Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy Phuket tuk tuk....looking for help.

Cadet

Looking to buy Phuket tuk tuk....looking for help.

Hi all.

First time poster here.

My wife and I visit Phuket every year or so, and have done so since our honeymoon in 2000. We love the place, and always stay in the heart of patong.

Over the last few trips, I have been secretly toying with the notion of buying a Phuket tuk tuk, to take home to Australia with me. This trip I have cemented the idea and am now active in my endeavor.

However I'm having trouble getting traction, and wondering if anyone out there can help with pointing me in the right direction to buy one? I'm not looking to buy brand new.....I have a soft spot for the second hand ones running around Phuket.

I have spoken to a few people and have been given a few loose leads, but nothing really strong.

I was given the name "Prab keesin", who I believe is the son of the Phuket mayor pian keesin, and president of the Phuket tuk tuk association. However after googling him I'm not really sure if this is a viable option. He appears to be the managing director of a company called "pisona", with around 1000 employees under him. I'm sure he has more important things to do than invest time in a one off dude looking to buy and old car (and rightly so). I have pretty much discounted this option.

I also spoke to a few tuk tuk drivers. Most of them don't understand what I'm trying to do and want to sell you the license as well. One of them did follow what I was trying to do and suggested I buy a hijet from Bangkok, then send it to Phuket get it "fitted out" as a Phuket tuk tuk, then ship it to Australia. This got me thinking......

It looks as though I can import a hijet quite cheaply from japan to Australia. I was then thinking I could buy all the "bits" from Phuket to fit it out and have them sent to Australia and do the work there ( I restore cars as a hobby in Australia).....but again I've hit a brick wall trying to find somewhere to buy the parts in Phuket (canopy, seats, etc...)...

I am assuming the fit outs and parts are available from Phuket????.....I could be wrong there.

I realise registration will be a hurdle in Australia, but I'm focussing on getting it to Australia first....I may not even register it.....but more so have it as a talking point .

So, can anyone at all help me with any information or leads that may help my plight?. My ideal would be to buy and active Phuket tuk tuk to import......it's a little more "authentic".

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I know a Thai guy that works on them and always has them in his yard near patong.

You'd have to have a visa to get legal title to it and as you mentioned all the dramas of getting it to and into Oz.

Maybe not the Hijets.... TukTuk | TukTuk Import | TukTuk Export | TucTuc

Some for sale in Oz a couple of years ago.... Oz should introduce (Tuk Tuk) auto rickshaws as affordable transport. - Topix

Tuk Tuk (꡵) in thailand :Thailand tuktuk.net :We are tuktuk manufacturer and exporter tuktuk from bangkok to England,Germany,Netherland,Switzerland,Australia,J apan,Dubai,Kuwait,Denmak,Finland,France and America

Missing Thailand ?

Good luck,seems a bit too hard to me.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    we had some running around cape town a while ago...but have not seen them for some time now...but dont get into the tourest part of town that much...think they were part of ricki's...perhaps a google search might help you there...they might even tell you where they got them

Cadet
    Thanks for the reply. Obviously the process of buying a car in Thailand is new to me, but in Australia it's very different as you probably already know .

Even though I don't intend to so anything with the car in Thailand, do I definitely still need a visa?.

Sorry to be double questioning, just want to make sure I understand the process fully. All I really want to do is hand over cash and put it on a boat back to australia.

Many thanks to all. What a great forum!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I think your idea of buying the highjet in Japan and fitting it out in AUS is the way to go..can you get the rear cabin with it in Japan?....if so its just seats/benches isn't it?...easily done by any steel fabricater and upholsterer or carriage maker

^ yeah,probably the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post

Even though I don't intend to so anything with the car in Thailand, do I definitely still need a visa?.
    To get it out of the country you'd have to prove legal ownership to get the export papers.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    we had some running around cape town a while ago...but have not seen them for some time now...but dont get into the tourest part of town that much...think they were part of ricki's...perhaps a google search might help you there...they might even tell you where they got them

Thanks meese!...

What is "ricki's".? Will try to find some contact details and see if I can't ask some questions?....

Dave

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ yeah,probably the best way to go.

To get it out of the country you'd have to prove legal ownership to get the export papers.

Agh yes......very sussinct..thanks for that. It makes perfect sense.

The idea of buying the parts and building it at home is becoming my easiest (and only?) option.

Where to find the canopy, belts, seats etc is now the question.

Dave

^ a tourist visa is not hard to get in Oz and would serve the purpose of getting title to it.

The bloke in Patong i mentioned doesn't speak much English,so you'd need someone to interpret, and any unit he might know of might need an engine rebuild and other work.

You might be able to convince someone here to go and see him and ask about the possibility of buying one,remembering that he'll probably act as a middle man and be getting something out of it too.

Cadet
    Thanks Moo. This is a good option.

With the knowledge that I'm returning home to aus in a few days, I suppose I could also transfer it into a thai's name that lives here and get them to send the car to me in Australia?...assuming I know and trust them.

Is there anyone potentially on the board who might be interested in making a little money in the side and talking to this guy in patong? Happy to pay where payment is needed.

Dave

Just thought of something else.

The tuk tuks carry a licensed plate (similar to a taxi plate in Oz) for carrying people and that plate would be worth more than an old run down tuk tuk. Whether you can buy it and get it out with some sort of receipt and not the plate i really would have no idea.

So you'd need to find a reliable shipper with export experience...this mob do just that

Phuket Transport

Cadet
    Thanks Moo.

I have sent the transport company an email asking what the process is, and what sort of proof of ownership I need to provide. I like your idea of buying it second hand without the licence plate. In my eyes, if I was to buy an original Phuket one (as opposed to building it at home) this is the only way to do it.

The few drivers I have spoken to about much a tuk tuk would be worth, have all said around the 1 million baht mark. I know I need to factor in a little thai "meat", but I soon discovered that they were including the cost of the plate in this.

Hoping someone might reply and be up for a bit of cash to speak to the guy you mentioned in patong......or anyone else that can help.

Dave

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    I would have thought there would be a lot of tuk tuks for sale as the old Hijets are being phased out and replaced by the new Suzuki model.

My landlords family are involved in the transport business, they are away for Songkran but I could have a word when they come back if it will help.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    Thanks meese!...

What is "ricki's".? Will try to find some contact details and see if I can't ask some questions?....

Dave

sorry i got the wrong name...its monach...here is a link
    Monarch Tuk Tuk Taxi | Alternative Cape Town Transport

perhaps they might share there knowlege with you..cant hurt to ask

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    I would have thought there would be a lot of tuk tuks for sale as the old Hijets are being phased out and replaced by the new Suzuki model.

My landlords family are involved in the transport business, they are away for Songkran but I could have a word when they come back if it will help.
    Soupdragon,

That would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the phasing out of the current tuk tuk style. I came across an article a few days back saying they were all being swapped out progressively, leading me to think the old ones must be going somewhere!

Dave
    Last edited by Davus; 15th April 2014 at 18:19.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    sorry i got the wrong name...its monach...here is a link
    Monarch Tuk Tuk Taxi | Alternative Cape Town Transport

perhaps they might share there knowlege with you..cant hurt to ask
    Thanks Meese,

I have emailed monarch to see if they can provide any guidance or info.

Out of interest, they have a message in the front of their website saying their operations have been suspended. Perhaps a regulatory issue of sorts.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Dave

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Last time I looked at this for the Patong style tuk tuks (there are others) I ran into a brick wall in that they can only be sold as Taxis to Thais.
    That was new.
    I seriously doubt you'd be able to import anything with a motor, gearbox and diff as a "souvenir" 555!

This might be worth reading (you are not the first)

Used Tuk-Tuk For Sale? - Bangkok Forum - Thailand Forum

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    No contacts in Phuket but I do know a guy with a bike shop in Chiang Mai, nothing to do with Tut Tuts but im sure he would know how/if you could buy one to export. Is it possible to get a price on a new one?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

An old thread from 18 months ago................ http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...64764171,d.dGI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast