Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I've decided to become Buddhist

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

I've decided to become Buddhist

That will allow me to ride at high speed down narrow sois, tailgate other vehicles at 120km/hr, pass multi-vehicles on narrow roads and blind corners, and park anywhere I want at any time I want and not worry about the traffic jam I cause.

A few extra baht in the monk's bowl should solve all my problems.

55555555^B^

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    The word of the day......

Facetious
    fəˈsiːʃəs/
    adjective
    treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humour; flippant.
    "a facetious remark"
    synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, waggish, whimsical, joking, jokey, jesting, jocular, playful, roguish, impish, teasing, arch, mischievous, puckish; More
    antonyms: serious
    Origin
    late 16th century (in the general sense ‘witty, amusing’): from French facétieux, from facétie, from Latin facetia ‘jest’, from facetus ‘witty’.
    Translate facetious to
    Use over time for: facetious

Translations, word origin, and more definitions
    Facetious | Define Facetious at Dictionary.com
    dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious
    lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person. Origin Expand. 1585-1595. 1585-95; facete + -ious; ...
    facetious - Wiktionary
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/facetious
    facetious (comparative more facetious, superlative most facetious). Treating ... Robbie's joke about Heather's picture was just he being facetious. Pleasantly ...
    ‎Etymology - ‎Pronunciation - ‎Adjective - ‎External links
    Urban Dictionary: facetious
    Urban Dictionary: facetious
    facetious. To make an attempt at being funny, while being sarcastic at the same time. Jacky was being facetious when she said, "Yes, let's all go to Iraq for my ...
    Facetious - Merriam-Webster Online
    Facetious - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    Definition of facetious from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary with audio pronunciations, thesaurus, Word of the Day, and word games.
    Facetious dictionary definition | facetious defined - YourDictionary
    Dictionary definitions you can understand - YourDictionary › Dictionary Definitions
    The definition of facetious is a joke made about something serious. An example of facetious is someone saying that people whose homes have burned down ...
    facetious - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
    facetious - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
    Someone who is facetious is only joking: "I was being facetious when I told my mother I want Brussels sprouts with every meal, but she took me seriously!"
    Facetious Synonyms, Facetious Antonyms | Thesaurus.com
    Facetious Synonyms, Facetious Antonyms | Thesaurus.com
    Synonyms for facetious at Thesaurus.com with free online thesaurus, antonyms, and definitions. Dictionary and Word of the Day.
    facetious - definition of facetious by The Free Dictionary
    facetious - definition of facetious by The Free Dictionary
    Definition of facetious in the Online Dictionary. Meaning of facetious. Pronunciation of facetious. Translations of facetious. facetious synonyms, facetious ...
    facetious - Cambridge Dictionary - Cambridge University Press
    dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/facetious
    facetious - definition, meaning, audio pronunciation, synonyms and more. What is facetious? not serious about a serious subject, in an attempt to be funny or to ...
    facetious - Oxford Dictionaries
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

True enough, Changone. 555

Just having a little end of the week fun. But, what other explanation is there for how so many Thais drive and ride, or the risks they take with seemingly impunity? I just make allowances for it, and expect it. It's actually a bit exciting and challenging. It certainly keeps me alert at all times.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Do all Canadians post the same stuff over and over and over again Ian?
    wabbits likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Do all Canadians post the same stuff over and over and over again Ian?
    Yes, when we have nothing better to do. But then most Canadians like to laugh and make fun of everything. Life is too dreary if you are serious all the time.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    The really slow ones can be a problem too.
    From the very inside pushing faster bikes out and around them and into the path of slower cars in the lane closest to them out and into the really faster traffic causes a lot of problems here.

Thai traffic is chaotic but has a certain flow to it that for those that can adapt and learn new things different to their former lives in their senior years is fairly easy to blend into. Many/most can't.

I tend to be one of the ones that everyone is too slow and i need to get past them as soon as possible.
    Not talking about congested urban areas!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    The really slow ones can be a problem too.
    What's that, a Buddhist in doubt?

Better slow down. Might die and come back as falang.
    Quarky and pinecone like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar

I've decided to become Buddhist

I've seen about 20 bodies on the side of the road in my travels, two of those must of been only a few minutes after occurring...brains splattered everywhere, limbs contorted into crazy positions, it is not a funny sight..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PeteGill likes this.

Two events today prompted the topic. I was in a two lane highway (one going, one coming) and I was behind two slow moving cars (about 80 km/hr) and waiting for an opening to pass when I was passed on the INSIDE curb lane by a pickup that brushed my elbow with his mirror. He had nowhere to go because the car in front of me took up too much space, but he still expected me to get out of his way somehow.
    The second event was going down a narrow, twisting soi, when a motorbike came flying at me on a blind corner. He clicked my mirror as he flew by. Had I not been hugging the very side of the soi we would have had a head on collision.

I just kind of expect it to happen.

I understand what Lew is saying, though. Thai traffic just flows, and you have to flow with it or get out of synch and have problems.

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    Ian...Its always confused me as TD's man of many pictures...why you don't have an Avatar. We could start a competition to suggest one.
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Ian...Its always confused me as TD's man of many pictures...why you don't have an Avatar. We could start a competition to suggest one.
    Probably because I don't try to be anyone but who I am. I'm jokster, but I don't like making fun of others. That leaves myself to make fun of.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I've ridden around Pattaya and BKK on a motorbike. Both reasonably challenging things to do, especially in Pattaya coming over the hill from Jomtien where there's about three roads converging.

The road that scares me the most is Highways 201, 304 and 315 from Isaan down to Chon Buri. The calamity that is city traffic is quite safe in comparison to the complete diregard for common sense on highways.

We do this trip on occasion and it is a real eye opener and not for the faint hearted.

The problem with becoming Buddhist and therefore relinquishing ones responsibilites is that I would have to forget or unlearn everything I already know about safety, actions and consequences lol.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

I was really only having fun, Cuzzy. I'm seldom too serious. I know the risks riding or driving in Thailand. Some other Asian countries are worse. I'm actually a better driver in Canada now because of riding in Thailand. It has taught me to concentrate even more than I did before. You can't let your mind wander even for a moment. I see that happening all the time in Canada while people are driving their comfortable vehicles, and they are in some space world thinking they can talk on a phone or send text messages while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I was really only having fun, Cuzzy. I'm seldom too serious. I know the risks riding or driving in Thailand. Some other Asian countries are worse. I'm actually a better driver in Canada now because of riding in Thailand. It has taught me to concentrate even more than I did before. You can't let your mind wander even for a moment. I see that happening all the time in Canada while people are driving their comfortable vehicles, and they are in some space world thinking they can talk on a phone or send text messages while driving.
    I've seen people texting with both hands while holding to the wheel with their knees. On the freeway!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    If you think Buddhist drivers are Nutso, try Christians.
    Some weeks ago someone drove through a red light into my wife's car writing it off and very nearly killing her.
    As she sat in shock by the roadside, the other driver came up and said "It's ok my insurance will pay for the damage".."Are you ok dear? This isn't your first accident is it?". Unfeckingbelievable.....
    Cuzzy likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Some weeks ago someone drove through a red light into my wife's car writing it off and very nearly killing her.
    As she sat in shock by the roadside, the other driver came up and said "It's ok my insurance will pay for the damage".."Are you ok dear? This isn't your first accident is it?". Unfeckingbelievable.....
    Yeah WTF. That's what you say to someone when you accidentally scratch the side of their car or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    The person who crashed into me last year (slowly, thankfully) was a farang woman. I was stopped right in front of her waiting my turn to go into the narrow soi she was driving out of in her car. I could have stopped 20 times in the same length of time when I first saw her. There is no accounting for the idiots who drive anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    The person who crashed into me last year (slowly, thankfully) was a farang woman. I was stopped right in front of her waiting my turn to go into the narrow soi she was driving out of in her car. I could have stopped 20 times in the same length of time when I first saw her. There is no accounting for the idiots who drive anywhere.
    The Thais must have had a ball watching you two. 55

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    The Thais must have had a ball watching you two. 55
    They actually came running to help me. Another Thai verbally abused the woman driver. Had it been a child in front of the car instead of me there might have been a tragedy.

But, I'm actually impressed by the skill level of Thai drivers and riders. And, especially so the huge transport busses that drivers have to negotiate down narrow roads in heavy traffic. I'm amazed how they can fit those huge monsters into such narrow spaces. It's just the few crazies that makes life interesting.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    How ironic.....driving home about 10 mins ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast