Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Diving/snorkelling Ko Samui

Diving/snorkelling Ko Samui

A couple of years ago on a trip to Phuket we did a Simba Sea Tours trip to Phi Phi and really enjoyed our day, surprisingly my wife enjoyed the snorkelling. She is willing to have a go at scuba on our next trip to Ko Samui, but would need to have a course that starts you out in a swimming pool like the beginners course I did in Phuket once.
    Would be keen to hear recommendations about where to go for this sort of experience, and what we should expect to pay.
    We will definitely be staying in Lamai for part of our holiday for the nightlife etc, but are thinking a more peaceful location with snorkelling/diving options would be good for some of our time there as well. Or even a neighbouring island?
    Love to hear some suggestions.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    these guys are the best on Samui......

Home | Bophut Diving School

however you may wish to head over to Koh Tao...the whole island is diving centric and you can select from a wide range of dive schools there to do Open Water..some great diving just offshore

Thanks Bacwaan, have just been reading about Ko Tao. The deals which include accommodation for 3 days while you do an open water course have me interested. Any recommendations for such a school on Ko Tao for newbies? (With nice accommodation!)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    One thing to consider when selecting a diving school is the size of the classes. If too many students are being taught at one time it can become a scuba factory and the standard of training can less than perfect. As an instructor who has taught hundreds to dive I wouldn't take more than 4 students in an Open Water Course (usually only 2). That way I could give each the individual attention that is required.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    agree with Soups.....and Koh Tao is prone to that ("factory") practice

I would head over and take a good look around several dive shops before committing...or at least ask plenty of questions prior to any booking if you need to do it before you get here