Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire in Phuket Shopping Centre

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    1000 employees - even for Thailand, that sounds an extraordinarily large number !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    It is/was a very big store. There are probably 40 check outs. I hope no one was injured or killed.

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    1000 employees - even for Thailand, that sounds an extraordinarily large number !
    It's a massive old rambling store, mainly all wood frame (incl un-milled eucalypt) and corrugated iron - imagine a Robinsons Department store & Makro all on one level and there'd be 100's of employees, 400 to 600 would be my guess. Thai rounding = 1,000 555
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    That old place would be a huge fire trap, hope everyone got out...

Photos from Phuketwan

More: Families With Missing Members Gather at Phuket Hospital
    Relatives of people who cannot be yet accounted for were also gathering early today at Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket City, the island's biggest public hospital.

And: Hundreds Look for Signs of Life in SuperCheap Ashes
    A huge pall of smoke rose over the holiday island of Phuket today as rescuers prepared to search the blackened ruins of a landmark shopping centre for victims.
    A fire at the SuperCheap store razed the whole structure and brought hundreds to the scene at first light today seeking news of the missing shoppers and store clerks.
    The Phuket National Blood Service is asking urgently for donors, with medical teams still waiting on the edges of the blackened site. Only firemen have been allowed in so far.
    Officials on Phuket were fearing the worst and have organised a makeshift missing persons' centre at Rajabhat University where residents can go to list the names of friends or relatives.
    Last edited by Hatari; 17th October 2013 at 11:09.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Yeah,big fire hazard there. I seem to recall someone being being bitten by a Cobra while shopping there.....hopefully some bbq snakes and rats the only casualties.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

used to enjoy my weekly 'adventure trip' to Supercheap - had friends with a restaurant in Chalong, closed Sundays, we'd head off with their children, grandparents too, my job was trolley-pusher and attempted childcare (nightmare, needed a couple of leashes!) as they did their supply shopping for the week, load the car then it was the big family dinner.
    Huge place, easy to get lost and imagine the panic of looking for an exit when the fire started.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Their pharmacy section supplied most retail pharmacies as well as the hospitals and public at near wholesale prices - it will be sorely missed.
    Tv news is reporting "several deaths" but no details yet.
    Losses estimated at over 100 million baht.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Does not look good at all very sad.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Yeah,big fire hazard there. I seem to recall someone being being bitten by a Cobra while shopping there.....hopefully some bbq snakes and rats the only casualties.
    thats got to be a first bitten by a cobra while shopping 555555....made my day Lew....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ i sat at the Muay Thai boxing ring on WS Pats one time and there werent many seats but a few empty ones on the far side with a lone hessian bag on the one next to me.
    Dont know if i bumped it with my arm or if it moved but when the fight ended a Thai guy came over,picked it up,took it up into the ring and emptied a King Cobra out of it for his show.....no wonder the seats were empty around it...gulp!! 555
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Looking at video's she went up quick and disentegrated if not quicker. It was an old building, but massive inside, hopefuuly everyone got out unscathed, but if Zab is hearing reports of deaths then that is not good.

Have ventured there a couple of times, but it was hard yards for me been unairconditioned, it was like been in a sauna
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    It's a massive old rambling store, mainly all wood frame (incl un-milled eucalypt) and corrugated iron - imagine a Robinsons Department store & Makro all on one level and there'd be 100's of employees, 400 to 600 would be my guess. Thai rounding = 1,000 555
    Phuketwan:

Thousands Thrown Out of Work

SuperCheap has 3500 employees at the store, making it probably the biggest private employer on Phuket.

The store covered 7700 square metres and there was a 4000 square metre warehouse attached, on 31 rai of land.

Of the staff, 2736 workers are Thai and the rest are mostly Burmese, with some Cambodians and Laotians.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Phuketwan:

Thousands Thrown Out of Work

SuperCheap has 3500 employees at the store, making it probably the biggest private employer on Phuket.

The store covered 7700 square metres and there was a 4000 square metre warehouse attached, on 31 rai of land.

Of the staff, 2736 workers are Thai and the rest are mostly Burmese, with some Cambodians and Laotians.
    Many of those are shift workers and other numbers probably mini-supercheap-mart employees. Despite it's size, SuperCheap would not have anything like 3,500 employees at the old store ..... that's total BS. 55555
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Are you including the warehouse in your assertions Krob - still sticking with 600?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Makro will probably need more staff, it was madness in there this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Are you including the warehouse in your assertions Krob - still sticking with 600?
    ~ 600 shop assistants on shift is my guesstimate. Why, how many do you think?

No idea what they refer to as the warehouse. The whole shebang was stacked to the rafters beyond a sort of central market area and plant/flower nursery. Plastic-ware, caneware, furniture, foodstuffs, catering equipment, motoring, tools, oils, electrical, alcohol ... many flammables and gas cylinders everywhere. Out front in the food-court, inside Bakery, market food ... and no doubt a staff canteen.
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Their pharmacy section supplied most retail pharmacies as well as the hospitals and public at near wholesale prices - it will be sorely missed.
    I for one will now have to find a new source of cheap pharmacy, they were very competitive and you could always get a good price on most things.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Cat has a friend who worked there in accounting upstairs. She was working at the time. All her lot got out from upstairs no problem, but she mentioned phones being lost in the clamour to escape.....so someone can't be contacted and the worst is assumed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast