Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Thai girlfriend has aged a bit..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

My Thai girlfriend has aged a bit..

There is a little old lady who lives in a shack across the soi from my hotel. I have no idea how old she is, and it could be anywhere from 60 to 90. A rough life ages people quickly. But, she could be younger than me. 5555

Every day I see her going through the hotel's garbage in search for plastic bottles. She has to compete with all the other trash seekers who come by on scooters with side cars. Because she never begs and always smiles, I save my bottles and give them just to her. Occasionally, I'll give her a 100 baht as well.

I know she has very little and that a man stays with her as well, but I don't know who might help her out as I never see family come by. She cuts up local plants for flavouring to go with her meager diet of rice. She feeds the left overs to her pack od 3 dogs whom seem better fed than she is.

My girlfriend shops after hours at the vegetable market in Chiang Mai. At 2AM Pui can purchase 5 kilos of something for the same amount as she would spend for one kilo on in a store. Consequently we have bags full of extra stuff. I hate to see things go bad so I always bring something to the little old lady who always appreciates it. Today I gave her a big bag of those purple beat root things that the Thais call..."Jam".

Nice story and pics, something different for a change.

Would like to send some career welfare scumbags from my country to spend a couple of weeks with her.

Good on you Ian - I like to see a good news story

I see one of the minor parties in this Sunday's election wanted to raise the over 60s payment from 500 baht to 3000 baht a month.
    Won't happen - but a reminder there is no pension/superannuation here for so many, and why their offspring send money home monthly.
    And if there is no one to do this, few options.

Ms H's mother visited us in July, we took her to three orchards and the old girl drove a hard bargain - told growers why she wanted the rambutan and longan, bought 280kg in total the morning she left, that evening a bagging operation then her son in law had job of delivering to less well-off families in their area, the rest went to the junior school in the morning. Money well spent; she won't give to monks (they have expensive mobile phones!) but makes a donation to the temple on one of the big Buddhist days each year on behalf of the family.

Anyone know how much per kg people get for recycled plastic, glass, aluminium?
    On one of my bike routes we often see a man, maybe 60+, wheelchair, with a variety of sticks with 'claws' on the end, he slowly makes his way along an open road/highway collecting anything recyclable which goes into a bin on back of his wheelchair. Hard to imagine it would be enough for a single meal.
    And if people stopped throwing things out car windows, he'd be out of a job.

One of the things I really like about this country is that no one depends on the government to support them. They get out and do something, anything. That's why I never laugh at those people that sell things that you think no one will buy.....at least they are out there trying to make a living. Also, very few beggars

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    yep, my missus was flabbergasted to learn that people can sit on their ass, not even look for work in Oz and still get 30,000 baht/month from the govt !!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    One of the things I really like about this country is that no one depends on the government to support them. They get out and do something, anything. That's why I never laugh at those people that sell things that you think no one will buy.....at least they are out there trying to make a living. Also, very few beggars
    Well said !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Now I'm sure they're probably there, but aside from a few beggars here and there I've seen no homeless people in LoS who sit around and do nothing. Some, like this sweet old lady(that story breaks your heart a bit by the way) may be considered homeless in the West, but she's probably content enough with her meager possessions and tries to make a living.

If I had any sympathy at all for Western homeless people, that's all out the window now. Excluding people with mental or physical disability who truly have trouble caring for themselves. But those are by far in the minority. The rest can starve to death for all I care.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Also, just to play devil's advocate to my own rant, I wonder how many people who live on government money in the West would contribute to further crime, corruption and black markets if it weren't for what they were paid.

Maybe it's worth paying these parasites just to keep those factors in check.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    yep, my missus was flabbergasted to learn that people can sit on their ass, not even look for work in Oz and still get 30,000 baht/month from the govt !!
    Dazza, I can understand your wife's reaction but the thing is 30,000baht doesn't get much here maybe rent of a 1br flat. So there needs a bit of perspective of living cost difference.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    I have been flabbergasted in quite a few Isarn baan's where most of the village was sitting around doing nothing (well, maybe drinking and playing cards is doing something)..
    Sure, it's not the government taking care, but their daughters... Just saying..

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Now I'm sure they're probably there, but aside from a few beggars here and there I've seen no homeless people in LoS who sit around and do nothing. Some, like this sweet old lady(that story breaks your heart a bit by the way) may be considered homeless in the West, but she's probably content enough with her meager possessions and tries to make a living.

If I had any sympathy at all for Western homeless people, that's all out the window now. Excluding people with mental or physical disability who truly have trouble caring for themselves. But those are by far in the minority. The rest can starve to death for all I care.
    Have been involved in medical research of homeless people while in med school..
    The biggest majority of homeless people has some form of chronic psychiatric disorder, aggravated by substance abuse and poverty..

Not defending anything, but Western life has very little room for people that don't fit in or can not cope with the demands of Western life..
    In Thailand, or Africa, there are far more ways to be outcast and not starve.. farm hands, people taken care of by family, going in to monastery, etc.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar

Fair few around Suk BKK. Including falang.
    Soi 4 always has plenty

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^^ They have them in Patts. many with deformities and some mothers with sick babies.
    My first trip it tore me to see a mother in rags with a tiny skinny baby sitting, almost lying in the gutter on 2nd Rd. Out side a 7/11 and all these people walking past or going in and out of 7/11 ignoreing her, almost walking on them.
    I gave her 100bt each day. there were others as well deformed no legs and stumps for arms etc it initially had a big effect on me, then a friend expat, told me they are dropped off and picked up by a guy driving a Merc. Jeab told me "Not Thai Cambodian" so instead of giving money after that I went into 7/11 and bought milk and whatever hot food from a food cart and gave it to her.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ supposedly the most hideous looking beggars are recruited from the provinces and taken to the popular tourist areas and given a cut with their boss on their takings. their boss wouldn`t let them starve if they are bringing in the baht.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Not sure if true, but the beggars on Soi 4 are rumoured to pay 500 baht for the privilege of begging on the Soi. Wouldn't surprise me,they are a regular feature and far from destitute. They also Multi-task over the course of a night - begging, selling stuff, shoe shine, etc.

The ones hanging around the 7-11 entrances where there are westerners would also make more than many workers. Only takes one or two donations an hour to do better, although a crappy way to live.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Now I'm sure they're probably there, but aside from a few beggars here and there I've seen no homeless people in LoS who sit around and do nothing.
    you've obviously never been to a Thai village
    plenty of able bodied grown adults sitting around doing fcuk all

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Have been involved in medical research of homeless people while in med school..
    The biggest majority of homeless people has some form of chronic psychiatric disorder, aggravated by substance abuse and poverty..

NOT the case in Vancouver and my biggest hate of the city
    the vast majority of homeless here are either lazy young people or druggies who chose that lifestyle
    either way,they are absolute scum that the liberal govt allows to interfere with everyday, hard working people and it is shameful

i have very little sympathy for a lot of homeless because they put themselves there. my brother is about 65yrs old, mentally slow and physically handicapped and he has worked his whole life

this is huge bone of contention for me, so you will get strong opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    NOT the case in Vancouver and my biggest hate of the city
    the vast majority of homeless here are either lazy young people or druggies who chose that lifestyle
    either way,they are absolute scum that the liberal govt allows to interfere with everyday, hard working people and it is shameful

i have very little sympathy for a lot of homeless because they put themselves there. my brother is about 65yrs old, mentally slow and physically handicapped and he has worked his whole life

this is huge bone of contention for me, so you will get strong opinions.
    Don't mind opinions, but prefer facts..

British Columbia's homeless suffered from severe mental health challenges long before they lost their homes, a new study has found.

And more than half of Vancouver's homeless and mentally ill suffer from schizophrenia, according to preliminary data from another study.

These findings were among the research presented Monday at a "Health of the Homeless" summit in Vancouver.

Mental illness came first

"Health challenges, and especially trauma experience among homeless individuals, start much earlier then actual living in substandard housing, very often in childhood or critical developmental periods," said Dr. Michael Krausz, who holds the LEEF Chair for Addiction Research at UBC.

Krausz presented results of a recent study of 500 homeless British Columbians found in Vancouver, Victoria and Prince George.

Among other objectives, the study was designed to address the chicken-or-egg question that has plagued homeless policymakers for decades: Do people lose their housing due to their mental challenges? Or do they become ill as a result of losing their home?

The results were unequivocal: More than half of the men and women in the large study group were found to have suffered from both physical and emotional abuse, often at an early age. More than seven out of every 10 women were also victims of sexual abuse, along with three in 10 men.
    The Tyee – Mental Illness Leads to Homelessness in BC

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Don't mind opinions, but prefer facts..

The Tyee – Mental Illness Leads to Homelessness in BC
    from a study, funded no doubt, by the liberal govt
    you will get no budging on this one from me since they effect our daily life here and it is shameful the govt allows it with very little care for the hard working people who pay taxes and go to work

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast