The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Thai Road toll

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Would love to see the unreadable stamp 555
    I will back up Forbes here

Often times the Thai time stamps do get blurry after a bit in your passport

Many of mine are the same

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I will back up Forbes here

Often times the Thai time stamps do get blurry after a bit in your passport

Many of mine are the same
    I could still read it, Paul, but I had to put on my glasses. It was my fault as I originally said, but I was led astray by what I was told by Thai immigration in Vancouver. It was right after they changed all the regulations and did away with the single, double and triple entries, and changed it to either a 90 day or a 6 month. With the 90 day visa you don't have to leave the country. But, with a 6 month tourist visa you have to leave every 60 days. I was led to believe I had to leave every 90 days... and didn't check to make sure. And, instead of paying $120, you now have to pay $200 for the 6 month visa. Everything else remains the same.

Also, I make DAMN SURE I don't wash my passport anymore, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I could still read it, Paul, but I had to put on my glasses. It was my fault as I originally said, but I was led astray by what I was told by Thai immigration in Vancouver. It was right after they changed all the regulations and did away with the single, double and triple entries, and changed it to either a 90 day or a 6 month. With the 90 day visa you don't have to leave the country. But, with a 6 month tourist visa you have to leave every 60 days. I was led to believe I had to leave every 90 days... and didn't check to make sure. And, instead of paying $120, you now have to pay $200 for the 6 month visa. Everything else remains the same.

Also, I make DAMN SURE I don't wash my passport anymore, either.
    You aren't the 1st or the last person to screw up the dates

Not a big deal.....shit happens

PS....that's dumb as shit. You can stay 90 days on a 3mo but 60days on a 6mo
    Ian Forbes likes this.

You aren't the 1st or the last person to screw up the dates

Not a big deal.....shit happens

PS....that's dumb as shit. You can stay 90 days on a 3mo but 60days on a 6mo
    My point exactly, but that is how bureaucracy works everywhere... not just Thailand. I already told the story of trying to get a new Canadian passport after I accidently washed the one I had been using. It took 6 month and I needed a new birth certificate with a number on it. The old one I had been using for 50 years they would no longer accept. You would have thought I had committed some serious crime or robbed a bank.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Sleeping driver caused this one...no casualties..

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    ^The driver lived? Slept through it?
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

^ apparently...not dead but not too good...driver and passenger.

My first trip to LOS Phuket was my first trip ever abroad from Australia. As one could imagine the excitement when the plane landed in Phuket was 10 fold..... A memory that always sticks is when we took the airport transfer mini bus to Patong. The exwife and i was sitting on the bench seat (i always select this seat and center for all tours for clear veiw straight out of the windscreen) right behind the driver. Almost arriving at Patong, the winding road descends from the mountain and vehicles must be put in low gear and take it easy. Anyway, the motorcycles were hurriedly passing our transfer bus when we witnessed a women and young child over take us running hot into a hard left hand bend. I am not sure what happened (maybe a contaminant on the road) but she lost the bike from under herself throwing the bike and child onto the opposite side of the road. Luckily for them, there was no collisions with on coming traffic.

It sure woke me up after a long flight..... Not nice to see but.

That said, the motorcycles are dangerous and if a person observes enough, you will often see tourist holding fresh battle scars from motorcycle incidents. Something not welcomed on your holiday i am sure.....

BTW, the current and former TGF both carry scars and abbrasions from past motorcycle related incidents ......

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Just discovered that the toll for parking my motorcycle on the wrong side of Thalang Road is a rather steep 500 baht.

Was parked along with many others (the policeman only had 3 or 4 sets of chains so couldn't get them all) who no doubt were not aware that there is now a legitimate side and an illegitimate side that changes from day to day. Must be a recent change, that is now being strictly policed....... intermittently!

A small step on the way to to reducing the road toll.....? Or petty enforcement pointless regulation by picking easy targets?
    I don't know who is responsible, but more likely shopkeepers than the police or powers that be - Now there are moveable cones and signs placed on the side of the road where parking is not allowed (alternates daily). I have not seen any police parking enforcement on Talang Road recently.
    Last edited by Mick; 10th August 2018 at 10:46.

Cadet Gold
    My wife and i were heading back to our resort in kamala and were heading up i think it is patong hill in the back of what could only be described as an army truck double lines blind corner a cement truck overtakes us , just trying to get across the main drag was scary enough to get to a small local eatery on the other side .

What road??

Distantpeak likes this.

What road??

Taxi driver, Moo ? 555

Quote Originally Posted by Cobba View Post
    My first trip to LOS Phuket was my first trip ever abroad from Australia. As one could imagine the excitement when the plane landed in Phuket was 10 fold..... A memory that always sticks is when we took the airport transfer mini bus to Patong. The exwife and i was sitting on the bench seat (i always select this seat and center for all tours for clear veiw straight out of the windscreen) right behind the driver. Almost arriving at Patong, the winding road descends from the mountain and vehicles must be put in low gear and take it easy. Anyway, the motorcycles were hurriedly passing our transfer bus when we witnessed a women and young child over take us running hot into a hard left hand bend. I am not sure what happened (maybe a contaminant on the road) but she lost the bike from under herself throwing the bike and child onto the opposite side of the road. Luckily for them, there was no collisions with on coming traffic.

It sure woke me up after a long flight..... Not nice to see but.

That said, the motorcycles are dangerous and if a person observes enough, you will often see tourist holding fresh battle scars from motorcycle incidents. Something not welcomed on your holiday i am sure.....

BTW, the current and former TGF both carry scars and abbrasions from past motorcycle related incidents ......
    You don't have to observe too close to see tourists banged up from MB accidents

A dime a dozen and I've been one of them a few times

You don't have to observe too close to see tourists banged up from MB accidents

A dime a dozen and I've been one of them a few times
    As have I. However, I sometimes wonder what possesses some tourist to rent a scooter when they've never been on a motorbike in their life. Even though I had ridden motorbikes for years in Canada, it took me a while to adjust to the craziness of Asian traffic.
    Distantpeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    , I sometimes wonder what possesses some tourist to rent a scooter when they've never been on a motorbike in their life.
    Monkey see,monkey do.!
    Distantpeak likes this.

Monkey see,monkey do.!
    While waiting to rent a bike for my son at the shop on the moat in Chiang Mai, a "Macho-man" in a tank-top thought he was above renting a scooter. He took off for the first time on a big Honda (800 cc?) and made it about 50 meters before losing control, hitting a car and ending up in the moat. I think he was doing a "wheelie" for the first 10 meters. That is what made us look.
    Cobba likes this.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536