Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Russians....rude or not.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar

Russians....rude or not.

from here Phuket: Are Russians really rude?

Every coin has its reverse and the growing number of Russians coming to Phuket is no exception. On the one hand, thousands of tourists come with millions of baht to spend and growing tourist arrivals are the main reason for Phuket’s economic prosperity.

On the other hand, alongside the tourists come hundreds of Russian businesspeople eager to get their slice of this pie. And, as any long-time Phuket resident may tell you, this can sometimes lead to problems.

In the spirit of improving international relations, this monthly column will examine and try to understand what Russians themselves call “the mysterious Russian soul”.

The most common question about Russians is, “Why are they so rude?”

This widespread opinion actually sounds a bit offensive to Russians. Yes, we can be arrogant or rude, but no more than people from any other country. Each nation has good and bad people, pleasant and rude, intelligent and ignorant.

But Russians are stereotyped as being rude 24/7.

One explanation lies in linguistics. Russian methods of communicating, both verbal and non-verbal, are quite different from those of the Europeans and Thais.

The Russian attitude toward smiling is No 1 on the list of differences. Russian philologist Iosif Sternin defines this as the “routine absence of smile”.

While Thais and Westerners view the smile as a normal facial expression, Russians treat it as something special. When you live in Russia you need a strong reason to raise the ends of your lips.

A constant smile is viewed either as something artificial and insincere, or as a sign of a simple mind. Numerous Russian proverbs refer to laughing for no reason as an attribute of a fool or as a sign of some sinister intent.

The same applies to standard modes of politeness such as “How are you?” and other courteous (but basically meaningless) questions.

A Russian reserves such questions for his closest friends, not for strangers.

When you ask Americans, “How are you?” they are always either “great” or “fine” and only a recent earthquake in their home town or similar-scale disaster can make them answer differently.

But Russians never say they are “great” or “fine” because, to them, this would sound like boasting.

Normally the lack of smiles and polite questions is accompanied by a specific manner of speaking.

Russian is one the most melodic languages in the world, though one would hardly believe it listening to Russians for the first time. The reason lies within the field of linguo-psychology.

Russians are generally afraid of looking simple-minded, naïve or childish, which would make them an easy target for a cheat.

So a Russian man will do his best to emphasise his masculinity. He will use a deep, loud voice, he will frown, he will glare – all the attributes of the alpha male that many Russian men learn in childhood.

To some extent this can also be apply with the women. This behavior is more a defence mechanism than intentional rudeness. The soft inside of a Russian’s soul is reserved for those closest to him or her.

The only solution for a Westerner or Thai planning to do business with Russians is to accept all these defence mechanisms as part of the Russian character and to wait for the time when they let you into their inner circle.

Actually, if you are open-minded enough, that won’t take long.

Anton Makrov is Managing Editor of The Phuket News’ Russian-language sister paper, Novosti Phuketa.

- See more at: Phuket: Are Russians really rude?

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    from here [url=http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-are-russians-really-rude-44624.php]
    The only solution for a Westerner or Thai planning to do business with Russians is to accept all these defence mechanisms as part of the Russian character and to wait for the time when they let you into their inner circle.

Actually, if you are open-minded enough, that won’t take long.
    Incredible
    Could only have been written by a Russian 555
    The whole world has to change to accommodate them if they grace another country with their presence???

There are some very nice Russians but the well mannered and well behaved are overshadowed by the boorish, pushy, aggressively loud and often drunk ones.
    Seen it from Phuket to Jamaica, Vladivostok to Auckland.

All Russians will tell you what a great country Russia is, funny how none of them want to live there

would have to agree with this article...the vast majority (not all) ive come across were rude and unaccommodating.

but the worse nationality from personal experience would have to be the chinese...they would have to be the rudest bunch out of the lot. especially phuket...try walking down the narrow footpaths there 555 the chinese take up the whole footpath and they expect you to move out of the way from them ive seen countless of times other tourists trip over gutters etc because of these rude buggers.

I used to play the nice tourist..now i drop the shoulder barge my way straight through them 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    They do tend to keep to their own nationality and not mix, but in saying that i have on occasion come across some very friendly and accommodating Russians. Just this last trip I ended up sitting with a small group of people in CM that included a very friendly and outgoing young Russian. He played guitar and sang us a couple of Russian songs and chatted about his travel experiences and wanted to know more about where we came from. And he is defiantly not the first that I have met who has been friendly..
    I suppose it takes all kinds.
    Last edited by PeteGill; 14th April 2014 at 15:16.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    They do tend to keep to their own nationality and not mix, but in saying that i have on occasion come across some very friendly and accommodating Russians. Just this last trip I ended up sitting with a small group of people in CM that included a very friendly and outgoing young Russian. He played guitar and sang us a couple of Russian songs and chatted about his travel experiences and wanted to know more about where we came from. And he is defiantly not the first that I have met who has been friendly..
    I suppose it takes all knids.
    I've met a couple of nice Russians in the Down Under bar, and in Kanchanaburi as well, but I think they are the ones who come to Thailand to travel and see the country. I met a delightful Russian woman in Kanchanaburi last February, but she was a single lady traveling on her own. The Russian mongerers in Pattaya and Phuket tend to be very coarse men with a rude behaviour. I was a mongerer for many years, but I was always polite to everyone. Maybe that is why I got along well with so many women.

I truly do remember this delightful Russian about 10 years ago. Sometimes a guy just gets lucky once in a while. She still remains one of my more pleasant memories of running into a traveling companion. i'm not showing the "other" pictures I have of Nats.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Here we go again..... "Are (Insert Nationality here) people rude ignorant so and sos?".

OK Just for balance....

Sorry Yanks...Yes Australia has lifeforms that have all the social skills of algae too....

Russians? this guy is pissed off...I wonder if anyone cares.....555

How about these...Russians....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    every country has rude people..some more than others..i found the french particularly rude...especially in Paris..but to be fair there mood did improve when they found out i was not british 555555

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post

. i'm not showing the "other" pictures I have of Nats.

ian you have to stop teasing us like this...5555555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    I had dinner one evening in Patong at the Wine Connection and across from us was two (I guess) Russian couples, who spoke and acted obnoxious to the poor waitress throughout there time there, but I got the feeling that was the way they would have acted anywhere, not just in Thailand, it appeared to be there nature.

What was more amusing that night was a Farang, with no doubt a BG, having dinner there, she almost ignored him the whole time, playing on her phone,. then as soon as they had finished the meal she got up and moved off, he sat there for another 30 minutes before he realised she wasn't coming back, paid the bill and he went off alone.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Sorry but i have to completely disagree with what Meese is saying, he is just so wrong on his opinion

Ian SHOULD keep teasing us...55
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Sorry but i have to completely disagree with what Meese is saying, he is just so wrong on his opinion

Ian SHOULD keep teasing us...55
    you had me worried there for a moment Syd...555555

Cadet Gold
    It probably also has to do with the types of people that goes to certain places. The Brits I have met in Thailand have all been nice people, but I have also been to Mallorca, which is overrun by lower class, hooligan British. If anyone had never met Brits except there, they would think that Brits were the rudest, most unintelligent people in the world.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDK View Post
    ?....If anyone had never met Brits except there, they would think that Brits were the rudest, most unintelligent people in the world.
    Whaatt.....? They aren't......?

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Whaatt.....? They aren't......?
    Don't you know? It's the Russians

I was here today with the missus and 2 nieces, I "assumed" it was outta the way, 2 big bus's full of ruskies turned up, they had a great time!! It was very amusing to see most emerging from the water very red, similar to when you boil crabs :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russians....rude or not.

Double post

I have had many Russians come in and eat at our hotel, (not many book rooms here). They have all been polite and respectful. I have heard horror stories when they stay at the same hotel, but luckily enough, I've had no problems with them

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I've met a couple of nice Russians in the Down Under bar, and in Kanchanaburi as well, but I think they are the ones who come to Thailand to travel and see the country. I met a delightful Russian woman in Kanchanaburi last February, but she was a single lady traveling on her own. The Russian mongerers in Pattaya and Phuket tend to be very coarse men with a rude behaviour. I was a mongerer for many years, but I was always polite to everyone. Maybe that is why I got along well with so many women.

I truly do remember this delightful Russian about 10 years ago. Sometimes a guy just gets lucky once in a while. She still remains one of my more pleasant memories of running into a traveling companion. i'm not showing the "other" pictures I have of Nats.

Those pics seem umm.. Familar? 55

So, your saying you hit that possy? Lol

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Those pics seem umm.. Familar? 55

So, your saying you hit that possy? Lol
    If they are familiar then you saw them when I posted on thaivisa a few years ago. The nimwits at that site don't like old mongerers. They only like their own gay moderators and female b!tches. I think they might have been scared that I might post a photo of them. If you are a straight guy who likes women you don't stand a chance of not being banned.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Last night i was at a bar in Lamai
    2 young guys were in there and things seemed normal but them you feet tension and knew something was about to go down
    One of the BG's was trying to bottle them with à big beer bottle
    They were arguing à bit but not the aggresors
    I walked over and got in between, asked where they were from and they said Russia
    I told them they just better off heading away from here..plenty of girls around
    I dont know what happened but they seemed reasonable enough and listen to me and thanked me

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast