Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Average earnings for Thai workers

Average earnings for Thai workers

Saw mentioned on another thread that the Thai average wage was 300b a day; but that is the Thai minimum wage - set at 300b per day - well off the average

On a 24-day working month, that's 7200b for a minimum wage earner.

What appears to be the most accurate (and up to date) source I could find - figures from the National Statistical Office of Thailand.

They show - based upon data from approx 39.5 million employees - that the average monthly salary for the last quarter (October-December) 2013 was 12,255 baht

The average for manufacturing/factory work a little lower at 11,374

That gives 500 to 600 baht per day - with more people working six day weeks than 5 day weeks it would be I'd say a little under rather than over the 550 baht mark per day.

Since January 2010 (8800b) - four years - average wages across the country have increased over 40%; which goes some way towards explaining the cost increases we've seen in day-to-day living expenses.

Cannot pretend to speak for all of Thailand; but just local notes:

When 7/11 opened in our town about 3yr ago, before the 300 baht day minimum was in force, they started staff on 200b per day, 25b per hour for an 8hr shift; 4800b for a month.
    Now, they have signs outside for staff offering '9500 to 12,000' baht per month, so they have at least doubled their wages to 400 to 500 baht per day.

Don't know if 7/11 have a nationwide wage agreement or if individual franchisees can set their own rate to meet local needs?

No wonder my ham and triple cheese burger has gone from 22 to 27 baht (by the way, how can they say 'triple cheese' unless the old version only had one-third of single slice?)

In January 2014 the Chanthaburi Immigration Office issued 3200 work permits to Cambodian workers; they too must be paid the minimum 300b per day. Due to labour shortage here the skilled ones would be on more.

For people not in government employment, where the benefits (despite not always the best of salaries) are enough to discourage job-hopping, many workers seem content to move jobs for higher salary (as we do!). We've seen neighbours' children do a sort of progression, start at 7/11, then Tesco-Lotus, then a big chain store eg HomePro or Thai Watsadu, each time and extra 1000 month or better conditions - some places offering eg health/disability insurance, accident cover etc as part of their employment.

Ms H's company - they do highway and bridge construction for the eastern provinces of the Gulf of Thailand Rayong to Trat - have the above insurance covers for permanent staff, plus a contribution to a private superannuation scheme. They recently recruited for diesel mechanics from Cambodia - who get the same rate as locals and a lot more than could earn across the border, plus free housing for machinery operators etc who have left their family at home, wherever that may be, and live 'on-site'. They don't pay for their accomm either - and get a cooked meal each evening. All in the interests of retaining good staff.

How are wages for full-time employment in your area?

PS any errors in my maths are due to too much sun, and possibly not enough ice in my beer.

Actually, the 300 TB per day is figured for 30 days, so the monthly pay is 9000TB.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    150 is still common for farm work up country which is very little as we know.(As of a month ago)
    There is a new 7.11 very close by village and I must admit I looked at prices in the context of local wages,
    150 is the low end and I suspect 400 Bt a day is earned by some local gov workers or there abouts anyway.
    That said most if not all would think carefully about purchased in 7.11 as it is a very easy thing to spend a thousand bt.
    Did notice a large bottle of Sang Som has gone up...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My wife has 4 brothers and 1 sister, i don't think any of them finished high school
    None of them make less than 13k/mo....with her brother topping out at 25k+ OT

The company that 2 of her brothers work at is expanding to service western owned companies and the owner has offered my wife a job for 20k

Daihatsu is the big plant in SamutPrakan and that is the holy grail for factory workers in the area if they can get hired......they pay extremely well and great benefits

My Thai labourers are paid 300 Bt per day.

Good tradies such as a tiler may earn ~ 500 Bt + per day.
    A 15 year experienced painting contractor has estimated 20 to 30 days for our house. He will allocate 6 [Thai] men and total labour content is 35k. Do the math ... This compares with a Tai Yai labour only [no experience] costed at 20k.

With building trades one can never be sure of costs. A husband/wife team may still be estimated at only 300 Bt per day, the wife simply mixes concrete, passes bucket, cleans up ... etc. So our painters may end up as 3 couples ... quite likely and what I'm hoping for.

Shop and factory staff wages are more cut and dried. Farm workers won't get out of bed unless 300 Bt is offered... or free kinkow + SangSom.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

These were quoted as Bangkok rates in January 2013:

Skilled labourers see daily wages climb
    The Nation January 28, 2013

Daily hire rates
    Bt500 for basic labour
    Bt500-Bt900 for skilled work

Skilled workers: breakdown in types of work
    Bt600-Bt700: Tiler
    Bt800: Welder
    Bt600-Bt900: Plasterer
    Bt600-Bt800: Carpenter
    Bt600-Bt700: Electrician
    Bt700: Painter
    Bt500-Bt600: Planter/gardener

While SMEs are crying over the blanket Bt300 wage, fierce competition in some industries and the scarcity of skilled workers is pushing the daily pay of some above Bt500.

For the past eight years, Narong Jampatho, 30, a tile layer, has never found difficulty in finding someone willing to pay him Bt700 per day, allowing him to earn Bt20,000 a month. Some of his relatives from Nong Bua Lamphu are also in Bangkok at his persuasio

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    The staff at the Tour Counters earn over 20,00Bt a month....on a retainer plus commission, thats for a shift a day. If they want a day off, they do a double shift one day. Some staff do double shifts all month, 9-30am to 10-30pm, and takehome (send home) over 40,000Bt.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    My IT guy here has his own repair/computer shop with his wife...his call outs are 300 baht an hour...he will usually spend the morning out and then do another few calls again after closing the shop at 6pm

MB guy here charges the same for labour on bike repairs....unless he is your mate 555

Here is one where it is clear people have disposable income.....
    My MIL lives in a middle class neighborhood in SamutPrakan
    It is a good set up where they are on sort of an enclosed street so everyone knows each other
    She picks up odd jobs from babysitting to taking care of older relatives, repair jobs that she gets paid enough to take a cut and send her sons to do it

most of my wife's friends who are educated 30ish earn well over 60k baht monthly.
    Last edited by Mate; 28th March 2014 at 13:00.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    These were quoted as Bangkok rates in January 2013:

Skilled labourers see daily wages climb
    The Nation January 28, 2013

Daily hire rates
    Bt500 for basic labour
    Bt500-Bt900 for skilled work

Skilled workers: breakdown in types of work
    Bt600-Bt700: Tiler
    Bt800: Welder
    Bt600-Bt900: Plasterer
    Bt600-Bt800: Carpenter
    Bt600-Bt700: Electrician
    Bt700: Painter
    Bt500-Bt600: Planter/gardener
    Wow, i'm nearly highest paid. Don't see how, all of the welding I see in Thailand is pretty shocking. I had a look at some of the welds at Suvarnabhumi on the main steel work. All of it is good, but then theres the odd dodgy bit. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOMIS View Post
    Wow, i'm nearly highest paid. Don't see how, all of the welding I see in Thailand is pretty shocking. I had a look at some of the welds at Suvarnabhumi on the main steel work. All of it is good, but then theres the odd dodgy bit. 555
    Are you a welder, Simon?

Go specialize.. I know some dive welders that make more money than me... And they work all over the world, no problem having some time of in Pattaya...555
    And I know you do like living on the edge...

Platinum
    I started as a welder , now more mechanical fitter. But do bit of everything. I don't think I'd like that job, i've never been the strongest of swimmers and i dunno if i could hack it. 55

I started as a welder , now more mechanical fitter. But do bit of everything. I don't think I'd like that job, i've never been the strongest of swimmers and i dunno if i could hack it. 55
    but why don't you look into off-shore work?
    you have the skills and i think you'd love that lifestyle

Platinum
    Because at the moment i lack the qualifications, next 2 years i will be getting training etc. So am going to get as much as i can out of the company. Also my company has places in Bangkok, Malaysia, Taiwan, Vietnam.... so have routes to look into in the future.

Because at the moment i lack the qualifications, next 2 years i will be getting training etc. So am going to get as much as i can out of the company. Also my company has places in Bangkok, Malaysia, Taiwan, Vietnam.... so have routes to look into in the future.
    that is great man
    keep your head down and get that training
    how great would it be to be sent over there to work

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    that is great man
    keep your head down and get that training
    how great would it be to be sent over there to work
    Well its all a possibility.. But yeah thats my plan.. keep at it and see what happens.

My gf gets 12k a month, reception at a guesthouse. She also gets pretty good tips when people check out.

Platinum
    Talking about tips at guesthouse/hotel.
    I remember one time i was checking out, downstairs and went back upstairs to get my suitcase one of the reception staff was checking my room over for damage/mini bar etc. And saw the money i had left on the bed for the cleaners... she picked it up and said thank you walking out the room. So when i checked out last week i left a few notes and coins on the pillow and covered them with the duvet, hoping the cleaner that cleaned my room every day and woke me up got it. 55

Don't the cleaners normally check the room/mini bar etc as you check out?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast