Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes
  • 1 Post By PeteGill
  • 2 Post By Rivo

Thread: Long boring ride... sort of

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Long boring ride... sort of

I just finished the first leg of my 2000 km motorbike journey in Thailand. I took a few detours along the way to Kanchanaburi. Prices of fuel seemed comparible to home in Canada. 91 octane rating is 30 to 32 baht/ litre, and 95 is 34 to 36 baht/litre. 28 baht/Canadian dollar. I'm not sure if it was my imagination or not, but fuel from some stations seemed to have more zip than other stations, even though the octane rating was the same.

No problem on the ride and not too many crazies this time. The little Kawa 250 D-Tracker cruised along between 105 and 130 km/hour, but seemed to like it between 105 and 115 km/hr. I only got passed by those cars and trucks wanting to maintain a 120 to 140 km/hr speed. Otherwise, I passed everyone else.

Riding down through pancake flat central Thailand gives you a good perspective of the topography. I can certainly see why (historically) Burma always attacked the Thais. The farm land is supurb for growing rice and corn.

Although there seems to be a steady stream of tourists visiting Kanchanaburi from Bangkok, the bars in the one strip where bars are located, seem devoid of customers. Just a few tired girls trying to wave the one or two tourists in for a drink. The contrast between the bar scene in Kanchanaburi and the one in Pattaya is very noticeable.

I didn't find a bar scene in Phitsanulok where I spent last night, but I'm sure there must be one somewhere. I had a friend with me so I didn't search too hard.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Say g'day to Cracker....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to find it, Daz.

On another note, my ride got a little more interesting today... on the easy section from Kanchanaburi to the small village of Lu Kae, 41 km away. I could have used knee pads and proper riding boots today when an arse hole pickup clipped me when cutting me off. Shorts and sandals don't cut it when sliding down the pavement. Could have been much worse though. It happened when slowing down for a light and the pickup wanted to run the red light.

Like always, I can always see the bright side of things. I didn't get run over, my bike wasn't damaged too much, my helmet saved my head, AND there were two first aid attendents at the coffee shop right where it happened. They picked the bike off me, cleaned and bandaged my bleeding knee and ankle, and I was off and running again a little worse for wear.

I visited my thai family foe a few hours and rode back to Kanchanaburi about 8PM. I'm glad the accident didn't happen in the dark.

I just stopped by the bar where I met a pretty lass last night. She said she wants to go home and take care of me.
    TLandHim likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    ^^Take care your knee and ankle, na? 5555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I visited my thai family foe a few hours and rode back to Kanchanaburi about 8PM. I'm glad the accident didn't happen in the dark.
    I hope that was a spelling mistake Ian 5555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Glad to hear your Ok Ian..............I hope the camera is still working
    Gazmac and jontymate like this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I hope that was a spelling mistake Ian 5555
    Good catch, Pete. Probably a little bit of both. The mother of the kids I love would drive a saint to tears. Her married sisters are very nice and so are her brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Glad to hear your Ok Ian..............I hope the camera is still working
    Cameras came through unscathed, but can't say the same for the bag I was carrying them in. Busted my good $3 watch, Though, and I just replaced the battery and strap. Can't post photos until I get back to Chiang Mai early next week.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    You are right about the "Zip" of the gasoline.
    There is a noticeable difference for the same octane rating between Kathu and Patongs only servo - diluted for sure with less "oomph" on hills and shorter distance per tankful in the Vios.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    You are right about the "Zip" of the gasoline.
    There is a noticeable difference for the same octane rating between Kathu and Patongs only servo - diluted for sure with less "oomph" on hills and shorter distance per tankful in the Vios.
    I kept track of every distance and amount of fill up on what was basically a flat, level highway. I wrote everything down on a notepad. I did push the speed a little and I'm less aerodynamic if I sit upright, but it should balance out a bit. There was noticeable differences in performance.

I don't think the 2010 D-Tracker gets good mileage, and it does have a small fuel tank... only 1.9 gallons. I'm not sure if that is American or Imperial gallon, but probably American considering the cruising distance I get. Doesn't matter too much because after an hour's riding I'm happy to stop for fuel. Keep that up for 5 hours or more and I'm looking forward to the breaks.

I just got back to Chiang Mai after a LOOOOONG day's riding... 800 km in 10 hours. I left Kanchanaburi at 9 AM and got back to my hotel at 7 PM. I was moving pretty fast... 100 to 130 km/hr because most of the highway is divided, and straight and flat. I only stopped for fuel and drinks. My butt is sore and my neck, arms and legs are tired. I was going to stop at Tak, the half way point, but it was still early and not much to see in Tak, so I kept going. When I got to Lampang it was 5PM and an hour before dark, but I only had another 100 km to go to get home. So, despite being tired I cranked it up and zipped through the mountains before it got dark. By that time I only had 50 km to go, and with all the traffic and other vehicles lights, I had no problems in the dark.

The Thais take their monks seriously and there was a huge parade of them last Saturday in Kanchanaburi, right after the King's birthday on Friday. I don't know if there was any connection or not.

Thai ladies lined the street for blocks and tossed flower petals for the monks to walk on.

I did my usual walking tour along the river and then took my Thai family to the Sai Yok waterfalls.

Usually there is more water at the falls at this time of year, but it looks like we are in for a drought this winter.

We hiked about a kilometre up to a cave and where the water spring comes out of the rocks in the mountain.

It wasn't too bad on my gimpy leg, but lazier folks took a ride for a small fee...

That's a decent ride in one hit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    That's a decent ride in one hit!!!

Too far, Daz, and especially in Thai traffic where you can NEVER relax, and not the best of highways. I hate the lumpy sections where all the heavy trucks go. But, my body is paying for it today.

But, it is like a lot of things I do. I tend to push my limits a little. Once I got within striking range of home I said to myself... "Why not?"

10 hrs is about my limit in my Pajero!!! Let alone doing it on a bike !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    10 hrs is about my limit in my Pajero!!! Let alone doing it on a bike !!

Yah, but I'm a tough old coot too dumb to take it easy. 555

But, I decided NOT to see my lady friend in Phitsanulok on the way back as I had originally intended. It is another 200 km out of the most direct route. My leg was too wonky to do much site seeing anyway and the antibiotics do affect my body chemistry.

I stayed at the Amarin Nakorn hotel in downtown Phitsanulok and it was reasonably located and not too pricey... 680 baht a night. Rooms aren't fancy but adequate.

It's very close to the railway station and there is a food market nearby.

And, I enjoyed the walking path along the Nan River

Last edited by Ian Forbes; 9th December 2014 at 00:34.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    We saw what must have been close to 1k monks walking along the side of the road today.... Way from anywhere (unless you live there of course)
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS