Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hatari
  • 1 Post By Hatari

Thread: Radio show to teach taxi drivers English

Radio show to teach taxi drivers English

21 July 2014 Bangkok Post

The Labour Ministry, FM 91 and Sukhothaithammathirat Open University will launch an English-learning pogramme for taxi drivers to better prepare them for the Asean Economic Community.

Nakhon Silpa-archa, head of the ministry's Skill Development Department, said the radio program will be broadcast on traffic-and-safety station three times daily. Sukhothaithammathirat instructors will teach the lessons.

Taxi drivers and other listeners will be taught how to use simple sentences to communicate with foreign tourists, such travel routes, tourist spots, fares and others items.

Mr Nakhon said the programme is slated to begin in August and last three months.

Sukhothaithammathirat Open University is also drawing up an English-training programme for taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi airport. The Skill Development Department will ask for space from the airport for the class.

The training programme will be held on different periods for taxi drivers to attend at their convenience.

Mr Nakhon said the Skill Development Department aims to develop English skill for taxi drivers in preparing for the entry into the AEC, to provide better services for foreign tourists, boost their income and promote the country's tourism.

^ well it's a start, and they can listen while waiting in the airport queue . . .

I had a good taxi driver 2 weeks ago from Suvarnabhumi; about 5pm wanted to go to Morchit bus station as knew there was a bus to Chanthaburi leaving 8pm; driver had reasonable English, asked why I wanted to go to Morchit when there was an earlier bus he could get me to, 6.30 from Ekimai, and the taxi fare would be cheaper too . . . he then rang someone to confirm that 6.30 to Chan bus was running, and Ekimai it was - with about 15min to spare and he got one of the attendants to take me to the right ticket counter.

Service! (and he did himself out of a higher fare)
    PeteGill likes this.

^No business acumen that taxi driver.... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

^ It did occur to me that I was being set up - get to Ekimai and 'sorry, no bus today' and instead be taken to family member's guesthouse nearby 'no problem there will be bus tomorrow' . . . or stop to let me out and race away with my bags still in the car, but no such problem. Was one of the registered green/yellow cabs, chit/receipt from airport counter. Saved me 90 minutes wait and a few baht in fare, top marks that man!
    Quarky likes this.

No news on success of that radio show... now this attempt - a "crash course" seems ideal

Taxi drivers to be given English-speaking crash course
    April 21, 2018 By Thai PBS

Taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi international airport will be the first group of cabbies to be given a crash course in English conversation and basic writing free of charge.

The training courses would be provided by the Thailand Professional Qualification Institute under a cooperation agreement signed Friday (April 20) with the Skill Development Department and Airports of Thailand.

Suthi Sukoson, director-general of Skill Development Department, said after the agreement signing ceremony that taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi international airport were the first group of people giving service to foreign tourists or travelers.

“They (cabbies) represent the first line of defence to welcome the tourists and, therefore, it is necessary that they must cause impression for the tourists,” he said, adding that his department initiated the English programme, called “English for Taxi Drivers”, to provide a training course in English conversation and basic English writing to the cabbies.

The programme covers basic English conversation that is normally used such as self introduction, greetings, and giving basic information about tourist destinations.

Taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi international airport would be the first group eligible to apply to attend the training course, he said.

Pisit Rangsaritwutikul, director of Thailand Professional Qualifications Institute, said the cabbies would undergo one-day training after which they must sit a writing test.

On the second day, the cabbies will undergo interviewing test about their English speaking skill and understanding and about proper service for tourists. Those who pass the tests will be issued with a certificate which is good for three years but the certificate will be confiscated once the cabbies break the rule.

According to AOT, about 6,000 taxi drivers are in need of skill training in safe driving and in providing customer-friendly services.

Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Jantong said he expected about 1,000 taxi drivers to pass the tests this year.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    It's nice but I've honestly never seen the need

You are in their country so make sure you know the address you are going

Drivers in Tokyo didn't speak a lick of English....
    I didn't have an issue
    Same Hong Kong a lot of times