Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Bomb blast in patong? [edit: no was in Betong]

Bomb blast in patong? [edit: no was in Betong]

Abc 24 hr news says a bomb blast in patong has killed 3 but i dont see it on bangkok breaking news...yet .

can Anyone who is there confirm?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Cadet Gold
    I think you mean Betong, which is south Thailand.

Last edited by Hatari; 26th July 2014 at 10:57.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    ahh for fucks sake.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Oh yeah, Betong not Patong, that sounds more probable..less sensational.. I only half heard the news reader.

The deep south is a problem that has been overshadowed of late..its been going on for years and can't see it being solved anytime soon... its a relief to hear it hasn't spread north to phuket..The region is getting increasingly left behind ..which only increases the problem.

And the violence is driven by an all too familiar issue...feelings that they are not getting enough of the government's spending on development and essential services and their simultaneous request for more autonomy..the religo/racial differences don't help...it has moved into the terrorism stage...being sent as a government official to the deep south would be like being sent to Siberia. Being sent there as a soldier means going to war being sent there as a teacher means being threatened with death for simply teaching...What is the death toll over the past decade?..5000?.anyone got the stats at hand?

Haven't heard/read much about any change of policy towards the deep south since the new militart gov't installed itself.. Anyone know if the military has been more affirmativ e down there of late?

Difficult to know what the best course of action should be...but it has crossed my mind that the red shirt faction issue could have sent the whole country into a similar mess prior to the coup or may yet do so. I hope not.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    What is the death toll over the past decade?..5000?.anyone got the stats at hand?
    Media often quotes from Deep South Watch as being a reliable source - their site has this:

Latest statistics of the Deep South unrest during 10 years from January 2004 to April 2014 showed that the total number of incidents of violence was increasing up to 14,128 with about 17,005 deaths and injuries altogether. The statistics also showed that of the 6,097 deaths, most of the preys of fatalities were Muslims with 3,583 people, approximately 58.55 percent of the deaths, while there were 2,359 Buddhist deaths, approximately 38.69 percent. On the contrary, there were about 10,908 injuries, most of which were identified as Buddhists, about 6,462 individuals, 59.24 percent, while there were 3,475 injured Muslims, or approximately 31.86 percent. When compared with the monthly incidents of violence, the fatalities and injuries temded to be higher apparently since July 2007, as a result of large-scale military campaign to crackdown on the unrest awhile after the military coup in September 2006.

Either late 2013 or early this year I read that the 150th teacher/education officer had been killed.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Just to underscore the sectarian nature of the violence over ten years they have it nicely divided up by faith.

Meanwhile some comparative stats from Northern Ireland....

In 1985, (a relatively quiet year), authorities recorded fifty-four assassinations, 148 bombings, (Yes That's 3 a week) 237 shootings, 916 woundings, 522 arrests on terrorism charges, 31 kneecappings (shooting out a person's kneecaps) and 3.3 tons of explosives and weapons seized. All this in a tiny country with a population of 1.5 million people.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?