The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: My girlfriend is dying

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    She didn't tell me she had brain cancer. She just said she was sick and taking medicine for it. Then, her phone went dead. It was only after I got back and had my friend Nong phone her mother that I found out. But, there was not much I could have done in any case... even if I had not gone back to Canada.
    Fair enough. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    She didn't tell me she had brain cancer. She just said she was sick and taking medicine for it. Then, her phone went dead. It was only after I got back and had my friend Nong phone her mother that I found out. But, there was not much I could have done in any case... even if I had not gone back to Canada.
    Maybe I shouldn't say it but your post - or rather Pui's behaviour - makes me smile.

How freakin typical of a TG not to want to upset you or make you sad with bad news ... No, she'd rather say nothing and keep it all "mai bpen lai" and you not worry, not want you think too much ... until...until what? ...just hope that maybe you won't notice when she's gone? ...

She said nothing cause she was thinking of you and did not want to be the source of your unhappiness ...

God Almighty how is that supposed to make you feel? Sad or lucky? ... Gentlemen we will never understand fully these beautiful creatures that we are so fortunate to have touch our lives ... Why not? ...

Well, IMHO because there is too little time... Too freakin little time ....
    Heaven holds a sense of wonder and I wanted to believe...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Very well said, Minder. You pretty much nailed it. She didn't want to upset me, but she is the one who is dying. That would be so typical of her. She always put everyone else ahead of herself. I will eventually get over her, but everything I do here reminds me of her. Right now I'm in a transition stage and need to take some long bike rides to clear my mind.

I've been coming to Thailand for 19 years and Pui is the first Thai woman who has touched me this way. I was a sworn in bachelor when I met her.
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 17th November 2014 at 21:30.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Bro, what would you have done if your GF had gotten sick (terminal) I only asked for Forbes reason for not going to see her, I have had loved ones circling the drain and nothing on this earth could stop me from being at their side. That's all...
    In Ian's defense.....besides the fact he wasn't told.

I do think Ian really cared for her but he also only knew the girl a short time......it has got to be a very awkward position to be in, socially with her family and just internal emotions . How many times did he even meet her mom, who probably doesn't speak a lick of English.
    Just a weird situation to be in for him all around if you ask me
    Distantpeak and Rivo like this.

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't say it but your post - or rather Pui's behaviour - makes me smile.

How freakin typical of a TG not to want to upset you or make you sad with bad news ... No, she'd rather say nothing and keep it all "mai bpen lai" and you not worry, not want you think too much ... until...until what? ...just hope that maybe you won't notice when she's gone? ...

She said nothing cause she was thinking of you and did not want to be the source of your unhappiness ...

God Almighty how is that supposed to make you feel? Sad or lucky? ... Gentlemen we will never understand fully these beautiful creatures that we are so fortunate to have touch our lives ... Why not? ...

Well, IMHO because there is too little time... Too freakin little time ....
    Could it also be to do with Face?
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    And not forgetting Pui kept the full details from Ian, maybe she did not know the extent of her sickness in August but Ian asked if I could get Paer to speak with Pui when I was in Chiang Mai, she rang Pui and spoke with her and Pui said she was ok and staying with her mother. Paer has only met Pui a few times but said Pui was fine and tell Ian not to worry, she wait him comeback to Chiang Mai. So Ian did think there was something not right back in August but if Pui does not tell him he does not know.

Like others have said Ian you take care when your out on the road and all you can do is be there for Pui. Ill see you in a few months.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

There is also the possibility that I was lied to... like so many other long distant relationships. I know dozens of men who thought they were the only man in a Thai woman's life. Pui could have met someone new that suited her better. It happens all the time. I told Pui many times that if she found a guy who wanted to marry her then go for it. I would be sad for me, but I always had her best interests at heart. And, I am a realist. I can do the numbers. I'm almost 40 years older than Pui. I would be really, really pissed off if I came flying back to Thailand, and essentially ruining the remainder of my year, only to discover Pui had a new man in her life.
    Distantpeak likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    11th of March 2018

RIP Pui

It was just over 4 years ago I met Pui for the first time, Ian had been talking about her on here before I met her. Ive got to say she was exactly as Ian portrayed her, she was such a fun girl, whether it was playing snooker, going for a drink or out for dinner she was so out going. Ian has told the story of her sickness and she battled on for 3 year or so years. Must of been hard for Ian to watch her deteriorate until her passing. And im sure Pui and her family appreciated your loyalty over the years Ian

I got the pleasure to spend some time with Ian and Pui, cant believe it was 4 years ago though 555..............and we had some fun times as I mentioned before, and Ian I had forgotten about the big night all the girls had when they were drinking a bit too much up on the top level of Johns Place 555

And were thinking of you Ian, or as Pui sometimes called you "Museum"....................take care on the roads and keep away from those trucks 555

A couple of pics I found of better times................................

Last edited by Rivo; 13th March 2018 at 09:32. Reason: Spelling mistake
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    My cousin died of brain cancer. She was only 41. So sad to see Pui go like this at an even younger age. Just tragic.
    Last edited by Distantpeak; 13th March 2018 at 18:02.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Love that last shot Rivo .... true happiness in that smile

Museum ... hahaha, thats friggen brillant

Look forward to hearing from you again Ian
    Distantpeak likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Condolences to you and Pui's family, Ian.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Thanks for digging up this old topic again, Gavin, but now I have tears in my eyes again. I had forgotten that she used to call me "Museum". That brought a smile to my face. If I have anything to be happy about it is that her suffering is now over. I'm also glad that for a few years the hundreds of pills she was taking brought some of her health back. I just supplied some financing and moral support. I bought her a smart phone and got her interested in life again. I got her walking around the neighborhood. If anything, my support added 4 years to her life. Now it is all over except for the memories... Both good and bad.
    PeteGill, Rivo, OZZYGUY and 1 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Been grieving for a long time Ian, yet I expect it makes it no easier. Thinking of you. RIP Pui.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss Ian

How did you find out Pui passed??

It can be frustrating when medical issues happen and a Thai can't explain it fully
    Obviously not their fault.....just lost in translation

Thank God I have me stepson to explain things if God forbid something happened to Ao but would still be a bit of confusion

I've had two occasions where I got a call that sounded a lot worse than it was
    Although both were bad.....not as bad as I initially understood

One an old gf was hit on her MB(Geespot's niece died)
    But the way it was told to me while I was back in Boston is that my gf died!

I phoned Pui's mother every 2 days and then give my phone to Nong to talk to the mother. Nong is a long time friend who owns a laundry shop and stores my stuff when I'm in Canada. I knew Pui was close to dying on my last visit. She lasted another week. Her mother phoned Nong when Pui died last Sunday, to pass on the news to me.

Tez
    So sad when you know someone. Condolences to the famly nd you Ian

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    RIP Pui.

You did a great thing Ian taking care of her and supporting her through this.

So sorry to hear about your loss mate, Chin up Museum
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Condolences Ian.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Condolences Ian.
    I will get over it Rob, but right now it still hurts. Nothing has ever affected me this way before. Tonight I took a very pretty young lady out for her birthday supper at a nice Japanese restaurant. And, later this evening my current lady friend is coming over to spend the night. But, I still can't get Pui off my mind and all the fun we had together.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    My sincere condolences Ian.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast