Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Doi Chaang Coffee

Doi Chaang Coffee

three Doi Chaang cafes in Chanthaburi province, don't know how widespread in the rest of Thailand. Saw this story today, quite a success story and the company president looks a good bloke . . .

We don’t want to be rich, we just want to be happy, says Doi Chaang Coffee Company president Wicha Promyong

edits here, full story at link

[SIZE="4"]Chiang Rai’s Doi Chaang Raises a Community on Coffee[/SIZE]

Perfect cuppa: Wicha Promyong has put in a lot of effort to make coffee the lifeblood of Akha hill tribe from the village of Doi Chang

CHIANG RAI – Organic coffee has helped the hill people of north-eastern Thailand, once impoverished and marginalised, build a viable economy and self-sufficient community.

Wicha Promyong does not offer any platitudes about the success of the Doi Chaang Coffee Company or why its product is rated in the top 1% of coffees worldwide.

Instead, in a quiet voice he will say, “I don’t know”, as though he cannot quite believe it himself.

After working for the Thai Government and running his own successful businesses, southern-born Wicha retired to Thailand’s north – to live “in the jungle” as he calls it. Twelve years ago, Piko Saedoo, an Akha hill tribe elder from the Doi Chang village (unlike the brand, the village name is spelt with only one “a”), approached him for help with their coffee production.

By then, Arabica coffee and fruit trees such as peaches and pears had been grown in the area, the infamous Golden Triangle, for 20 years to replace opium plants under a Thai royal project.

“We went around to Indonesia, India and Myanmar to see how they processed their coffee. We studied a book written by the Dutch 60, 70 years ago on how Indonesia grows coffee. That’s how we started,” he says.

“It took four years to improve the quality. Then I sent a sample to Europe and North America, and they said ‘this is very good coffee’, so we started to expand. Slowly, slowly.”

From 80ha, Doi Chaang coffee is now grown on more than 4,000ha.

The coffee beans are still sorted by hand to ensure quality but now everyone in the village is a coffee expert. They used to earn US$0.50 per kilo; now it’s US$16 to US$20 (RM50 to RM65). From being well below the poverty line, they now earn enough to build a viable economy and self-sufficient community.

“We never think that anything we get belongs to us. Even now, 30% of whatever proceeds we get, we give to the Doi Chaang Foundation. We have built a school, furnished the healthcare centre. We send all the children to school, to university. Whatever money we have, instead of reinvesting 100% of it, we keep some for the well-being of the community."

Millions of baht have been set aside for a childcare centre and a big school for the children in and around the area. Land has been purchased and Wicha is awaiting permission from the authorities to start building.
    He says that none of these projects has received financial support from the Thai Government.

“We’ve done everything on our own, we’ve spent our own money on making life better for the people in the area.

“We have been able to do it just by selling coffee.”

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Hatari, great report, thanks for your work.

Great to see a district becoming self sufficient with their own hard work.

Your right , the guy looks like someone I would love to spend a few hours with.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Great story.. Thanks

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    There are outlets in both Samui and Phuket.....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    they sell it in 7-11's in Canada

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    That is a very cool story.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    coming to a mall near you.....Starbaht's 55

another coffee story from Chiang Rai area, not Doi Chaang, but Doi Tung this time - and more than just coffee - macadamias, weaving and ceramics

from The Sunday Nation

The Doi Tung Development Project run by the Mae Fah Luang Foundation under royal patronage is a massive area that serves as a living university for visitors. It's a great spot to learn about ways to make a sustainable alternative living and how poverty can thus be alleviated.

An hour's drive from downtown Chiang Rai, the site opened in 1988, part of a project launched by Her Royal Highness the late Princess Mother. His Majesty the King's mother, affectionately known as Somdej Ya, wanted to make sure that financially struggling communities had ways to attain self-sufficiency and independence. In the far North, it was a crucial step in weaning farmers from their traditional crop - opium.

The products that are marketed under the Doi Tung brand - coffee, macadamia nuts, fabrics and ceramics - attest to the success of the project in eliminating opium cultivation in the heart of the notorious Golden Triangle. Farmers are instead trained to be skilled artisans and experts in alternative agriculture.

The coffee beans and macadamia nuts are viable crops that have taken the place of the opium needed to make heroin. They're cultivated in a forest that spreads over 3,000 rai. The Doi Tung Arabica coffee beans are advertised as "single-origin", since they come solely from these hills - at elevations of 800 metres or more above sea level.

"A shade-grown coffee bush produces fruit after three years and the beans can be harvested for 50 years," explains Wat Kelawong, manager of the macadamia and coffee farm. "We buy ripe coffee 'cherries' from local farmers at a guaranteed price of Bt22 per kilogram - free of toxins and ochratoxin.

"We can produce about four million tonnes of unprocessed coffee a year, which sells for about Bt15 million to Bt20 million, and that represents a legal and sustainable income for all the local people."

The site has set up its own factory where the coffee beans are roasted ready for sale and service at the more than 20 branches of Cafe Doi Tung around the country.

About 1,000 rai of the forest is home to some 35,000 macadamia trees. It's a long-term crop - it takes seven years before the first nuts can be harvested - but each tree will produce nuts for 80 years. Growing at 800 metres above sea level, they yield around 250 tonnes of nuts in the shell per year, or 50 tonnes of nut kernels.

In the handicraft centre in a 52-rai compound at the foot of the hill, 100 women weave cloth and carpets, accessories and ready-to-wear apparel. Again, you can see the whole process, right from winding the thread on a bobbin. The dyeing, spooling, loom set-up, weaving and finishing are all demonstrated.

"The textile factory was set up in 1994 to offer local women the chance to put their weaving skills to good use and become breadwinners alongside the men," says Kam Takamjing, head of the textile unit.

"We have three generations of families working together. The grandma winds the bobbins, the mother is in charge of weaving and the daughter sews the finished product. So far we have 67 looms and each weaver earns about Bt300 a day."

In the pottery factory, another 100 artisans produce charming ceramics in simple yet stylish designs. The pottery is shaped by rolling, on hand-powered wheels or through pressure-casting. Two kilns wait to fire the water jars, teapots, cups, mugs, vases, spoons and trays. Since 2012 Doi Tung has made four collections of tableware for Ikea, about 10,000 pieces a year all told.

Doi Tung's business success is the fruit of a remarkable experiment in sustainable alternative development. It has revived the forest and helped the environment while transforming people's lives. Each day bears witness to Somdej Ya's ambition. "Help them to help themselves," she said.

Patience is a virtue...

About 1,000 rai of the forest is home to some 35,000 macadamia trees. It's a long-term crop - it takes seven years before the first nuts can be harvested - but each tree will produce nuts for 80 years. Growing at 800 metres above sea level, they yield around 250 tonnes of nuts in the shell per year, or 50 tonnes of nut kernels.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    The factory and growing area is quite easy to access and not far from the 118 road CM>CR.

It`s a lovely drive/ride through the Mae Suai dam area and up to Doi Chaang.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Vietnam is now a very large coffee producing nation;

BBC News - How Vietnam became a coffee giant

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    The factory and growing area is quite easy to access and not far from the 118 road CM>CR.

It`s a lovely drive/ride through the Mae Suai dam area and up to Doi Chaang.
    Quite a long windy road but good views when air is clear.

NB: Arabica beans grown/produced in Th, Robusta ex Vietnam.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Monday, March 17th, 2014
    [SIZE="5"]Chiang Rai Coffee Brands Win EU Recognition[/SIZE]

CHIANG RAI – The European Union has awarded Geographical Indication (GI) to Thailand’s Doi Tung and Doi Chaang coffee brands, official said.

The coffees were the second and third product – after the famed Thai jasmine rice – to be labeled as such in the EU, said Ms. Kullanee Iddisai, Deputy Director-General of Intellectual Property Department.

GI status signifies product’s geographical location or origins, as well as its quality – which is in accordance with traditional methods – and its reputation within its original location.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I was up at the Mae Fah Luang project at Christmas. It was impressive if you like gardens. The only drawback for me was the very heavy traffic. I was in the car with my girlfriend and her family and it was bumper to bumper all the way up and all the way down. I just wished I had been on my D-tracker. That twisty road was just built for a bike with gears. I'm not much of a coffee expert, but it is good to hear success stories.

Lots of pretty Akka girls as well.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Theres a Doi Chaang outlet in Kamala ... I must give it a try.

^ I'm not much of a coffee drinker, the nearest DC cafe to us suits my modest tastes!
    The owner/operator there went on a one-week training course with DC and to me makes a good brew. There are three other cafes with DC signage within range of home - two we visited once only, bloody awful I thought.
    A lot depends on the barista - and also the use of powdered milk does them no favours.
    Often I've been served warm rather than hot, also the half-filled cup syndrome - saving hot water?
    When lived in Chalong there was a Wawee outlet I used often - free internet with each coffee, and there too it very much depended on who was behind the counter that day.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    ^ I'm not much of a coffee drinker, the nearest DC cafe to us suits my modest tastes!
    The owner/operator there went on a one-week training course with DC and to me makes a good brew. There are three other cafes with DC signage within range of home - two we visited once only, bloody awful I thought.
    A lot depends on the barista - and also the use of powdered milk does them no favours.
    Often I've been served warm rather than hot, also the half-filled cup syndrome - saving hot water?
    When lived in Chalong there was a Wawee outlet I used often - free internet with each coffee, and there too it very much depended on who was behind the counter that day.
    I agree with Hatari. A lot depends on the person behind the counter. I've found coffee to be very expensive in Thailand in comparison to other things. I find it odd that it can cost more for a half filled cup of coffee than a whole meal in Thailand. I don't care HOW GOOD the coffee is, I'm not paying 50 to 80 baht for a cup of coffee "Americano" when I can get a full meal of Kow Padt Gai for 35 baht, plus all the water I can drink.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Its like bikini bar at Lamai.
    A full breakfast with a coffee is 100 baht.
    Another identical ( instant ) coffee is 60 baht ( IIRC).... now come on , how much does a satchel of coffee cost?
    ( NE says price per 3 in 1 satchel costs from less tham 4 to 9 baht depending on brand/volume bought)

Quality coffee beans + machine doesn't always ensure a good cup of your favourite style. Nubbins and Nora may recall a few Illy brews here in Cm, bloody awful. Probably old, ready ground stock.

Home-brewed is best although Billpay [SBHotel] makes a pretty mean long black!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Chiang Rai’s Doi Chaang Coffee Planning New Look for Company
    March 30, 2018

CHIANG RAI – Chiag Rai’s famous coffee company, Doi Chaang Coffee Management Co, the operator of the Doi Chaang Coffee chain, has vowed to double its international sites and triple its chains in Thailand this year.

Phitsanuchai Kaewphichai, the company’s co-founder and business adviser, said the company recently completed its rebranding by transitioning Doi Chaang Coffee to a new brand identity with a fresh and modern look both in terms of logo and packaging.

The new brand combines modern elements with the hill tribe identity. The design concept will also be applied to its cafes. The goal is to add young customers to its base of coffee lovers, said Mr Phitsanuchai.

The re-branding also addresses the expansion of its premium coffee shops via franchising, both in the domestic and international markets.

Last year the company added 50 Doi Chaang shops via the franchise system.

He said starting from this year, the company plans to continue to open about 50 Doi Chaang coffee shops per year until the total reaches 300 branches in 2022.

Doi Chaang Coffee is offering three types of franchise shops, with investment of 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 million baht for stores sized 30-50 square metres, 51-100 sq m and 101 sq m, respectively.

The company also provides roasted coffee beans to more than 100 independent coffee shops, some of which it plans to transform to Doi Chaang franchise shops in the future.

Apart from the domestic market, the company also has about 50 Doi Chaang coffee shops via the franchise scheme in Canada, Britain, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.

It expects to double its coffee shop franchises to 100 branches overseas within five years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast