Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kaptainrob

Thread: Thai Drivers License

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Thai Drivers License

My missus got her Thai Car Drivers License in December 2013, we are already aware that after 12 months she then gets her Drivers License for 5 years. If she is not in Thailand in December 2014 what is the timeframe you have to do the renewal test ?

Can she do the test before the 12 month period is up ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    If she goes before the 12 months is up she will only get another temporary 12 month licence.

It's my understanding that you have to wait for the 12 month to expire before you can get the 5 year one.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Gav, as far as I know Paer can renew [to 5 year licence] one month before AND up to 12 months late. No test, just medical cert. and other docs as req'd.

Best to do one month early or at least check with her local Land Transport Office as rules [for testing] have changed and possibly some renewal ones also. I must go renew my m/b licence [expired last year] to avoid re-testing and temp licence again.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Not sure how old the info is or if it's changed recently....

How, when and where to get an extension for a Thai drivers ...
    driving.information.in.th/extending-drivers-license.html
    According to a number of web boards and "all about Thailand" booklets the only way to get a 5 year driving permit is to let the old licence expire first and report to ...
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Paer can have a chat with CJ about it if it helps...CJ got her 5 year licence last year...motorbike and car.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies, I had a bit of a search myself and couldnt find an answer. Ill be in Chiang Mai myself in about 5 weeks so we might have to vist the Licensing Office together and see if we can get an answer, Paer wont be in Thailand in December which is the problem, if they give you a further 12 months after the original 12 months has expired then that would be perfect. She has asked a few friends already and they tell all give her different answers, as per normall 555 And yes Nomad I will let Paer speak with CJ and see what she tells her.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

^
    they tell all give her different answers, as per normal
    you're so right; mine ran out last year and when I inquired about renewing at the Chanthaburi licensing office, I was told six months was the limit after expiry to simply renew . . . I've read before about it being 12mths, but as with so many things does seem to vary from province to province, from day to day, and from person to person, depending upon who you get to see at the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I had a bit of a search myself and couldnt find an answer. Ill be in Chiang Mai myself in about 5 weeks so we might have to vist the Licensing Office together and see if we can get an answer, Paer wont be in Thailand in December which is the problem, if they give you a further 12 months after the original 12 months has expired then that would be perfect. She has asked a few friends already and they tell all give her different answers, as per normall 555 And yes Nomad I will let Paer speak with CJ and see what she tells her.
    LT Office is 5 mins from our place so time it for before beer o'clock
    G4orce and Rivo like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I got my temp license last November after being led astray many times by local Thais. I didn't even get the same answer in the same office when I went at different times. I just have to set up a day to get it done again when I get back.