but next time they (3 and 4) wanted to wear the seat-belts.. 555
    A quick, blunt message that did no damage except to their egos. 555

Just at the roadblocks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I've said the same thing... over, and over and over.
    Likewise...... While some harp on about the token gestures, expensive tech and less (obvious) corruption as an indication of change in policing practices, in reality nothing much has changed beyond an increasing road fatality toll. That has continued apace under the junta.

Engineering seems to involve upgrading roads (some juicy big kickbacks there for those high enough in the system to benefit!) so that vehicles can travel faster (thus greater risk of serious injury or death in the event of an accident), and creating more deathtrap U-turns in the process.

Education continues to be all but non-existent, beyond watching a video for a prescribed period of time before sitting the written driving licence test and at renewal.... Driving schools teach people how to pass the driving test, all done at low speed without other traffic on a testing facility.

Enforcement continues to rely on folks stupid enough to be sans helmet / licence / registration or drunk, being obliging enough to stop at checkpoints manned intermittently by gangs of swaggering cops...... who would be better deployed out policing moving violations.

What has changed?
    Last edited by Mick; 17th April 2018 at 12:34.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Engineering seems to involve upgrading roads (some juicy big kickbacks there for those high enough in the system to benefit!) so that vehicles can travel faster (thus greater risk of serious injury or death in the event of an accident), and creating more deathtrap U-turns in the process.
    When you regularly travel the same routes along given stretches of highway, you do notice the difference in construction quality. Some sections only last a year or so before breaking up and turning into a series of ruts and pot holes. Other sections on the same highway seem to stand up quite well. That tells me the quality of who has done the job is much different. It's a little spooky on a motorbike when you ride those sections that have lengthways grooves and broken pavement. It's not so bad in a car or truck, but dangerous on a bike when you are being jerked from side to side.

Until you get used to them, those death trap U-TURNS continue to boggle my mind. FIRST, you have to be in the fast lane and then suddenly decelerate rapidly into the U-turn. That often occurs when some jackass wants to ride right on your rear tail-light. And, then you have to turn into the fast, oncoming lane slowly. There is no way to accelerate quickly into traffic. Third, on a busy highway there are multiple lanes to cross at slow speed. Many major intersections do NOT have lights, crossings or overpasses. You have to go beyond your turn for about a kilometer and do the U-turn "thing". Very often, large commercial vehicles can not make the turn. So, they just drive through the U-turn and travel the wrong way down the divided highway until they reach their destination. Totally, fucking weird!

When riding my motorbike from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi I had to make a few of those weird turns even when there was a major intersection. One such turn comes to mind off AH1-AH2 onto highway 329 towards Suphan Buri. I would have expected a traffic light to go from one main highway onto another... but no, it is one of those crazy u-turns. I would have missed it had I not made a hand drawn map using Google earth and added my own GPS co-ordinates.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 17th April 2018 at 12:38.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    .Until you get used to them, those death trap U-TURNS continue to boggle my mind.

Seen a lot of shocking accidents at U turn bays around CM. Anyone that doesn't treat them with complete caution has a death wish... especially at night.
    Vehicles on the other side of the road become obscured and often turn in front of traffic moving at high speed.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    .Until you get used to them, those death trap U-TURNS continue to boggle my mind.

Seen a lot of shocking accidents at U turn bays around CM. Anyone that doesn't treat them with complete caution has a death wish... especially at night.
    Vehicles on the other side of the road become obscured and often turn in front of traffic moving at high speed.
    It doesn't matter how many times I have done those U-turns.....it still freaks me out
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post

Just add in a bunch of Crazy Chinese tourists on rental scooters... 555555

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast