Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Thai MP: Marry a farang for easier life

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar

Thai MP: Marry a farang for easier life

Thai MP: Marry a farang for easier life

A Thai MP has gotten into hot water over his controversial suggestion for poor Thai women who want an easy life: “find a farang husband.”

this was effectively discredited at the time as being both a bad/incorrect translation and excerpts taken out of context - (note it was two years ago 2012) . . . and came from that ever-reliable non-news source, the blog Coconuts Bangkok

poor/incorrect translation according to Asian Correspondent Aug 29, 2012

Their only source pointed to a Thai website, which in return is basing the whole story on a single 12-minute YouTube clip, which is an excerpt from a speech by Sunai at a red shirt gathering in front of about 1,000 people in Samut Prakan just outside of Bangkok on August 19. The video has very poor audio so that Sunai’s voices comes off very distorted.

Listening to a clearer, more complete video feed gives a very different impression and also reveals more context to what he was saying, before he was taken out of it by the aforementioned source.

The generally gist of Sunai’s speech (at least the first 20 minutes concerning this story) is about social inequality and the disenfranchisement of the rural population – one of the long-time talking points of the Pheu Thai Party and the red shirt movement. This time the focus is on women in particular and how many would move from the North or North-East Isaan region down to the Central region around the capital in order to find work and potentially also a husband.

3:31 min – 14:28 min: “Some get a good husband, some get a drunken one and some lucky even get a farang husband! And they are getting scolded about why they would get [a farang husband] (…) I used to scold these Thai women too! But ever since I became a red shirt, I know everything about their problems – having traveled all across Europe, I’ve found the truth that: they are really better off marrying a farang! If you ask why – well, it’s because their lives have no future (perspective). The poor people in Isaan, the poor people in the North – they don’t have a future at all! And the women have it harder than the men!”

6:41 min – 16:56 min: ”My dear friends, [these] women are still restricted by culture. These women who are coming from upcountry, who are sitting here and can set up their lives here, these are real brave women! Give yourself a round of applause! (Applause)

At 20:08 min comes the main talking point and the necessary context in order to fully understand why Sunai was bringing up the point of Thai-Farang marriages in the first place:
    20:08 min – 21:06 min: “(Talking in the role of the Thai woman) ‘I may not be fully capable of the Thai language, but I can do German! I can do Norwegian! Because their government has hired me to learn it!’ Thailand has hardly a penny for education. They’re still poor and they can’t even afford free education! But Thaksin makes you learn for free, Thaksin has introduced the 30 Baht healthcare scheme. ...

So, the MP has not really recommended Thai women to marry a foreigner in order for a better life, but rather why many of these women would go into a marriage with a foreigner in the first place.

Ahhh...my bad...old article :-(

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Semantics...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

On the other hand…….

I went with a group of youngsters to some place where they were supposeed to learn about Thai culture. It turned out to be more a reactionary propaganda session.

They advised the girls against becoming mia farang, suggesting that foreign men only married Thai women to save themselves the expense of Bangla Road girl companionship and the cost of employing household help.

In the morning they did various traditional activities at different stations, then they had a lunch of traditional Thai dishes…… with instructions on how to eat in the traditional Thai manner. The rice came as individual sized portions, in traditional plastic bags.

I spoke up for the first time, pointing out that carrots were a fairly recent addition to Thai cuisine. Now they are commonplace (a few grown in the North but mostly imported) but a generation ago they were seldom seen. When the "teacher" recovered form the shock of Thai coming from foreign lips, his response was that carrots were a gift from the man now convalescing in Hua Hin.

After lunch the Buddhists (thus truly Thai) were taken off to a temple (I guess). I have no idea what pearls of wisdom they received there. By then I no longer wanted to know. I stayed with the remaining third or more, most of whom were Muslim, who were left to their own devices for an hour or so.
    Last edited by Mick; 2nd February 2014 at 13:59.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Amazing, another politician that doesn't say what you think they said.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Not such an easy life for the Ferang!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Attachment 7560

Stumbled on this on Facebook yesterday. 555

^^^55555^^^