Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Surin Beach is a shabby, uninviting beach now

Platinum

Surin Beach is a shabby, uninviting beach now

Went to Surin Beach today and was amazed and very disappointed with the transformation since the clearance.

Yes there were plenty of obvious problems but today the place is really looking crappy.
    Yes the shacks and restaurants are gone but so are the people and any of the vibrancy that makes Thailand inviting. No deck chairs and no one on the beach. They were swimming or off the beach entirely.

If this was a tourist's first trip, I would be surprised if they would want to return. Patong Beach is not quite as bad but still looks a lot less colourful than before, but there are a myriad of other things to see and do at Patong.

After all, no tourist in their right mind would come to Phuket for pristine unspoiled beaches, it is a commercial tourist area and is well known as such. Unspoiled beaches are available in abundance in other countries and even other parts of Thailand.
    chelski and dave01 like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Eco tourism always sounds like a good idea until you can't get a beer and a burger delivered to your beach chair anymore...555
    Moo Uaon, TMTBOUND and dave01 like this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

I would never spend my tourist baht here again.

Surin beach has been torn up like every beach on Phuket. If you can't appreciate what's happened here, you shouldn't be here.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    To be fair it is low season and a dull overcast day today. I wouldn't expect there to be many tourists there.
    Always be yourself.........Unless you can be a Dragon.........Then always be a Dragon.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
    I would never spend my tourist baht here again.

Surin beach has been torn up like every beach on Phuket. If you can't appreciate what's happened here, you shouldn't be here.
    What exactly am I meant to appreciate?
    We are not quite the usual tourist as we spend a lot of time here.

I think that beach development, chairs etc had gone way too far since 2004 but I think "tourists" would like the option of chairs, beach massages in the shade, buying a drink from a vendor and even bartering for a pair of sunglasses or other junk. To a first timer these are part of the experience, to us "old hands" it is all a pain in the ass but I don't think our opinions are the only ones to be considered.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post

I think that beach development, chairs etc had gone way too far since 2004 but I think "tourists" would like the option of chairs, beach massages in the shade, buying a drink from a vendor and even bartering for a pair of sunglasses or other junk. To a first timer these are part of the experience, to us "old hands" it is all a pain in the ass but I don't think our opinions are the only ones to be considered.
    True. All those little things are what adds to the experience and the atmosphere of the place that I personally enjoy. I like the sort of organised chaos feel of the place. That's how things have been for thousands of years on Earth. The freedom, the bartering, the colorfulness. This is another example of the planet being turned into nothing but shopping malls and Starbucks cafes. So lets clean up another beach so a bunch of fat fucking c*nts aren't offended or hassled by poor people trying to make a living.
    TLandHim likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    I think that the OP has some good comments. Like it or not, people these days expect to find things like sunbeds and some form of shade from the sun on any beach when they go away. They expect to be able to get food and drink in the beach area they are on, without leaving the area that they are in. So having no sun beds, no form of shade and most of the places where you could eat and/or drink removed is bound to be a turn off for a lot of people.

So the concern of people finding other places to holiday other than Thailand that do supply these facilities, (I would think) would be a big concern for Thailand and their tourist business. It is not anything to do with not appreciating why it has happened and if you do not like it, you should not be here. But is more to do with tourists impressions on what is now not being offered that was always here before.

I have not seen any of the hotels or resorts advertising the fact that there will not beach side facilities, and when I mentioned to my GF (who works as a travel agent in Aus) about what was happening in particular at Surin Beach, she also said they had heard nothing. She normally books people at the Twin Palms and other high end resorts in that area.

She also seemed to think that what has been done would detract from people staying there, as a lot of her clients like to be able to use the hotel and the beach/beach clubs that had areas on that beach. Her comments were "why would you spend big money on a beach side holiday and have no facilities to be able to enjoy yourself there".

I hope some sort of compromise can be reached that will allow the return of what was there but on a smaller basis. But to just have a long stretch of beach with no real facilities for people to enjoy it is not the way to retain regular tourism in my opinion.
    TLandHim likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
    If you can't appreciate what's happened here, you shouldn't be here.
    Why so arrogant?

We all know how you feel about the empty beaches, but can you not accept that not everybody shares this view?

What if the beach loses it's magic as a tourist attraction, and Phuket goes in decline as a tourist destination. Would it still be a place you would want to live?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i like the new look on surin..you can always take your own food and drinks with you.....not sure what the case is in aussie(im sure its the same) but alcohol is banned on beaches here in saffa

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i like the new look on surin..you can always take your own food and drinks with you.....not sure what the case is in aussie(im sure its the same) but alcohol is banned on beaches here in saffa
    Most of the main ones here in Perth it has been banned, as well as in the parks that surround them. Is a $200 fine if they want to nick you and destroy all the booze you have.
    Beaches here are very windy, so trying to eat on the beach and not get any sand in your food, or your food blowing away is a good reason not to do it.
    Go for a swim and head to the nearest pub

Cadet Bronze
    I've only been to Surin beach once, got a tuk-tuk from Patong up to Bang Tao beach, but asked to be dropped off at Hat Surin, back in 2012. I remember the entire beach just being covered in rows & rows of chairs & umbrellas. I continued walking over the headland to Bang Tao beach, & walked to the end of that before walking all the way back.

On my 1st visit to Thailand (Phuket), I assumed the beaches would be unspoilt, as they are in Sri Lanka, & was disappointed to see the endless rows of chairs on every beach.

It wasn't the unspoilt tropical paradise beaches I had been expecting.

I do accept however that most tourists don't want unspoilt natural beaches, but need chairs to sit on, rather than on sand, need food & drink immediately at hand without actually moving to get it, which is why so many are disappointed.

not sure what the case is in aussie(im sure its the same) but alcohol is banned on beaches here in saffa
    And that's the best thing about LoS. You're still free to enjoy a drink on the beach without a bunch of Nazis trying to take it away.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynewcastle View Post
    I've only been to Surin beach once, got a tuk-tuk from Patong up to Bang Tao beach, but asked to be dropped off at Hat Surin, back in 2012. I remember the entire beach just being covered in rows & rows of chairs & umbrellas. I continued walking over the headland to Bang Tao beach, & walked to the end of that before walking all the way back.

On my 1st visit to Thailand (Phuket), I assumed the beaches would be unspoilt, as they are in Sri Lanka, & was disappointed to see the endless rows of chairs on every beach.

It wasn't the unspoilt tropical paradise beaches I had been expecting.

I do accept however that most tourists don't want unspoilt natural beaches, but need chairs to sit on, rather than on sand, need food & drink immediately at hand without actually moving to get it, which is why so many are disappointed.
    You've been looking at too many postcards. You can't have unspoiled beached in populated areas. You won't find those in many places where you can comfortably get off a plane and catch a taxi to your hotel.
    TLandHim likes this.

i think thats the problem sun and beer creates lots of noise....thats why i prefer quieter beaches...there is something for every one in los..i just try and stay away from the larger louts...if you feel you want to drink on the beach go to the ones that allow it..its always up to you
    Last edited by meese; 28th July 2014 at 01:31.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    i think thats the problem sun and beer creates lots of noise....thats why i prefer quieter beaches...there is something for every one in los..i just try and stay away from the larger louts...if you feel you want to drink on the beach go to the ones that allow it..its always up to you
    What about the small ones 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    That's just it, isn't it...
    They are clearing all beaches of all commercial activity, so it's a empty beach or no beach..

And they do it because of the law...

But, but, but.. nudity, prostitution and exceeding opening hours are against the law as well... 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I would think it beautiful to see a 50 something expat walking along a deserted beach with their young TG. As she scans the sands for lost baht coins. Paradise...
    Tingtong likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    What about the small ones 555
    5555 you know my spelling is terrible ian....but a good follow up chirp 555555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    That's just it, isn't it...
    They are clearing all beaches of all commercial activity, so it's a empty beach or no beach..

And they do it because of the law...

But, but, but.. nudity, prostitution and exceeding opening hours are against the law as well... 555
    i just prefer quieter beaches eric..not saying thats the way it should be.....all those vendors shacks ect were there illegally...paying bribes to be there....
    Changone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post

The train has left the station gentlemen. Nothing on the King's beach but sand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast