Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Thai's obsession with their food

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Thai's obsession with their food

I started this thread on AI also, but I like to hear everyone's take on it:

Billpay brought up a point in his Stickman interview that I am very familiar with.

He mentioned that he allows his staff to eat any Thai food they want and that it makes them happy.

My wife works at a Thai restaurant and they are given a meal after every shift. Since she works 2 shifts 4 days a week, she eats almost all her meals there.
    They had a chef last year that was a prima donna and just a total **** and he started fcuking with their after shift meals, cooking the same thing every day and there was almost a mass revolt!
    And within the Thai restaurant community here, there is always talk of what restaurant feeds their staff the best.
    Now, I think that is a nice perk and something we'd all think of us a bonus but part of me thought it was a little ridiculous that they were going to quit their jobs over what free food they get.

Bill also mentioned eating a meal together is how they socialize and I find that endearing.
    But don't a lot of our cultures do the same thing......maybe not as much though

But I still struggle with their obsession of their food.
    Part of me thinks it is awesome and I would say where I come from has a big food identity so I understand it also but part of me think it is a bit too much.
    I go down to Latin America and you just don't see the same identity they have with their food that Thailand and most of Asia has(and I do think it is Asia wide) and I find something a bit lacking......like they should have that identity with their food.

And whenever we go somewhere new I always research good Thai food for my wife to try. She is good in that she will eat pretty much any western food and likes a lot of it, I think she just likes to try new places out and see if they are authentic

Overall I think it is a good thing but sometimes I do think it is a bit too much..............

Her not be able to go 3 hours without food will always drive me bananas though 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Marc I cannot work out why they are so small with the amount of food they eat.

I have dated Thai, Indo's, chinese and Fillipino lady's and they are all the same with the food.

As a single guy if you learn how to cook Asian food and are good at cooking it really helps. I think it is even more impressive than a fat wallet.

I met a thai lady back hone a few months ago that i cook better thai than her 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    But don't they eat small but often , which seems like a healthier thing to do
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    But don't they eat small but often , which seems like a healthier thing to do
    With the 5:2 diet..........the eating often and small portions(although my wife never eats small portions!!) is not as fool proof

I think it is the fact they consume very little dairy and breads..........although they eat a ton of white rice which is dead carbs

So I don't have a clue................plus my wife gains about 10lbs every time she goes home!! 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    When I first started taking my first BG out to eat I was impressed with how many plates she would order for just the 2 of us. At first I thought she was really soaking me. But I guess that's how they roll. Thank God it's inexpensive...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Not yank bashing (555), because I think it is a good thing... But I don't think the US has a real food culture..
    By nature, it is a melting pot of cultures and almost everyone will have tasted food from different cuisines as a kid..

For me, as a kid, we ate traditional Dutch cuisine.. Boiled potatoes, boiled vegetables and meat with gravy.. Every day! And I hated it as long as I can remember...
    Since I was raised the way I was (my parents call it independent education, I call it different..) we, the kids cooked one day a week from age 12..
    Which I liked, because we were free to cook what we wanted.. For me pasta's, salads, rice dishes, but never ever boiled potatoes!

My parents blamed me for cooking "strange" food, though what I cooked was just Italian, French or Asian cuisine...
    Many Dutch people still don't eat that type of food, being foreign and all....

And from what I have seen, same goes for the French, the Italians, etc.
    So I don't think it is a Thai or Asian thing only.. But more of a customary thing... Many people like to eat what they grew up with.. Comfort food at an emotional level...
    And people moving to an other culture seem to appreciate their home culture even more..

Just look at the Falang eating places in Thailand, 6 types of breakfasts for 6 types of falang... And they all go for their cultural home food!

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Not yank bashing (555), because I think it is a good thing... But I don't think the US has a real food culture..
    By nature, it is a melting pot of cultures and almost everyone will have tasted food from different cuisines as a kid..

For me, as a kid, we ate traditional Dutch cuisine.. Boiled potatoes, boiled vegetables and meat with gravy.. Every day! And I hated it as long as I can remember...
    Since I was raised the way I was (my parents call it independent education, I call it different..) we, the kids cooked one day a week from age 12..
    Which I liked, because we were free to cook what we wanted.. For me pasta's, salads, rice dishes, but never ever boiled potatoes!

My parents blamed me for cooking "strange" food, though what I cooked was just Italian, French or Asian cuisine...

So I don't think it is a Thai or Asian thing only.. But more of a customary thing... Many people like to eat what they grew up with.. Comfort food at an emotional level...
    And people moving to an other culture seem to appreciate their home culture even more..

Just look at the Falang eating places in Thailand, 6 types of breakfasts for 6 types of falang... And they all go for their cultural home food!
    But how many cultures eat 5 times a day?

And to say the US doesn't have a food culture is pure ignorance. As you said the US is a melting pot of races. Especially European. I'm Italian Irish and I was raised with the Italian culture. Only Irish corned beef and cabbage once a year for St Paddys. My Italian grandmother loved to cook for us. And when it comes to the italian food you were raised with. Italians can be just as picky about a red sauce as thais are about their sam tom...

Because thais don't have breakfast lunch and dinner distinctions. They eat the same stuff all day. No farang wants to eat thai food for breakfast. Eggs bacon potatos toast orange juice coffee is the only way to go for morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    But how many cultures eat 5 times a day?

And to say the US doesn't have a food culture is pure ignorance. As you said the US is a melting pot of races. Especially European. I'm Italian Irish and I was raised with the Italian culture. Only Irish corned beef and cabbage once a year for St Paddys. My Italian grandmother loved to cook for us. And when it comes to the italian food you were raised with. Italians can be just as picky about a red sauce as thais are about their sam tom...
    It's called "bulk food eaters" that eat 5 (why not more?55) times a day... Food with very little calories, very little fat and proteins.. Asian, but saw the same in Tanzania.. Eat=happy, and do it as many times as you can afford...

I did not say the US lacked food culture(s), I said it did not have a real food culture... Any 5 year old will have tasted many dishes of many different food cultures.. I meant no offence...
    Most Thai now adults had a youth of white rice, sticky rice and noodles... and never had any "falang food" before they start working in the hospitality industry..

Because thais don't have breakfast lunch and dinner distinctions. They eat the same stuff all day. No farang wants to eat thai food for breakfast. Eggs bacon potatos toast orange juice coffee is the only way to go for morning.
    I love noodle soup for brunch... But you're right.. Breakfast will always be a coffee and a fag...555

I don't think the US has a food culture as a country but city to city there are huge food cultures.
    Go to Boston and they are great for casual food, subs, pizzas, small bars serving their own recipes
    Go to Chicago and there is huge steakhouses everywhere

PS-My mom is from Irish descent and she made boiled dinner about every 2 weeks..............I absolutely hated it!! 555

To be honest...........I am not a big breakfast person
    I usually just eat fruit but i'd rather eat a turkey sandwich for breakfast than bacon and eggs

If you want to keep nationalities out of it. I'd say the US food culture was based on the farmer meals. Steak chicken pork potatoes corn bread eggs and dairy. Dairy is cheese creams ice cream and butter. We just use salt and pepper for spice. Maybe garlic if we want to be fancy...55

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    To be honest...........I am not a big breakfast person
    I usually just eat fruit but i'd rather eat a turkey sandwich for breakfast than bacon and eggs
    I could never date you if we were gay...

I'd like to know the energy content of Thai food... that Thais eat (rather than Thai food farangs eat) because I get the impression they eat food which doesn't contain a lot of energy... so they need to eat more often because of that? Any nutritionists here?

Post 9 from Rak says the same thing I just noticed... 55
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

I could never date you if we were gay...
    A one night stand would be ok though... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    A one night stand would be ok though... 55
    But no breakfast in the morning...55

But no breakfast in the morning...55
    Throw ya a banana and kick you out 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I hate the way they think they can't function unless the have food in their mouths at 12pm.
    The guys too...."can not,must eat".

"I'm i'm sick because i don't eat som tam for 2 days".

So many times i've been caught going somewhere and been told to come back in an hour after they finish eating....grrr!!

I see it as a weakness.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 10th November 2014 at 11:25.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I hate the way they think they can't function unless the have food in their mouths at 12pm.
    The guys too....can not must eat.

I'm i'm sick because i don't eat som tam for 2 days.

So many times i've been caught going somewhere and been told to come back in hour after they finish eating....grrr!!

I see it as a weakness.
    And that was the part I struggle with
    Like I said.....I am happy to map out Thai places when we are traveling but I think it is ridiculous when she acts like she's dying by not eating in 3 hours.

We were in Hawaii, headed into town and we are with another family.....planning on all going to dinner
    She announces she is going to Thai food...I wanted to throw her in the ocean
    If I ever pulled that in Thailand she would be steaming mad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast