Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: October rain and floods

  1. #1
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,672

    October rain and floods

    More on its way >



    Central, eastern and southern provinces have had more rain than they can cope with and dams are already at capacity.

    I hope this storm doesn't damage more rice crops as Isaan farmers are hurting from poor yields despite high [subsidised] prices.

    Meanwhile its dry and dusty in the north. CNX had moderate smoke/dust haze yesterday, visibility to ~ 8km's.

    We need a bit more rain.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,935
    Meteorological sources have described the haze over the top half of LOS for the past week or so as fog!

    From what i saw from the air the brownest/worst of it was around CM and UT which was probably caused by an "inversion" type phenomena trapping the extra exhaust fumes produced in those big cities. The layer of "fog" ended exactly at the cloud level with crystal clear air above it.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  3. #3
    Yes
    Yes is offline
    Cadet Gold Yes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    203
    I was wondering what the haze was,
    yesterdayI visited the Wat on the hill above Royal park,It was totally clear up there,
    but haze below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Meteorological sources have described the haze over the top half of LOS for the past week or so as fog!

    From what i saw from the air the brownest/worst of it was around CM and UT which was probably caused by an "inversion" type phenomena trapping the extra exhaust fumes produced in those big cities. The layer of "fog" ended exactly at the cloud level with crystal clear air above it.
    Thai Met sources? 555

    Fog or cloud (water vapour) & smoke = smog. I agree with inversion layer also very still air above north due to High pressure system. Far eastern Isaan should have rain now but the Low is dumping/weakening over Vn and Cambo.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    More on its way >



    Central, eastern and southern provinces have had more rain than they can cope with and dams are already at capacity.

    I hope this storm doesn't damage more rice crops as Isaan farmers are hurting from poor yields despite high [subsidised] prices.

    Meanwhile its dry and dusty in the north. CNX had moderate smoke/dust haze yesterday, visibility to ~ 8km's.

    We need a bit more rain.
    Is it raining pink water?

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,935
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Thai Met sources? 555
    Well...you can discount smoke and dust as its been dumping down all over the region.Plenty of moisture around and sun for a week or so? seems creditable to me as fog type inversions trap the pollution and some isolated cases have proven to be very deadly. Not saying this one could be.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  7. #7
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Well...you can discount smoke and dust as its been dumping down all over the region.Plenty of moisture around and sun for a week or so? seems creditable to me as fog type inversions trap the pollution and some isolated cases have proven to be very deadly. Not saying this one could be.
    CNX and north (Myanmar/Laos/China) have not had rainfall ... very dry in many parts last ~10 days. If you're still in Isaan it should be wet there.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,935
    But to cover half the country,or more, it would take a huge burning event? I believe its been too wet (and early) for it to be burning...doesnt smell like it either. No rain in the NE corner...yet.Moving into Laos from VN now.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  9. #9
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    But to cover half the country,or more, it would take a huge burning event? I believe its been too wet (and early) for it to be burning...doesnt smell like it either. No rain in the NE corner...yet.Moving into Laos from VN now.
    Its not too wet in the north ... burn-offs are in progress as I type. Can smell grass smoke tonight (maybee from next door) 555

    A real big burn is not necessary. I have seen factory and/or waste dump smoke cross from Khon Kaen all the way to Chiang Mai when trapped under an inversion layer.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,110
    So guys, is the air quality going to be OK in November or will it be smoke central. Thought the big burn offs were around Feb - March.

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,935
    ^ November is usually one of the best months...Oct too usually.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  12. #12
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,672
    ^ Should be perfect Ted, this haze comes and goes, today we have 90% clear (blue) sky 10% haze; visibility ~20nm at ground level looking up at Doi Suthep and surrounding hills.

    There's no smoke smell at all.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  13. #13
    Cadet Gold SheriffOfNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    410
    Thanks for that, I'm heading to CM on thurs, was a bit worried about all that smog.

  14. #14
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,672
    System nearly fizzled ...Issan has rain, nothing to worry about.



    Shower in CNX would be welcome .... 30c and very dry
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  15. #15
    Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    6,581
    some pics from Bangkok here: Post Today


  16. #16
    Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    6,581
    Front of Central Festival Pattaya Beach
    Added: 2013-10-16 11:25:30


  17. #17
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,201
    My brother flew out of Bangkok on Tuesday afternoon and said it was bucketing down

  18. #18
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,601
    I remember during my stay in Bangkok 3 years ago. I arrived in early October... and it was torrential non-stop for 3 days... I didn't dare leave my apartment as everything around was under water. Incredible how much water comes down in such a short time... I mean an hour of that intensity in the UK would have serious flooding effects... but 3 days of it? Though it did say on the news it was the worst flooding in Bangkok for 17 years.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  19. #19
    Cadet silver Bar Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    125
    Bucketed down in Bangkok yesterday morning. Stopped by about 1 pm though. Unusually it took a long time to drain off. Pic of Soi 4, Nana attached.

    Cheers,

    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bar4 - Sukhumvit Soi 4, Nana

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •