Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Zablive
  • 1 Post By Stillearly

Thread: Optical, Spectacles Laser vision Correction.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

Optical, Spectacles Laser vision Correction.

Lot is said about Dentistry and Plastic surgery in LOS but what about when it comes to eyes? I have never seen much written about that.

When I'm at home I get the Optometrist for free (my taxes) and pay for the frames and lenses or contacts as I may choose. Though paid for to a value by a private insurance fund.

How much does it cost in LOS?
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I have had at least two pairs of prescription glasses at zero cost in the last two years.
    Medicare pays some and private health cover pays the rest, including gap.
    Getting glasses in Thailand never even occurred to me.
    I would be interested in laser correction so I didn't need glasses though.
    Don't know the cost here (Australia) or Thailand. Anyone else know?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    ^ Laser surgury for eyes was about 5K Aud a year or 2 ago, my mate it was the best coin he ever spent, that was here in Perth.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Prescription glasses are cheap here - free check by "the optometrist" and about 1000 -1500 baht for basic lenses, depending on the power.
    It can climb from there with add-ons, particular "designer" frames.
    Being a CC I take in my old titanium frames (bendable) and smile and flirt with the lovely Top Charoen girls and just get a lens refill every 2-3 years or so.
    Do Not Take Your GF/Wife - you'll finish up with a 5000 baht extra on your bin for her "must have" sunglasses (plus you are no longer "a prospect" 555!)

Most people I know who have had laser surgery here or at home finish up with reading glasses 3 years later - my way is cheaper - same result.
    Changone, Nomad and Cuzzy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post

Most people I know who have had laser surgery here or at home finish up with reading glasses 3 years later - my way is cheaper - same result.
    That's interesting as the people I know who have had laser surgery are still glasses free... some over ten years...

Still couldn't have it myself.. 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    That's interesting as the people I know who have had laser surgery are still glasses free... some over ten years...

Still couldn't have it myself.. 55
    I was minus 6 and had LASIK surgery over a dozen years ago , perfect vision for ten years and only in the last couple have I needed reading glasses , they told me it would happen around my mid forties , still okay for driving , watching TV etc , just for computer work and reading

I dropped my glasses last trip and to get new lenses in Phuket was about a quarter of the price compared to home
    Quarky likes this.

Cadet
    I had very poor eyesight when i was 21 (couldn't read the number plate on driving test!). I eventually had laser correction and it is only now after 25 years that i notice that my eyesight is deterioting...well worth the investment!