Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Baby Gammy and Thai Surrogacy

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

Baby Gammy and Thai Surrogacy

I could not find a thread on this so started this one ....

The News in Australia has been full of this story in the last week or so ... basically an Australian couple paid a Thai woman to carry their baby ... the IVF treatment created twins ... a healthy girl and a Downs syndrome affected boy - the Australian parents took the healthy girl back to Australia and left the boy with the Thai surrogate.

A week later and the twists that have now followed are the revelation that the Australian "father" is a convicted pedophile and a sudden crackdown in Thailand on clinics offering these "illegal" services....

Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    Broadcast: 04/08/2014
    Reporter: Samantha Hawley
    A baby boy, Gammy, left by his Australian biological parents with his surrogate mother has prompted an outpouring of support from around the world and focussed attention on a booming and largely unregulated baby-making industry in Thailand.

Transcript
    SARAH FERGUSON, PRESENTER: The plight of a baby boy, apparently abandoned by his biological parents in Thailand, has prompted an outpouring of support from around the world.

Baby Gammy was born in Bangkok last December to a surrogate mother who says his natural parents didn't want him because he had Down syndrome and left him behind, taking his twin sister home to Australia.

The case of baby Gammy has focused attention on a booming and largely unregulated baby-making industry in Thailand.

Gammy: No legal action against Australian parents of baby, says Thailand

baby gammy.jpg
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Very tragic story, with a lot of twists and turns, plus "he said, she said", as usual kids treated like footballs, very sad.

Another strange side story;

Japanese claimed to be father of 9 surrogate babies flees on flight to Macau. | Bangkok Post: news

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I wondered who would start this thread if not me..555

Interesting that the Thai reporter is "Samantha Hawley" of "Martial law thread" fame.

No legal action against Australian parents says Thailand. No surprises there then.

What about legal action against the surrogate mother? (Unlikely as she is broke).

Or the doctor that performed the surrogacy procedure (Likely to be struck off).
    Like Thailand can afford to lose even one trained doctor.

How about the thai surrogacy agents?
    Now there's a thing. Absolutely nothing about who they are or what they did.

TIST the new mantra. This Is Still Thailand.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Looks like the "Fair & Balanced" 60 Minutes are going to air with this soon.
    So what happens after this? Will 60 minutes go to Thailand and allow the surrogate mother to give "Her side of the story"?
    Doubt it...

Gammy's parents to give their side of story on 60 Minutes

How are overseas surrogacy and human trafficing related/unrelated?

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Looks like the "Fair & Balanced" 60 Minutes are going to air with this soon.
    So what happens after this? Will 60 minutes go to Thailand and allow the surrogate mother to give "Her side of the story"?
    Doubt it...

Gammy's parents to give their side of story on 60 Minutes

Very poorly written article, jumps from Gammy to their family dog, wtf!;

‘‘They would like Australia to hear their side of the story, before passing judgment on them,’’ the statement said.

‘‘The Australian parents of baby Gammy and his twin sister have asked us for the opportunity to tell their side of the story.

‘‘They would like Australia to hear their side of the story, before passing judgment on them,’’ the statement said.

The couple did not mention anything about Gammy but wanted the public to know they had not abandoned their dog, which was taken away from their family home by the RSPCA on Wednesday.

‘‘They were feeding their dog every day until the RSPCA took her away,’’ a spokesman said.

So they were feeding the dog every day with a media scrum camped outside their house.
    What were they using, airdrops...a drone maybe...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I wondered who would start this thread if not me..555

Interesting that the Thai reporter is "Samantha Hawley" of "Martial law thread" fame.

No legal action against Australian parents says Thailand. No surprises there then.

What about legal action against the surrogate mother? (Unlikely as she is broke).

Or the doctor that performed the surrogacy procedure (Likely to be struck off).
    Like Thailand can afford to lose even one trained doctor.

How about the thai surrogacy agents?
    Now there's a thing. Absolutely nothing about who they are or what they did.

TIST the new mantra. This Is Still Thailand.

I don't understand how any of these people are in the wrong. Aside from the parents running off on the baby.

Is surrogacy somehow wrong or against the law? o.O

Edit: I just read the human trafficking bit in the article.

But I still personally don't see any issues with someone giving a couple a chance at a family if they can't have one. Even if they got paid for it, it would still be a selfless act. Surrogate or not, she gave life to the child.
    Last edited by Bacon; 8th August 2014 at 21:21.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Dunno myself, but there is a real double standard where modern medical "Eugenics" are concerned.
    Apparently, many prospective parents are routinely presented with the opportunity to abort a "Downs syndrome" baby before it goes full term. So where a surrogate mother gets to make that choice it becomes "Hard cheese" for the "Customer" parents if her choice doesn't concur with that of the customer.
    For me, you cannot easily reduce reproduction to a mere legal contract where there are so many ethical and emotional issues.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    This is a real hotspotch story.
    It is big business in India, It is illegal in Thailand but hasn't been enforced till this got all the press and now the TG may be prosecuted.

The TG says the Aust couple wanted her to have Gammy aborted once they were told he was Downes. She refused.
    She says the father came and fed, nurtured the girl twin but ignored Gammy.
    He said originally they knew nothing about him, then they say they were told he wouldn't live past a day or two.

Now iy comes out the father is a previous child abuser of 3 under 10yr olds, served time for it.

On Gammy, we were told he has a heart condition and a charity was set up and has had $230k donated, now it comes out that he didn't have any heart trouble.

I don't think the Ausie couple have done the right thing and I wonder about the baby girl's safety, but I somehow feel we haven't heard all the story or truth yet.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Convoluted he said she said will be a case to sit back before passing any judgement.
    So many sensational claims in the press taking a breath and take some time out.

But if the one claim that seems of the most importance turns to truth and the father is a convicted pedi then he is completely unfit and should have nothing to do with this process....we wait to see.

Abortion illegal in Thailand, so is surrogacy, unless for immediate family member (brother or sister?), so is human trafficing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I don't understand how any of these people are in the wrong. Aside from the parents running off on the baby.
    ...yeah, cause that's nothing...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

Is surrogacy somehow wrong or against the law? o.O

Edit: I just read the human trafficking bit in the article.

But I still personally don't see any issues with someone giving a couple a chance at a family if they can't have one. Even if they got paid for it, it would still be a selfless act. Surrogate or not, she gave life to the child.
    Isn't he a sex case ... So wouldn't be allowed to adopt in Oz?

^B^
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Isn't he a sex case ... So wouldn't be allowed to adopt in Oz?
    We don't have an effective "Sex offenders Register" in Australia.
    Would be a move in the right direction though.
    Just recently a convicted paedo was "Run out of town" after his release from jail.
    He had broken the terms of release almost straight away.
    More on Gammy's dad..

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...nell-assaults/

Well tonight on "60mins" on Ch 9 here, the parents are giving their side of the story.

From the promo's they look stupid and are claiming they wanted to bring gammy with them but the TG threatened to bring the police in and she would take both babies away from them, they say this after initially saying they had no knowledge of the twin, then that thy were told he would die within a day or two of birth.

And their, in tears, last ditch defense is the political situation became too dangerous (the coup) and they had to run for their lives. Get out of Thailand while they could.
    Gee I guess all our BM's must be fools, all those that continued on holiday or even still arrived to start a holiday you all should have been running for your life!!

I wonder what questions will be asked and what other things they will use in their defense.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Well tonight on "60mins" on Ch 9 here, the parents are giving their side of the story.

From the promo's they look stupid and are claiming they wanted to bring gammy with them but the TG threatened to bring the police in and she would take both babies away from them, they say this after initially saying they had no knowledge of the twin, then that thy were told he would die within a day or two of birth.

And their, in tears, last ditch defense is the political situation became too dangerous (the coup) and they had to run for their lives. Get out of Thailand while they could.
    Gee I guess all our BM's must be fools, all those that continued on holiday or even still arrived to start a holiday you all should have been running for your life!!

I wonder what questions will be asked and what other things they will use in their defense.
    His story certainly sounds feeble but hey remember he hasn't had a lot of practice lying to adults to get what he wants....

Enjoy...
    Hatari likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

I'm watching it now.
    I won't preempt what is being said, as i guess due to time differences people won't see it till later.

So far they are not looking good.

60 Min's are not holding back or sugar coating the questions, like I thought they might.

Preempt all you want Mike! saves me waiting another 1.5 hrs to watch it..555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast