Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Video Review of the New Yamaha Tricity Scooter

Video Review of the New Yamaha Tricity Scooter

Chob and I take a look at the new Yamaha Tricity. One thing is for sure, it's a step forward in technology. It's a little underpowered, but good brakes and it corners amazingly well.

Then there is the "Wow Factor". It draws a crowd and people point at it when you drive by.

It's impressive, but I think I'd go with the Honda PCX. They're both 84K.
    PadMC likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    55555 Top Gear comes to TD.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Thinking, thinking - I'll talk to you later Deano.

Did you try it with a passenger for a comparison of altered dynamics? (Soupie asked me to ask this 555!)

EDIT: With such a narrow front wheel track (c/f a rear wheel trike being a lot wider) I'm not so sure about it's "untippability" ...

But no doubt there is a market - not everyone needs to wear leather knee cuffs 55555!
    Last edited by Zablive; 23rd April 2014 at 19:50.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Murphy's law...unsinkable ship,untippable 3 wheel bike...give one to a tourist or Thai and they'll find a way!
    PadMC likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Platinum
    Looks good
    I was trying to get a few details at the bike week but not a lot of info
    Has it got ABS brakes? I saw the Euro version will have.
    If the local version has ABS it would be ideal for beginners too.
    You looked really at home on that corner.

It scooter doesn't stand on it's own. If you don't put your foot down or the stand, it will fall over. The scooter offers nothing for the handicapped, as is.

The TG rode to Patong and back. It's a big bike with heavy duty suspension, 2 shocks. It handles well with a passenger exactly like my YNE. It's basically the same bike with two front wheels. The YNE has more power.

What does the scooter offer? It's fun in the turns. It's new and different. It's a little easier to drive and more stable. ???

PCX's are very stable and smooth riding too.

Not a lot of difference in the power/go between an old PCX/new 125 Click and the 150 but the ride quality and stability of a PCX is much better.The factory fitted Dunlop TT900's are a great little tyre.
    Soupdragon likes this.

I'll see your three and upyou one./

Coming to your local Yammy dealer next year?

Yammy 4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Looks good
    I was trying to get a few details at the bike week but not a lot of info
    Has it got ABS brakes? I saw the Euro version will have.
    If the local version has ABS it would be ideal for beginners too.
    You looked really at home on that corner.
    Yes - ABS plus combi brake system (3 discs).

No ABS. Same as the Honda Combi breaking, they call it UBS.

Riding around after dark, the LED head light is outstanding, especially the high beam. I wonder if I could convert over my YNE?

It does feel awkward to drive sometimes. Most of the time, it's just a motorbike. It takes some getting use to, different, fun.

40% heavier than a similarly powered Click it will be more sluggish and guzzle the juice a bit more
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 23rd April 2014 at 23:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post

Coming to your local Yammy dealer next year?

Yammy 4.jpg
    So Bikers - what's the dynamics here with two rear drive wheels (presumably a diff?) and up front leaning two wheels ala Tricity?

(Again not for the disabled/aging as it's leg over and no platform for the slabs/casks)

Cadet Bronze
    Good vid fellas. I now know all I need to know about it I'll stick to the 125i...

Compared to a Wave / Dream, Click / Scoopi / Zoomer, PCX, Fino etc…

It seems heavy, not as manoeuvrable as a two wheeler, expensive to buy and run, and above all, it is ugly. It may have a bit of novelty values, and attract someone who is not confident on two wheels, but I can't see it being a goer. I reckon it will be gone from the market within a year or two.
    krukke likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    It's Gay. ...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

As far as wow factor goes.....you'd probably get more looks if you grew a tit on your forehead 555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    As far as wow factor goes.....you'd probably get more looks if you grew a tit on your forehead 555
    555...yeah its probably more a WTF than a WOW factor

^ in the end it comes down to what sort of riding you want to do Baccy. Your abilities and confidence on a bike too and budget.
    I know you like the comfort and stability of your PCX and it suits the riding you want to do but it can also handle much longer stints in the saddle if the need or want be.

For ducking down the shops and running around town the Click is great....light and easy to manoeuvre and very reliable as most of the Thai scoots are.

The Tricity thingo is much heavier than both but seems like a nice steady,stable mount if that's wht you're looking for with the drawbacks mentioned.

I recently bought a PCX 150 with 700k's on the clock for a nice price

My ride into town is about 8k's flat out 100k's/hr road and then 4k's slowish in and out of traffic,depending on the time of day,closer and to the middle of town.
    It's also good for running around some of the local loops and attractions at leisurely,no hurry pace.
    Good for hitting the local supermarkets/shopping with plenty of under seat space.

I'm really impressed with the handling of it with the great Dunlops fitted and the smooth stable ride it gives when flat out.......going to get my mechanic to remove the restrictor so that it can do up to 120k's if the need ever be.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 24th April 2014 at 12:34.
    bacwaan likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I agree with Lew on the PCX 150. It is comfortable ride for both operator and passenger, and it still nips in and out of traffic like a small scooter. If I often carried passengers I would buy one in Thailand. But, only occasionally do I take a passenger on my D-Tracker, and it's not all that comfortable for them.

Sometimes people get stuck with what mariners call... "Two foot itis." Meaning if your yacht is 30 feet long you want one that is 35 feet with a few more options. But, if you have 35 foot yacht then you want a 40 footer. It is the same with motorbikes. Smaller is often better and a whole lot more fun. I'm very happy with my 250 Kawasaki motard in Thailand. It's certainly not a highway machine, but it will travel at the speed limit for long distances. Where it shines is in the city where most of us do 90% of our riding. The D-Tracker is just flat out fun to ride and it is actually great to ride in city traffic in Thailand. It is like a real live video game... only for keeps. I discovered the same thing with my two bikes in Canada. I have a 650 V-Strom that cruises nicely at 130 to 140 KM/hr on the highway. It will go faster if I want it to, but 140 is fast enough for me. However, it's not practical for trails. After recently buying a 250 Yamaha XT dual purpose bike I've found it to be more agile and WAY MORE FUN! I just look for reasons to ride it every day. I doubt if I would enjoy one of those 3 wheelers at all. If I'm going to need a big bike like a Harley or Honda 1000cc to 1200cc Cruiser then I might as well drive my truck.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    They're going for 79,500 baht up my way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast