Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Lame article in The Age

Lame article in The Age

Things that can only happen in Asia

A few nice pics of bangla but most of it is dribble. Read if you have time to waste 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Not so lame. From what I understand, Thai Immigration is trying to close the loop hole on attendance (issues) with the Ed Visa. They are slowly requiring that pictures be taken of the students learning (something) in the classroom. Also, I heard through the grapevine that Russians will no longer be eligible for the Ed Visa (I not sure whether that is going to happen or not). Hopefully no one else reads the article... it would be a shame if the Ed Visa requirements became even more stricter, 555
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    What was so lame about it? I thought it was pretty accurate

A similar style article could well be written about NZ and weak enforcement of education visas, foreign students faking attendance, cheating exams . . . a current police case in news this week re a couple whose bank shows over $1.1 million paid through their accounts for university 'ghost writers' - 538 payments over seven years so not a new thing; and I'd say that's the tip of the tip of the iceberg if they dig deeper.

With privatised tertiary education the temptation is there to keep non-attending students (whether local or overseas) enrolled - student gets their education allowance, institution gets gov't funds . . . all happy!

Maybe similar things can happen in other countries?

I was on a student visa for part of 2009 in Phuket.
    They took attendance seriously - two classes per week - miss two sessions in any four week period and you were 'out' and they said they'd notify Immigration re the visa being invalid - and no refund of course fees. Every class attended I had to sign and have tutor counter-sign, and at my report to immigration a woman from the office would accompany students and provide copy of attendance sheets plus produce the original/master book.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    What was so lame about it? I thought it was pretty accurate

I agree M26!!!

Pretty well a common scenario here now.

There are persistent rumours of Immi only conversing in Thai with applicants for back-to-back ED visas.

So Mate, what did you consider "dribble"?
    Or don't you mix with farangs here on ED visas?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Education visas have been a dodgy "stay and work" path here in Perth WA for the last decade ... especially for the Indians..... Studying to be a taxi driver, a courier or a cleaner apparently...

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    ^^^^. Then pay the broke aussie chick 20K to be the wife for a few years to complete the resident visa....
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.