Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Thai People in USA - Bangkok Post article

Thai People in USA - Bangkok Post article

The cover story for Sunday's Bangkok Post magazine - full cover and three pages - dedicated to stories of Thai people in the USA

Too lengthy to copy here - and like a Mission Impossible message the article will self-destruct in six weeks (they archive for paid subscribers only)
    Read it while you can.
    Gives a mix of stats and several case studies of people who made the move. Nothing controversial in there; I'd never thought about how many Thai people there might be in USA, also unaware of the study programs on offer to Thai uni graduates.

Just a few short edits here of facts and figures, rest at link. The individuals stories are worth reading, and the term 'Robin Hoods' for the ones who work there and send money back to support their families.

[SIZE="5"]The land of missed opportunity [/SIZE]

Thai emigration to the US was almost non-existent before the 1960s, when the US abolished its national origins quota system that had been the basis of its immigration policy, and Thailand’s close Cold War ties with the US introduced American culture to the country for the first time.

The US has since become the most popular destination for Thai emigrants.

According to the US-based Migration Policy Institute, there were 239,942 Thai-born people living in the US as of 2011, up from 169,801 in 2000.

In the past decade, more than 50,000 Thais have received full US citizenship.

For many, the avenue to emigration begins with one of the several study and work programmes offered by the US government.

Michael Mussi, First Secretary and Consul Chief of the visa section for the US embassy in Bangkok, said these work and travel programmes were very popular with Thai university graduates.

“Last year, 5,400 students participated in the programme. We are right in the middle of the programme this year and we think there might be as many as 7,000 students that go, which is a large number,” he said.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    We always hear stories of how hard the US is to get a visa and my wife got denied the 1st time but if your family has just modest means, it is not really any harder than any other country.
    It is just that we are dealing with the poorer demographic here on these forums(in most cases)
    Most of the Thai's we know in Vancouver have worked and traveled in the US pretty easy
    We had drinks with my wife's friend Saturday night and she is waiting to get accepted to MIT in the US

PS-one my wife got her 10yr US Visitos visa, it could not be easier. i don't think they have ever asked her a question coming in the US on 7-8 visits now

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I started a thread about my thai neighbors a while back. There is a new group staying in the house. The owners 2nd wife's mother and father from BKK have been living there for at least 8 months. I'm not sure what the plan is. Maybe hiding out from all the political stuff in BKK. Also there are 2 middle aged women waiting in front every morning to be driven to the thai restaurant that belongs to the house owner. The Thai Underground Railroad. Hasn't been a nuisance as long as they're quiet and they don't all buy a car....
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    We always hear stories of how hard the US is to get a visa and my wife got denied the 1st time but if your family has just modest means, it is not really any harder than any other country.
    It is just that we are dealing with the poorer demographic here on these forums(in most cases)
    Most of the Thai's we know in Vancouver have worked and traveled in the US pretty easy
    We had drinks with my wife's friend Saturday night and she is waiting to get accepted to MIT in the US

PS-one my wife got her 10yr US Visitos visa, it could not be easier. i don't think they have ever asked her a question coming in the US on 7-8 visits now
    MTS,
    What did she do differently the second time that she didn't do the first time?
    How long did the process take and what were the costs?
    Was just a simple as getting the form and going to the interview?
    There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about Thai's getting US visa.
    I would like to get my TGF to the US so she can see what it is like. I have told her she will have a difficult time here because of weather and the life style. Any info or tips you could send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by holdthatthought View Post
    MTS,
    What did she do differently the second time that she didn't do the first time?
    How long did the process take and what were the costs?
    Was just a simple as getting the form and going to the interview?
    There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about Thai's getting US visa.
    I would like to get my TGF to the US so she can see what it is like. I have told her she will have a difficult time here because of weather and the life style. Any info or tips you could send my way would be greatly appreciated.
    the 2nd time she was more established in Canada with a job, work permit, having lived in Canada for some time. the 1st time she was just in a tourist visa to Canada
    it was as easy as booking an appointment, supplying some documents and a easy interview

you say she is your girlfriend, unless her family has middle class sort of money which proves she can support herself
    if she doesn't have a university degree, or money/land to support herself, than the only way usually is the K1 fiance visa, which allows her to visit for 90day and you have to get married within that 90 days

the 2nd time she was more established in Canada with a job, work permit, having lived in Canada for some time. the 1st time she was just in a tourist visa to Canada
    it was as easy as booking an appointment, supplying some documents and a easy interview

you say she is your girlfriend, unless her family has middle class sort of money which proves she can support herself
    if she doesn't have a university degree, or money/land to support herself, than the only way usually is the K1 fiance visa, which allows her to visit for 90day and you have to get married within that 90 days
    No university degree but she has a small farm and about 80 buffalo. Her brothers, sisters, and mother own land adjacent to her land but she is the only one that has a house on the property. Her mother and brothers and sisters have houses elsewhere. I am aware of the K1 visa but we are not ready to get married yet, at least not me. 555
    I think she will have a difficult time adjusting to life outside of Thailand and I want her to see what it would be like. The US seems to make this especially difficult for Thai's coming from Thailand.
    Thanks for the info

No university degree but she has a small farm and about 80 buffalo. Her brothers, sisters, and mother own land adjacent to her land but she is the only one that has a house on the property. Her mother and brothers and sisters have houses elsewhere. I am aware of the K1 visa but we are not ready to get married yet, at least not me. 555
    I think she will have a difficult time adjusting to life outside of Thailand and I want her to see what it would be like. The US seems to make this especially difficult for Thai's coming from Thailand.
    Thanks for the info
    actually
    the best place for a Thai to get a visa to the US is in Thailand.....there is more scrutiny if they apply outside of Thailand
    the way it is, and it might not seem fair when you are in it, is they see 1000's of farangs and tg's role up asking for visas
    i would say a good portion don't have long and stable relationships so they have to be thorough
    if the only thing that you have going for you is the relationship that is usually not enough

how long you been together?

I think the thing they really look at is to determine that the TG has compelling reason to return to Thailand.
    I was actually surprised at how easy it was for my wife to get her first visa to the US. Of course my situation is different in that I live here (Thailand).
    At any rate, we just got her second visa a couple of months ago. Ten year multiple entry.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    I think the thing they really look at is to determine that the TG has compelling reason to return to Thailand.
    I was actually surprised at how easy it was for my wife to get her first visa to the US. Of course my situation is different in that I live here (Thailand).
    At any rate, we just got her second visa a couple of months ago. Ten year multiple entry.
    what type of visa did she get initially?

actually
    the best place for a Thai to get a visa to the US is in Thailand.....there is more scrutiny if they apply outside of Thailand
    the way it is, and it might not seem fair when you are in it, is they see 1000's of farangs and tg's role up asking for visas
    i would say a good portion don't have long and stable relationships so they have to be thorough
    if the only thing that you have going for you is the relationship that is usually not enough

how long you been together?
    We have been communicating daily via Skype for about nine months. I just got back from spending a couple of weeks on her farm. Having her come to the US is kind of the next step. I am not ready to retire for a while so I cannot stay for any length of time in LOS. She can have one of her brothers’ look after her place while she is away. I have read a lot of info about the visa process and understand the scrutiny that is applied.
    So we probably fit into the "role up" category from the consulate's viewpoint.

We have been communicating daily via Skype for about nine months. I just got back from spending a couple of weeks on her farm. Having her come to the US is kind of the next step. I am not ready to retire for a while so I cannot stay for any length of time in LOS. She can have one of her brothers’ look after her place while she is away. I have read a lot of info about the visa process and understand the scrutiny that is applied.
    So we probably fit into the "role up" category from the consulate's viewpoint.
    well, as i said, you have to understand the Embassy's side of it
    you are looking at it as just your personal situation, as you should. hey, i met someone and i want to invite them to visit
    but they see 1000's and 1000's of couples that have only known each other for a short period of time and want to use their relationship or friendship as the basis of getting a visa
    so many people overstay their visas for work related opportunities that they don't have in their country so they have to be selective

well, as i said, you have to understand the Embassy's side of it
    you are looking at it as just your personal situation, as you should. hey, i met someone and i want to invite them to visit
    but they see 1000's and 1000's of couples that have only known each other for a short period of time and want to use their relationship or friendship as the basis of getting a visa
    so many people overstay their visas for work related opportunities that they don't have in their country so they have to be selective
    I completely understand. The problem I am having with the situation is the TG does not understand. I am a US citizen and apparently should be able to make it happen. 555

what type of visa did she get initially?
    Both times a tourist visa, B1/B2. Two years, then ten.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Both times a tourist visa, B1/B2. Two years, then ten.
    That is encouraging to know, but I think because you live in Thailand there is reason to return. When you apply for the B1/B2 tourist visa do you request the length of time and multiple entries or is that what they decide and grant you?