Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal or suspicious?

Normal or suspicious?

Today I came upon a little seating area next to a temple in CM around lunch time. A non thai asian girl came in for seat and was quickly approached by a thai man in his 50's? He was very friendly and getting the girl to laugh a lot, who I overheard tell him she is Japanese. He was so friendly that he touched her on the head and shoulder and seemed to be talking about taking her somewhere as he showed her what appeared to be a map. At one point the girl seems to shake her head and show reluctance, but the thai man is smooth and soon has her back to laughing.

Anyway after about 5-10 mins he is on the phone and shortly after a big western man with asian lady in tow walk up to them. They seem to know the thai man and soon the western man is also being very friendly and joking with the japanese girl.

A few minutes later they all leave together.

Was this some sort of group tour attempting to be organised or something else going on? Just seemed to have a strange feel the way it all seemed set up. Or maybe I am just being overly suspicious, maybe it is quite normal here.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Maybe they went off for a hot, steamy orgy.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Well that would be much better than the other thought that crossed my mind.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    They went off for a hot, steamy orgy, but she thought she was going to see some temples?
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Sounds like you need to lift your game Sherriff 555!

It's not my game I was worried about, I was concerned about the girl. My previous line of work has made me suspicious, bad sh!t happens to good people far too often.

The scenario sounds weird and hopefully it was nothing, just got a bad feeling about it and the way the other two rocked up in the way they did. That's why I was wondering are some tours orchestrated in such a way?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriffOfNothing View Post
    It's not my game I was worried about, I was concerned about the girl. My previous line of work has made me suspicious, bad sh!t happens to good people far too often.

The scenario sounds weird and hopefully it was nothing, just got a bad feeling about it and the way the other two rocked up in the way they did. That's why I was wondering are some tours orchestrated in such a way?
    Thai guy could be the driver / guide of the tour group.. Possible..
    Could be anything else, innocent or not..

Not much you can do or change about it now, though...
    So best for your own sake to let it rest..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar

Why is it any of your business? If the Japanese lady seemed unhappy or stressed about the situation then maybe cause for concern. If not, then just shrug and enjoy your holiday.

Yes nothing I can do and it probably was just a way of getting some business. I guess it is that part that I am struggling to come to terms with, the incessant sales pitch. I guess in the west we get it with TV advertising, but then again I hardly ever watch TV, so I am just not feeling that comfortable with all the selling.

What it has shown me is how peaceful the environment back home is. No one calling to me across the street, no one offering "help" with ulterior motives. I hate feeling suspicious of people offering help, it feels awful. I understand that many Thais are poor and uneducated, I sympathise, they are just trying to make a living, I'm just not used to it is all.

I feel like every time I step out my hotel I am on the defensive, not just from the sellers, but many things. Watching where I am walking for the dodgy sidewalk, that is if there is one. The constant speeding traffic, hoping not to get hit as I dodge and weave the gauntlet. The random dogs, cats, food carts, dangerous workers sending off sparks onto the footpath, the dirtiness and smelliness. It's an OH&S nightmare 555. By the time I make it back to the hotel it feels like a sense of achievement.

The traffic and lack of crossings are so bad I even turned back the other day from going somewhere. I stood to cross the road for 10 minutes but there was no let up, and walking up and down there was literally no where safe to cross.

It's like being in some strange alternate reality where everyone is just on auto pilot, no one is really thinking about what is happening it is all just happening. I can really see why Thailand has such a high road toll, everyone is just pushing the limits too much, there is no room for error. Either they have little regard for their own lives or they have some desperate mindset that makes them in such a chaotic hurry.

I'm not being negative, I'm laughing as I write this, and not trying to sound superior, every country has its share of issues. Just some observations I felt to get off my chest, that perhaps seem to be stressing me a bit 555.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Why is it any of your business?
    I was just concerned, as I said maybe it is the Thai style I am learning about and just wanted to ask those in the know. Thank you.

That previous post may have come off as complaining though really it wasn't, just making sense of the place.

On the other hand I have met some really lovely Thai people and been shown some great hospitality. Once I get used to the place I can also see the freedom that can be found within the chaos and what makes the place so attractive to many westerners, where our societies can seem overly dominated by law and order.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Not speaking bad , but it sounds like you are facing a bit of culture shock.

You are very tense , and sound quite suspicious of everyone , and that is a normal reaction when you are in a very new place , and that will gradually wear off.
    Try not to 'dwell' on things and compare everything you see , better you relax and go with the flow a bit if you can , you can always pull out of anything if you are not feeling comfortable here in LOS.
    Sure people want to be your friend AND sell you something - you never bought a used car back home? 555

You know , I am 100% certain you are way safer out on the street in the evening here than any city in Australia ...really.
    Chin up. If you make a mistake , it may cost you a thousand!
    Yes , $30 Aus...

So are you in law enforcement or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Not speaking bad , but it sounds like you are facing a bit of culture shock.

You are very tense , and sound quite suspicious of everyone , and that is a normal reaction when you are in a very new place , and that will gradually wear off.
    Try not to 'dwell' on things and compare everything you see , better you relax and go with the flow a bit if you can , you can always pull out of anything if you are not feeling comfortable here in LOS.
    Sure people want to be your friend AND sell you something - you never bought a used car back home? 555

You know , I am 100% certain you are way safer out on the street in the evening here than any city in Australia ...really.
    Chin up. If you make a mistake , it may cost you a thousand!
    Yes , $30 Aus...

Thanks for that, those words have actually relaxed me quite a bit. Culture shock is a good term.

I am doing my best to relax and enjoy the place and as I said many aspects are very appealing. I do really like to experience different cultures but I think being very unwell for a few days sort of threw me and it feels like I've been playing catch up ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    So are you in law enforcement or something?
    I was but left a few years ago. Still certain things stay with you, usually a bit of stress can trigger the old thought patterns.

I was but left a few years ago. Still certain things stay with you, usually a bit of stress can trigger the old thought patterns.
    Let it go man! Let someone else take on the stress and just relax into civilian life.

Are you in LOS on holiday or living here?

On holiday mate. Yes you are right, I need to let it go! Letting it go....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    You need a woman STAT if you are going to enjoy Thailand at all methinks.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    You need a woman STAT if you are going to enjoy Thailand at all methinks.
    Yes, that would probably help. Find some lovely young thing who wants to go boom boom all night for $50.

1. Find a sexy girl in a bar and take her to your room - have sex with her.
    2. If you like her - repeat.
    3. If not - discard.
    4. Go to 1.

You guys are full of good advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast