Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you move to Thailand, where would you live?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

If you move to Thailand, where would you live?

I don't know if i ever will live in Thailand full time but i imagine i will have to compromise and live there some of the time down the road.

Just wondering what people's plan on where they will live if/when they move to Thailand?

I said it on another thread but I envision that we'd have an apartment in BKK and buy a house in a beach area within about a 2hr drive from BKK, like the Bang Saray, Rayong area so that we can drive down there.
    I really enjoy the nightlife in BKK and higher end restaurants(and casual ones too) and i have always been a city guy.

Also, it would be good to have the expats say why they settled where they did?

Interesting to see where everyone wants to live

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Bangkok! / Oriental setting / And the city don't know what the city is getting ....

DSC01636a.JPGBKK 039a.jpgBKK 027a.JPG

Base camp for the eventual full-time assault on LOS will be a house in BKK - and if health and wealth prevail we'll spend some time in whatever part of the country that takes our interest - rent a few months here or there - Pattaya, Chumphon, Chiang Mai/Rai - for a start.
    Only if somewhere REALLY took our fancy could I imagine us buying/owning other than in BKK

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

^So is that pool at the back of your house Minder?

For me long term I think I could only handle the climate of Chiang Mai.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Ever since my first visit there I have always loved Chiang Mai and should I move to LOS it would most likely be my base. Just the right mix of big city and relaxed lifestyle.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Where You want to and not on the in-laws doorstep ...
    (even though I have a very nice and well-adjusted extended family).

As the song goes " It's my life "...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Ever since my first visit there I have always loved Chiang Mai and should I move to LOS it would most likely be my base. Just the right mix of big city and relaxed lifestyle.
    overall, i like Chiang Mai's feel the best but i would want to be able to access the beach areas easy enough

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Kamala is working out quite well for me but I also have in mind trying a stint in Chiang Mai or maybe Kon Kaen. I need to see how things shape up with the daughter and her university aspirations.

I will never buy property in Thailand - only rent.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    What a weird and wacky world we live in. People do want to own property in a place they don't want to live and don't want to own property in a place they do want to live..&&&
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Kamala is working out quite well for me but I also have in mind trying a stint in Chiang Mai or maybe Kon Kaen. I need to see how things shape up with the daughter and her university aspirations.

I will never buy property in Thailand - only rent.

Horses for courses - I've just about paid back my house on saved rent.
    I can legally live here until I die - I don't care about gifting it after that 555!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    overall, i like Chiang Mai's feel the best but i would want to be able to access the beach areas easy enough
    I think that is one thing I would miss as I live very close to the sea now. But with relatively cheap flights available i am sure that it would be an incentive to take the odd trip away..

either phuket or chiang mai would be on my wishlist, but in saying that its a long way of before i move to LOS.

Yes
    When I came to LOS on holiday I could not imagine choosing CM over Phuket or Samui as a place to live.

I have lived almost my entire life by the sea..So living in CM I miss it a bit,but all the good beach places in LOS that cater for ferang are too touristy and expensive for me.
    When I go to somewhere like Phuket now it seems like being in another country.I really do not like just seeing nothing but tourists all day.Eating in restaurants with only Ferang.

I also like the climate in CM better not just the great 3 or 4 months of winter but its really cloudy here a lot of the year that really keeps the temp down.

I also choose to leave for the smokey months,which I find awful..I go get a beach sea fix.

I like that there is a lot of normal Thai life here,many people just live there life with nothing to do with Ferangs,we are only a small part of life here.
    Not the only game in town.

Thee is a different feeling here where the population don't hate where they live,and are all missing home.

I read a survey done by one of the universities on how happy Thai people were with their province.
    Out of the 77 provinces, Phuket was last. Strangely enough across the bridge in Phang na was number 1.

I also like the places I can go from here for short trips,Pai,MHS, Nan,CR province.very fast exit from CM into nature.

But everyone has there own priorities .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I think that is one thing I would miss as I live very close to the sea now. But with relatively cheap flights available i am sure that it would be an incentive to take the odd trip away..
    Flights to anywhere inside LOS are cheap and pleniful. It doesn`t take long to get anywhere.

The best way to find where suits you best is to rent and move around and explore.
    I spent about 3 months in CM on about 5 different trips and found there was a lot i wanted to do but didn`t have the time,so needed longer.
    I`ve done a lot of flying here there and everywhere when i first came,bit over that now and enjoy much more doing it by car or bike these days...around 100k k` so far.
    I probably stayed in Phuket one year longer than i should have but a lot was happening and took my time to make the move north and don`t regret it.

Think i could give Loei,Nong Khai or KK a go sometime.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 18th December 2013 at 19:19.

To live in Khon Kaen one would need a big family or support crew of friends as it's central Isaan and best visited as required. Geespot (PI and AI Member) has a home outside KK yet lives with his wife in BKK 90% of the time. A central highrise apartment on Sukhimvit is not expensive. BKK fits the bill for you Paul and only an hours flight to beaches.

Chiang Mai suits us as we like suburban living and an outdoor home garden lifestyle. Having lived on or beside the ocean all my life I don't miss it.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Funny I have lived by he sea most of my life and there is not the same draw tat there once was.
    As long as there are large bodies of water to go sit by or plat on ocean or Lake is no issue for me.

Both city and country for me though country is not the same same as here because where we are thinking there is more going on as rule than Perth...that's not hard though.
    Face it in LOS if there is a reasonable population then your not going to miss out on much.

Bar life has never been of big importance to me as these days prefer to sit around home BBQ and drink beer and listen to my choice of music.
    Done the Patts thing over it, Phuket would annoy me but love BKK.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    through a series of eliminations I have ended up with Samui as my home...at the end of the day I wanted an ideal tropical island vibe but with enough infrastructure to lead a western lifestyle as well when I want it..still loving it her after 2 years...but I still spend a month each year visiting Phuket where I spent my first 3 years here....I get out to Cambodia + PI every year and like to drop in on BKK, Patts and CM once in a while....will probably head up to Koh Chang and Koh Khood again mid year this year

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    What a weird and wacky world we live in. People do want to own property in a place they don't want to live and don't want to own property in a place they do want to live..&&&
    i would probably not ever own a place in Thailand
    any beach house we buy would be in my wife's name and the one house i buy her
    the houses i am looking at are anywhere from 4-7mil baht,but i'd imagine it will be closer to the higher end
    by the time we did this, we'd know each other 15 years and married 10 years so i'd be happy to finally buy her a place
    i'd rent in BKK

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I would probably live in Chiang Mai/Rai. Somewhere up north anyway. I find folk friendlier up there compared to Bangkok or the south.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I would probably live in Chiang Mai/Rai. Somewhere up north anyway. I find folk friendlier up there compared to Bangkok or the south.
    if you get away from lower Suk, BKK is just like CM in that the Thai's don't worry too much about you
    they just go about their own lives

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    If I was ever in a position to live anywhere I have been so far in Thailand, I would have to go with Bacwaan's choice of Samui. I just get such a good vibe about the island any time I have been there. Have stayed Bohupt, Maenam Beach, Chaewang & Lamai so far. I think Lamai would be my choice. For me now it would fill all my boxes for somewhere to live. It is as full on as you want or as quiet as you want, and just has a good feel about it.

Hua Hin would also be high up on the list, for all the reasons I like Lamai, but you have the advantage of being on the mainland, with Krabi not far behind

Phuket as well would be high on the list but perhaps not for a long time living situations. I love Phuket and have always had a great time there. To me it would be to much of temptation to not look after my health so good if I lived there full time.

Another reason for choosing Samui would be the close proximity of my 2nd/3rs/4th choices and could always pay quick visits for a few days without breaking the bank.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast