Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Trip Suggestions

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Trip Suggestions

Looking to see if anyone has some hidden gem suggestions in the area we will be going in March
    We initially wanted to see Isaan for the 1st time but in late March it is not ideal with the burnings and haze

So I decided to rent a car in Bangkok and drive to Surat Thani in 7-8 days
    A loose schedule is :
    Kachanaburi 2 days
    Hua Hin/Cha Am 3 days
    Pranburi area 1 night for Khao Som Roi Yet National Park
    2 days in Khao Sok National Park

so basically a straight shot down from Kachanaburi to Surat Thani with stops

does anyone have any cool things to do/see in those areas, i am more interested in nature type attractions but also things that Thais might enjoy, especially a 3yr and 13yr old

Thanks

I am also not adverse to a 2hr drive from any of those places to see something real cool/special

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Taking almost that same route in 18 days, but won't be visiting any of the national parks this time around. Is Surat Thani your final destination or are you continuing on to Koh Samui?

The big temple in Prachuap Khiri Khan, reached by some 500+ steps, and overrun with monkeys, is supposedly worth the climb, tho in late March, that would be a very hot hike. I plan to do it in the first week of November, so won't be so scorching hot.

Kanchanaburi has the Erawan Falls ... really beautiful hike and can swim in the pools of all seven of the small waterfalls. Have some photos on my last trip report. Only an hour or so drive out of Kanchanaburi, so worth it. Kids would love the swim, it is really popular with the local Thai, especially during the hot season.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Taking almost that same route in 18 days, but won't be visiting any of the national parks this time around. Is Surat Thani your final destination or are you continuing on to Koh Samui?

The big temple in Prachuap Khiri Khan, reached by some 500+ steps, and overrun with monkeys, is supposedly worth the climb, tho in late March, that would be a very hot hike. I plan to do it in the first week of November, so won't be so scorching hot.

Kanchanaburi has the Erawan Falls ... really beautiful hike and can swim in the pools of all seven of the small waterfalls. Have some photos on my last trip report. Only an hour or so drive out of Kanchanaburi, so worth it. Kids would love the swim, it is really popular with the local Thai, especially during the hot season.
    we are heading to Samui after, so that is why i decided to drive down and drop the car off.i want to be able to see more of the country by driving

and yes, we plan on hitting the Erawan Falls and Ao is determined to do all 7 waterfalls, we shall see and i definitely took a lot of your info from your TR on Kachanaburi

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Get off Hwy 4 as much as possible.
    Prechuap Kiri Khan is very pretty and immediately south is Ao Manao where the Japanese landed - it's a perfect landing site.
    You have to check into the airbase then you are free to roam.
    It's worth an hour or two.

Further south, between Bang Saphan and Bang Saphan Noi and about 14 km detour to the coast is Baan Krut - a lovely stop-over half-way between Phuket and Bangkok.

Chaiya, north of Surat Thani has one of the oldest functioning temples in Thailand - Chob knows more about this.

These three spots are markedly different.
    Last edited by Zablive; 10th October 2013 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Prechuap Kiri Khan is very pretty and immediately south is Ao Manao where the Japanese landed - it's a perfect landing site.

Further south, between Bang Saphan and Bang Saphan Noi and about 14 km detour to the coast is Baan Krut - a lovely stop-over half-way between Phuket and Bangkok.

Chaiya, north of Surat Thani has one of the oldest functioning temples in Thailand - Chob knows more about this.

i already had Ao Manao in mind
    Baan Krut looks like near Koh Talu? i was looking at there also

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    i already had Ao Manao in mind
    Baan Krut looks like near Koh Talu? i was looking at there also
    Baan Krut is where my friend Rob lived for the past four years. I always meant to get down that way while he was still living there, but he has now bought a 20th floor condo in a Jomtien highrise. Looks like an incredibly beautiful beach area, but not well known to falang tourists apparently. Tung knew it very well, as thousands of Thai descend on the beaches there during Songkran, and her family travelled up that way many times.

Rob recommended this resort Baan Grood Arcadia Resort and Spa a Luxury Hotel in Thailand as being the best in the area. I'll be staying there for 3 days on the upcoming trip. Rob's advice was that the cheaper rooms were not that great, but the Deluxe Sea View Villa's are worth the extra cost. They were all gone by the time I booked, but I did get a Garden View villa.

Oh, should mention ... ignore the prices on the website! 555 I just looked at them again now, and I did not pay anywhere close to the prices they list. Booked through Agoda and paid about half that.
    Last edited by vanguy77; 10th October 2013 at 15:55.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Thanks for that Zablive, I was debating whether to head out to Ao Manao or not, but you just decided me. Was not aware that it was the site of the Japanese landing, so now have to go check it out.

I'll be taking the train, mostly, which goes through Prachuap, Baan Krut and Surat Thani. Love train travel, even tho I have had terrible luck so far with Thailand trains arriving on time.

Not sure how long you will be in Surat Thani for Paul, but I know I'll be arriving sometime in the late afternoon and departing the next morning for Koh Samui, so will maybe have time to check out the night market, but that's about it.
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

^^^
    Ao Manao is a good bookend to Kanchanaburi wrt WW2 and the Japanese in Thailand.
    Guaranteed to be "new history" for the Thais.

^^^
    Ao Manao is a good bookend to Kanchanaburi wrt WW2 and the Japanese in Thailand.
    Guaranteed to be "new history" for the Thais.
    if they likely ask to be dropped off at the food stall before i head in alone...... it will be the exact history of my time with them repeating itself over and over 555

^^^^

"Why you worry - happen before?" syndrome.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Baan Krut is where my friend Rob lived for the past four years. I always meant to get down that way while he was still living there, but he has now bought a 20th floor condo in a Jomtien highrise. Looks like an incredibly beautiful beach area, but not well known to falang tourists apparently. Tung knew it very well, as thousands of Thai descend on the beaches there during Songkran, and her family travelled up that way many times.

Rob recommended this resort Baan Grood Arcadia Resort and Spa a Luxury Hotel in Thailand as being the best in the area. I'll be staying there for 3 days on the upcoming trip. Rob's advice was that the cheaper rooms were not that great, but the Deluxe Sea View Villa's are worth the extra cost. They were all gone by the time I booked, but I did get a Garden View villa.

Oh, should mention ... ignore the prices on the website! 555 I just looked at them again now, and I did not pay anywhere close to the prices they list. Booked through Agoda and paid about half that.
    Ban Grood is where the LOS end of my brothers business took him,seems to be right up there with the hiso BKKers.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Travelled with my kids in Thailand a couple of times.. Damnoen Saduak floating market was really good for them..
    Pa la U waterfalls (50 km) from Huahin is nice, similar to Erawan, but less organised..

Thai really like Wat Huay Monkol ( 20 km from Huahin), it is famous and has a nice park, lake kind thing around it (feed the fish)..

The Royal palace in huahin is also worth considering..

For beaches in Huahin, I would suggest not going to the main beach.. Khao ta kiap or Khao Tao a bit further south are much nicer..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Travelled with my kids in Thailand a couple of times.. Damnoen Saduak floating market was really good for them..
    Pa la U waterfalls (50 km) from Huahin is nice, similar to Erawan, but less organised..

Thai really like Wat Huay Monkol ( 20 km from Huahin), it is famous and has a nice park, lake kind thing around it (feed the fish)..

The Royal palace in huahin is also worth considering..

For beaches in Huahin, I would suggest not going to the main beach.. Khao ta kiap or Khao Tao a bit further south are much nicer..
    we know Hua Hin/Cha Am well, Ao was born there and has family in Cha Am

Pa la U was on our agenda and my wife wants to do the floating market
    i have very little patience for too touristy things like the floating market but it is like the Rep/Dem should do in the US.......i have to compromise 555

we also just added a 14yr old girl to the trip, our niece Noon who is a great kid
    so now need to entertain a 14yr old girl, 13yr old boy and 3yr old boy
    the thing is, i will be fine but my wife and MIL get stressed easy and can see them getting stressed out with the kids

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Looking to see if anyone has some hidden gem suggestions in the area we will be going in March
    We initially wanted to see Isaan for the 1st time but in late March it is not ideal with the burnings and haze

So I decided to rent a car in Bangkok and drive to Surat Thani in 7-8 days
    A loose schedule is :
    Kachanaburi 2 days
    Hua Hin/Cha Am 3 days
    Pranburi area 1 night for Khao Som Roi Yet National Park
    2 days in Khao Sok National Park

so basically a straight shot down from Kachanaburi to Surat Thani with stops

does anyone have any cool things to do/see in those areas, i am more interested in nature type attractions but also things that Thais might enjoy, especially a 3yr and 13yr old

Thanks

I am also not adverse to a 2hr drive from any of those places to see something real cool/special
    If you are going to Khao Sok National Park then I think you have to pass Ranong, then Phayam could be a alternative.