Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Getting serious about bribery

Getting serious about bribery

A blue note slipped in with the licence ain't gonna cut it.

Another motorist has been arrested for allegedly trying to bribe a Bangkok traffic cop with Bt50 in what was a futile attempt to get out of a ticket.

Pickup truck driver Wanchai Sudsaengta, 25, was pulled over and then arrested after he did an illegal u-turn at the Rama IX intersection in Huai Khwang at about 7.30am on Thursday.

Police launched a campaign on Monday to give Bt10,000 to any officer who arrested someone for offering a bribe for a traffic offence. Two traffic officers on Wednesday became the first to receive the reward.

The campaign aims to promote and encourage honesty and dignity among traffic officers, who have earned a bad reputation for accepting bribes.

Traffic cop arrests motorist for 'bribe attempt' - The Nation

All this will do will drive up the cost that the people on the street will have to pay MiB, and increase the incidence of extortion in the street.
    Mick likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    read this one earlier in the week...all I can do is 555....counter bribery with a bribe....how Thai is that....555
    Quarky, Zablive, Mick and 2 others like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Follow the money...555
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Or how to turn 200 baht tea money into 10k baht
    Mick likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    All this will do will drive up the cost that the people on the street will have to pay MiB, and increase the incidence of extortion in the street.
    My immediate reaction exactly, cynic that I am.

Not that I have ever had a problem personally. Wearing a helmet, carrying a licence, and generally riding sensibly takes care of most situations. I have been known to give a bit of lip when stopped at a checkpoint and had my bike and person searched…… a waste of my time and theirs. In more than 160,000 km on Thai roads, I have had neither a booking nor an accident.

However, the first time I did my Thai driving Licence, many years ago, the RTP officer filled out all the forms, then asked for 500 baht. I gave it to him, thinking it was the fee for converting from a foreign licence to a Thai one. Turns out that it was the standard bribe at the time…… all the licensed locals had paid the same, no test involved.

25 years on I did the full test, which cost about 150 baht all up, as I recall.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Did the offender's charge sheet read "Offer insufficient bribe"?
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    So a 11000 baht bribe should get you out of a sticky situation. Unless of course of fine is lower than that, in which case no need.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    I just paid a bribe leaving Bkk two weeks ago. They were waiting at the toll booth just north on Don Meaung. He told some B.S. story about me being clocked at 110, which was fine outside of bkk, but only 8o in town. I know his story was B.S, because people were flying past me and I was the only one pulled over. The guy standing by the booth looked in my car and then yelled something over his shoulder, probably "farang!" He was given the Nod and I was directed over to the Man in charge.

What can I for you? Can I pay the fine here? Yes sir, only 500 baht.

The guy in the OP must have had a Mib with the junta looking over his shoulder. . .
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Speeding fine should be,or use to be, 200 baht.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 14th October 2014 at 10:17.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Mick likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    Talk about misguided.

But the campaign backfired and was slammed as targeting bribe givers rather than takers.
    Duh.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    I just paid a bribe leaving Bkk two weeks ago. They were waiting at the toll booth just north on Don Meaung. He told some B.S. story about me being clocked at 110, which was fine outside of bkk, but only 8o in town. I know his story was B.S, because people were flying past me and I was the only one pulled over. The guy standing by the booth looked in my car and then yelled something over his shoulder, probably "farang!" He was given the Nod and I was directed over to the Man in charge.

What can I for you? Can I pay the fine here? Yes sir, only 500 baht.

The guy in the OP must have had a Mib with the junta looking over his shoulder. . .
    Same here first time in CM.

Police road block at night and TGF and i was pulled over. Wearing no helmet (yes, stupid i know). From memory the fine was 500 TBH, but the TGF sweet talked him in Thai, and knocked the officer down to 150 cash on the spot. We were ushered to an out of eye position and I was shocked to see that money go straight into officers pocket before being told to get back underway.

Back home in Aus, the bike would be parked street side and the rider would be finding other means of transport home 55555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I am really torn on this.

When I owned one of my bars I refused to send the police the crate of whiskey for the local police and something extra for the superintendent in the first Christmas that I was there. It resulted with us being the only pub being raided on New Year’s Eve which cost me €6000 in court for permitting drunkenness on New Year’s Eve. In fcuking ireland. I stand by my decision and would never pay off cops because I think they are scum for what they did.

On the other hand I have no problem bringinging someone to an event and afterwards going to a Michelin star restaurant and then to a strip club with an unlimited tab in order to get business. That is the way of the world. I wouldn’t call that bribery but it’s not cricket either.

I did get my own back on the copper though. About three months after he raided me he was captain of a darts team that was playing in our bar. He came as I was kicking out and asked for a lock in. I said no. Pulled out his badge and asked would that make any difference. I asked to see it and dropped it in the drop safe which I had no access to. A week later I brought it back to the station. Caused mayhem but was worth it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Bribery is how Canadian politics operates. A business wants special concessions and they offer a "legal" contribution to the political party in office that makes all the decisions. In Canada, only the ruling party makes any decisions in running the country. And, only those in cabinet make all the decisions. Everyone outside the cabinet are just expensive paper weights. The leader of the party picks his own cabinet to run the country or province. If the ones he picks do not follow his ideals then that person is replaced with someone who does. It is basically a voted in dictatorship. In Canada, we don't vote parties INTO power, we vote parties OUT of power when the smell gets too bad.... and the whole smelly system starts all over again.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Bribery I have never paid in LOS. Just never been in that situation I guess.

Philippines yes many times..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Bribery I have never paid in LOS. Just never been in that situation I guess.

Philippines yes many times..
    Many times my friends had to pay off the Thai police. It was cheaper than going through all the regulations in getting a license. A number of years ago my lady friend on the back of my scooter paid off a cop when I made an illegal turn. After that I made sure I never took that route again.

The only time I got pissed off was after I had FINALLY got all my licenses and papers in order, and yet I still got a ticket for riding in the fast lane when passing a slow moving, over loaded truck dragging long bamboo poles along the ground. That is when I found out that ALL motorbikes in Thailand are supposed to ride in the curb lane and not pass anyone regardless of reason. There actually is a valid law in Thailand for that, but it was meant to prevent old grannies riding their scooters in the fast lane. But, it gives the cops a law to collect their tea money. I already told that story about 6 or 7 years ago.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    The only time I got pissed off was after I had FINALLY got all my licenses and papers in order, and yet I still got a ticket for riding in the fast lane when passing a slow moving, over loaded truck dragging long bamboo poles along the ground. That is when I found out that ALL motorbikes in Thailand are supposed to ride in the curb lane and not pass anyone regardless of reason. There actually is a valid law in Thailand for that, but it was meant to prevent old grannies riding their scooters in the fast lane. But, it gives the cops a law to collect their tea money. I already told that story about 6 or 7 years ago.

I didnt know about that law, its amazing I never got pulled up.....55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    In China you have government officials from various departments drop in for "inspections" every year around two weeks prior to Chinese new year. 500 RMB a visit(less than 100USD) sees them off on their merry way, or they start finding problems. There are about 5 of them.

On the plus side we got a completely illegal construction through no problems(a big patio extension so we could keep steel coil outside). And that's the one I'm comfortable talking about online.

The first week I was there I saw the council sweeper truck doing a couple of runs of our yard. I said huh, it's nice of them to clean up our yard for us. Is that part of the council service? The previous GM looks at me like I'm Forrest Gump and says fuck no! He's supposed to be out there cleaning the streets, but we give him a pack of ciggies a day and he does our yard.

I'm all in favour of greasing up whatever wheel needs greasing if it serves me. Better than all the legal theft that occurs back home day in and day out. Bribery happens to be cheaper and cleaner. Can't even put a goddamn bird bath in your front yard anymore these days without some cnut asking if you got a permit.
    Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post
    I am really torn on this.

When I owned one of my bars I refused to send the police the crate of whiskey for the local police and something extra for the superintendent in the first Christmas that I was there. It resulted with us being the only pub being raided on New Year’s Eve which cost me €6000 in court for permitting drunkenness on New Year’s Eve. In fcuking ireland. I stand by my decision and would never pay off cops because I think they are scum for what they did.

Nope, you have lost me here.

You knew "the rules" for bar owners in that place at that time and deliberately broke them.

What did you think would happen if you painted a target on yourself like that?

You remind me of a guy I booked several times for failing to wear a seat belt. (In reality he simply refused to ever wear one because he didn't believe in them).

I honestly admired him for having the courage of his conviction and his preparedness to be a martyr to his cause and told him so each time I handed him his $A90 fine (a lot of money back in 1987-88).

When he asked Why? I simply replied "Martyrs still get burned ... those are the rules"

I suppose that makes me Scum in your view to.
    Quarky and Oldmanemu like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast