Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Thai graduation

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar

Thai graduation

Preparing for Pre-Primary school graduation.!
    Notice the money trees the nephew is holding -when the girls spent hours folding these baht flowers I asked what if he did not graduate? "Pay bin already" was the reply 555!
    I personally don't like this "copycat Americans" trend ...

PK2.jpgPK Grad.jpg
    Last edited by Zablive; 1st April 2014 at 16:51.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Seems a bit much for a pre-primary graduation. Just a "prep" for the monk hood party he will no doubt get as well as time goes on.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

His older cousin is going for the military red or black ball ballot this week.
    Personally I think 2 years national service (with a regular income) would do him the world of good (he is a casual worker in all senses of the word).
    If he doesn't "go army" he goes to the temple for 3 months, which up our way means 3 months in a solitary tree hut in the forest.
    Either way he'll get a haircut 555!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Preparin
    I personally don't like this "copycat Americans" trend ...
    Yeah it just doesnt sit quite right sometimes does it in a country so rich in its own culture.... like my Step nephew having birthdays now and screaming for presents..5555. , and next ........xmas day is coming

edit: mind due this is realative to what school they go to.....Christian ?
    Last edited by Sydney; 1st April 2014 at 19:07.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

^^^^

Nope - local (Kamala) Muslim/Buddhist school with integration...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^^

Nope - local (Kamala) Muslim/Buddhist school with integration...
    Then theres just no stopping the infection...55
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

I've been to two of these 'graduations' - accept them for what they are, a bit of fun; the ones I went to featured music and dance performances, food (of course) and were attended by brothers sisters parents grandparents aunts and uncles - any excuse for a good old family/community get-together.
    Kids were dressed in the gowns briefly and got a certificate and had their photo taken twice, one alone and one with parents, 100b please.

Go to a less well-off area and the only photos you'll see in houses are ones from events like this; first one I went to I ended up being the unofficial photographer and took as many pics as people wanted - kids with grandparents, aunts etc. They cost 5b each to have printed and I left them with a school teacher to give out to the kids.

I'll add this in here . . . one of the children I photographed with his sole carer - a grandad in his 80s who used to take the boy to school on a bicycle almost as old, died in January this year, meningitis. At the funeral there was only that one small 6x4 photo, the only one there was was of him - he couldn't afford the 100b for the 'official one'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    I've been to two of these 'graduations' - accept them for what they are,
    I've seen a few, and don't accept them because of the bull**** that they are.

^ I suppose children and parents could boycott if they too thought that?

My 'extensive research' (of one, Ms H) suggests they are relatively new - she says about 10 years. But maybe more/longer established in other areas?

Earlier this month the Mercy Centre's 23 'slum kindergartens' across Bangkok for orphans, HIV kids, kids with parents in prison, or abandoned, had their 'graduation' for children heading off to the first grade of their local government primary schools. The motto/theme, as always, is: “Stay in School. No matter what – even if your mom gambles and your dad drinks and there’s no money or food at home in your shack, you must keep going to school! It’s your right! It’s your privilege! Never give up!”

and an older pic:

Every year, there will be a few hundreds 'little graduates' from Mercy Pre-school who attend these fancy graduation ceremonies to remind their parents, "Education is the way out".

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I've seen a few, and don't accept them because of the bull**** that they are.
    A bit harsh I would say, kids all over the world like to dress up. Why deny them the chance if it make them feel good? If only for a moment.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    It does seem that there are more parties for sections of accomplishment for kids these days. I knew things went too far when they started giving trophies to ALL players in sports leagues so as not to alienate the non "first place" teams. I was raised Catholic so I had my own attention getters with gifts at Baptism, First Communion, which I still remember, Confirmation and eventually Matrimony.

It's funny watching people raise kids in the neighborhood these days. Parents sure do seem to worship their one or two kids they have. I am the oldest of five and raised in the 60s. We always seemed to be away from the adults and did our own thing. Another thing that has changed is kids tend to play in front of their homes. We used to go to parks or anywhere the disciplinarians were not. Parents are scared of kidnappings I guess.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Dupree I'm very much in balance with you, I grew up in the 50/60's as a Catholic, all the formal's, First Confession, First Communion Alter Boy etc.

As kids, We left the home area and explored once we had done our jobs and the rule was be home 20mins after the street lights went on..... Too risky these days.

I do agree that Thai shouldn't be replicating US processes, I think they could have the same celebration but have the kids in traditional Thai garments.

I think we need more celebrations now, than we did before as it helps to assimilate and introduce everyone. Something that we used to do on our own but doesn't happen these days.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    At all school events the teacher is held in high regard and officials in particular police always seem to attend in full regalia. So I make sure as "Farang Loong" I make sure they all see I'm the man for family pride and for Sis' sake.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    At all school events the teacher is held in high regard and officials in particular police always seem to attend in full regalia. So I make sure as "Farang Loong" I make sure they all see I'm the man for family pride and for Sis' sake.
    i don't get this post
    what do you make sure they all see?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    A bit harsh I would say, kids all over the world like to dress up. Why deny them the chance if it make them feel good? If only for a moment.
    Sure Thai folk love a set piece event, but the is is a new one that has popped up in the past few years to celebrate no achievement at all. In most of the English speaking world, and no doubt elsewhere, graduation is when a student earns their undergrad degree. Graduating kindergarten pupils is cute for parents with means…… another burden on the less well off, who feel obliged to keep face by fronting for their little Einstein to join in.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    i don't get this post
    what do you make sure they all see?

I think he means Lung Farang, which means foreign uncle.
    Last edited by Mick; 3rd April 2014 at 14:32.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    ^555.... Little Einstein..I'm gonna use it at the next family reunion...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....