The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: Thai Road toll

Follow up report - driver of bbq'd wreck was apparently well in excess of 90 kmph speed limit and ploughed into a B-double doing U-turn opposite GlobalHouse. This U-turn, whilst undeniably still dangerous, is only one of many which have been closed. This one has excellent visibility both ways ... provided motorists are obeying speed limits and driving with due care.

After the car (above) ploughed into/under the semi, it caught fire and the driver was fried/died at the scene. 6 or 7 other vehicles couldn't stop i time or completely avoid the carnage with yet another truck running up their asses.

We are frequently passed by idiots on this stretch, overtaken or undertaken and always at ~30 kmph more than the 80/90 I drive at. Tailgating is a Thai trait I treat by tapping my brake (lights) yet often with no response despite the tailgaters bumper well below my RV mirror view.

Whilst this accident could have been avoided it was the guilty party who suffered.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Thanks for the follow up. I always shake my head at those 180 degree turns so popular in Thailand. You would never see them in North America.

You are always turning into the high speed lane and you can't merge in at speed. Not too difficult on a motorbike with a tighter turning radius and quick acceleration, but not so easy in a big truck that will take up 2 or more lanes to make its turn.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Ive always wondered about Thai Ambulances , Are they Legit ? Are the Ambo drivers Professionally Trained like Western Country's or close to . Is there an emergency Phone number like Aust 000 . How do they charge and do they want proof that a farrang has health Ins before taking you too Hospital ?
    From what ive seen of Thai's they seem to be a bit 'She'l be right mate', "Ive got a Uniform so of course im a Professional Ambulance Driver, and would you be interested in a watch?" 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Ive always wondered about Thai Ambulances , Are they Legit ? Are the Ambo drivers Professionally Trained like Western Country's or close to . Is there an emergency Phone number like Aust 000 . How do they charge and do they want proof that a farrang has health Ins before taking you too Hospital ?
    From what ive seen of Thai's they seem to be a bit 'She'l be right mate', "Ive got a Uniform so of course im a Professional Ambulance Driver, and would you be interested in a watch?" 55
    They are well trained and totally professional TT...

Distantpeak and Tingtong like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

555555 That's what I thought .
    Moo Uaon likes this.

From what I understand, the various hospitals and ambulances are in competition with each other and will race each other to be first on the scene.

However, my experiences with first aid and hospitals in Thailand has been first class. And, without boring you with all the details I almost make a yearly visit for some injury or another. I was lucky enough to be patched up right at the scene of an accident in Kanchanaburi when a pickup truck knocked me off my motorbike while I was waiting at a red light. The First Aid attendants happened to be having a coffee at a shop nearby and took care of me. They even refused payment.
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    They are well trained and totally professional TT...

That about sums it up..

A guy I know dislocated his shoulder in the surf and i drove him to the Hospital I prefer , Phuket International.

When I pulled into Emergency the Security Guard tried to stop me by blowing his whistle vigorously and waiving his arms , which I ignored.
    Then the reception orderlies hurried to the passenger door , opened it , and tried to drag him out by pulling on his injured arm ! 555

And this is one of the better hospitals !

However once IN the hospital the service is very good !
    And cheap !

Theres 2 types of ambulances...
    The beaten up older station wagon types that tend to cruise the open roads.
    And the Hospital /collective Drs based vans that look like any in the West and appear to have quality treatment on board.
    Tingtong likes this.

^ Geez ,
    Doesnt sound like a good place to have a Heart Attack.

^ Geez ,
    Doesnt sound like a good place to have a Heart Attack.
    Thats a consideration when, as you age , you want to live in a more isolated place - "How far is it to a good hospital ?"
    ( Tho the same could be asked in any country ..)

I have thought about moving to Kao Lak when this place is too over run , but that is a consideration.
    So is access to a good private school for Alice .

PS: I was in Bkk when I had my 'mini stroke' and was put into a taxi and arrived at Bumrumgrad Hospital ( one of Thailands best ) inside 15 mins. If I had been in a taxi in Kao Lak , I would probably have been disabled now ... or dead .)
    Last edited by Chob; 28th November 2018 at 10:30.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Thats a consideration when, as you age , you want to live in a more isolated place - "How far is it to a good hospital ?"

I have thought about moving to Kao Lak when this place is too over run , but that is a consideration.

PS: I was in Bkk when I had my 'mini stroke' and was put into a taxi and arrived at Bumrumgrad Hospital ( one of Thailands best ) inside 15 mins. If I had been in a taxi in Kao Lak , I would probably have been disabled now ... or dead .)
    Although I am a bit of a fatalist, what you wrote is just one of the reasons why I enjoy Chiang Mai. It is close to everything I might need or want. The nurses in the closest hospital Know me by my first name.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post

Yes good points that ive considered for a while. As Ive had a few serious health problems in the last 10 yrs Heart / Cancer ive given up thinking about living in Thailand / Vanuatu / Fiji , places I thought I might live in .
    Where I am now is probably where I will stay as It has everthing I need , The Coast / Surf / Good standard of living ,and Top Notch Medical Minutes away. Things I wouldnt have really thought about years ago .
    Did you ever Write about your Stroke ? I knew you had one but didnt read the details about it but was very interested in what happened . Lucky you had the Stroke in a Busy place like BKK or things might have been a Lot worse for sure .
    Kao Lak would be a great place to live but would Phuket be the closest place with a decent Hospital? Long way to go if your in a bad way .
    Distantpeak likes this.

^ Im sure I wrote about it , and more than likely that info is on the , "Chobs Reminisces and Daily Ramblings " thread about 4 years back ...

With a stroke , quick treatment is of the utmost importance , and I got that , and thats why I had a full recovery... plus a great hospital that had all the gear to determine quickly whether I had a brain bleed or blockage. ( Important to know !)
    I had a blockage ( the most common - thats why Im on minimal continuous treatment of only 81 mgs of aspirin a day )

When you have a stroke you dont remember a lot , so IMO a great way to die , but I do recall the head of that area , and my Dr. , coming by a coupla days after , and asking , "Did you see our very expensive billboard at Suvanipom airport about dealing with stroke immediately ?" and looking pleased ( he knew I had just flown in ).
    I said , "Sorry , I flew domestic into Don Muang , so no."
    He looked a tad deflated , then said , "The sign is mainly in Thai anyway - we have a problem in Thailand , and that is when men , its mainly men , feel the symptoms , they just go to bed , and then catastrophically delay their treatment so they wake up barely capable to move ever again.. We have 'stroke-buster from America now 5 years and it work very well if administered inside 2 hours ."

Most hospital here have the drug ( or 2 drugs/treatments ) apparently ... but they have to determine the blockage/bleed question , and that takes time.

Luckily I was with a nurse who recognised the symptoms... which were tingling in all extremities , sudden loss of gross motor function , and increasingly slurred speech.

Thanks chob, by the sounds of it you were very lucky that day. I notice when I'm out and about how many men are are limping and have a paralysed arm on left hand side. Classic stroke aftermath.... Poor buggers . Treatments for stroke are getting better all the time. As part of my heart meds I take 100 mg of asprin a day. Hope that keeps the stroke at bay 555 that rhymes 55.

Cadet silver
    I was at a brewery in Ayutthaya yesterday and was looking at their range of beers and spotted one I had not seen before: Trucker Lager - at 12% alcohol that's just the stuff the truckies need to get in to them to keep those big wheels turning.

sidvicious and Tingtong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buksida View Post
    I was at a brewery in Ayutthaya yesterday and was looking at their range of beers and spotted one I had not seen before: Trucker Lager - at 12% alcohol that's just the stuff the truckies need to get in to them to keep those big wheels turning.
    Yikes!! I thought that is what "Redbull" is for. I usually carry a couple cans of Redbull in my truck if I know I'm going to do some long haul driving. I HATE feeling drowsy when I have a long way to go and a short time to get there. I never feel drowsy on a motorbike. i think it's the constant rush of air and having all your senses on high alert when you ride.

Thai drivers can be very annoying, lazy and selfish - double parking on an arterial road outside a 7-11, dangerous and blocks one lane. Annoying in supermarket car parks, double/T-parallel parking or simply stopping/waiting.

This parking attempt at CNX airport takes some beating >

Ian Forbes likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Maybe he/she thought it was a down ramp and couldn't stop until too late. Of course, it could also have been some Chinese tourists. They drive me crazy on the narrow sois.

I'm turning into a grumpy old fuck... if I wasn't one before.

I get pissed off at all the vans and personal vehicles parked willy-nilly in all the narrow sois... and even the main roads with lots of traffic. No concern is taken for those who have to commute on a regular basis, or bring merchandise to shops. Then there are all the shops that just expand onto the road and block entire lanes.

And, I don't really have any time schedule to stick to.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940