Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Patong - 'New' Road: activity at last!!

Patong - 'New' Road: activity at last!!

Nice to see that the 500m stretch of dirt, pot-holes, ruts and craters - sorry, New Road (Phangmuang Rd) is finally starting to see some activity to continue re-surfacing. Not before time IMO. The road is real pain in the ass at the moment and has been for months. Disgrace really.

How a main connecting road like this can be left in the state it was for so long is amazing I think, even for LOS. EVERY day is re-think on which path to take and getting into and out of properties on the road is an equally challenging test. Still, at least they're getting on with it now, instead of just shovelling the mud from one pile to another.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Had some bumpy and dusty motorbike taxi rides home along there in June.

Indeed. It's been in state for a year or more, before it was up by the police station crossroads (Sainamyen) which is now a free-for-all with no traffic lights. I've driven down better maintained dirt-tracks in Africa 5555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    it has been constantly under construction/repair for the last 5 years....and i expect nothing will change in the next 5 years..its built on swamp land and is not built for the amount of heavy traffic it gets

Yup, but the state it's in now, especially between Sainamyen and Sansabai is the worst I've experienced and that's been about 18 months 2 years. At least before that section was drivable. Trail bikes the better option the way it is at the moment.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Too much money siphoned off from the roads budget?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Step One - Allocate budget to contractor.
    Step Two - Contractor takes his cut off the top.
    Step Three - Insufficient budget remaining to do the work.
    Step Four - Start bidding process for new contractor.
    Step Five - Original contractor renames his company.
    Step Six - Original contractor under new name wins contract.
    Step Seven - Budget allocated to new (old) contractor............

Probably not too far from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    Step One - Allocate budget to contractor.
    Step Two - Contractor takes his cut off the top.
    Step Three - Insufficient budget remaining to do the work.
    Step Four - Start bidding process for new contractor.
    Step Five - Original contractor renames his company.
    Step Six - Original contractor under new name wins contract.
    Step Seven - Budget allocated to new (old) contractor............

Probably not too far from the truth.
    As there probably was Federal, Provincial and Local authorities involved that's three slices out of the pie before the contract awarded ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    If i remember correctly Carrefour were responsible for sealing that road when they first opened up at the start of 07 and it was only a thin layer of tar applied over the existing dirt track that was there then.

Don`t think it ever got any better than that after the yearly band aid jobs.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I love it when they get a really big pothole and just lay a steel plate over it....Not.....

^ when it first flooded there the S bend bridge over the klong had no barriers or even markers as to where the S bend went so subsequently it took a few cars to plunge into the flooded klong for them to realise it needed some barriers to stop people driving straight into the deeper klong....suck it and see type strategy 55

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I love it when they get a really big pothole and just lay a steel plate over it....Not.....
    Yah, and when they do re-surface part of it then find they need a ramp for people to get down to the level of the rest of the dirt-track - solution - pile dirt up to make said ramp. Great until 3 vehicles have gone over it, or it rains. Wow, where did our ramp go! :O

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    The nearly finished part is good, I just wish they would finish it. For those that haven't been here for a while, most of the length of road has been raised a few feet (600mm for the kiddies). It then has about a 9" concrete top. At the end of OTOP Road, its about a 5 foot drop from the new bridge to existing road. The area around the hospital has been completed....there was a VVVip visitor a few weeks back at the hospital.

Agree, the finished part is great and if they keep up the pace the section between the hospital and Sansabai MIGHT be finished in a week or two. The largely unfinished section between those to points is terrible though and gets more treacherous as the days / weeks go on as the unmade surface deteriorates further with the combo of heavy traffic, construction vehicle damage and rain. Apart from certain war-zones it's the worst (supposedly) urban (main) road I've ever experienced. Most countries I've lived in, even less developed than LOS, would have a stretch of road like that finished in a week, or less. Now they've finished the cross-roads and near the hospital one would hope traffic light control would be up and running soon, again, this seems to be proving more problematic than one might expect
    Last edited by Nightcrawler; 20th September 2013 at 16:48.

When that part from the hospital to SSB went in it joined to a Thai shack town with a twisty,potholed dirt/mud track that joined up to the road that goes past the garbage truck depot and up to Otop.
    It took some time for the Karon road end to go in and then the short cut through to Nanai 2.

Good to see it`s finally getting a solid concrete base under it but it`s still a natural watercourse there that seems to be lower than the sea level?

It is still "Broken Middle Road" until it's finished.
    But, I agree with Bri that where it is finished it is 4 lanes and impressive.
    As were the fkn huge drains that eventually went in.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ my Thai friend used to call it soi kaput......

~3 years ago I watched as workers filled a 2m deep drainage trench, just north of SSB toward Hospital, with soggy mud fill .... next day it had a tarmac topping. 555 Was only a matter of weeks before holes appeared.

A serviceable MiddleUnbrokenRoad will eventually help alleviate some of Patongs traffic woes ... long time coming tho
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
    Nice to see that the 500m stretch of dirt, pot-holes, ruts and craters - sorry, New Road (Phangmuang Rd) is finally starting to see some activity to continue re-surfacing. Not before time IMO. The road is real pain in the ass at the moment and has been for months. Disgrace really.

How a main connecting road like this can be left in the state it was for so long is amazing I think, even for LOS. EVERY day is re-think on which path to take and getting into and out of properties on the road is an equally challenging test. Still, at least they're getting on with it now, instead of just shovelling the mud from one pile to another.
    I liked it best before they did anything; before Jungcelyon opened. Then it was just a pot-holed dirt track with a bit of metal in parts. Of course there was not much traffic, but that's the point. I could get though Patong in no time at all, whatever the weather, on my motorcycle without the hassle of Rat_U_Tit 200 Bee Road. Sure it was a hassle for cars and motorcyclists without a sense of adventure, but that was a someone else's problem.

Anyway, whinging about pot-holed, rutted and dirty roads here achieves nothing. The correct forum for that is the local rag in some small town back in Blighty; it just might be more effective..... or something.
    Last edited by Mick; 21st September 2013 at 11:10.