Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zablive

Thread: What is the attraction?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

What is the attraction?

On my recent trip to Kanchanaburi my Thai kids heard there was something special happening at the bridge over the River Kwai, a well known tourist trap. Fong and Kong wanted to go so I rented a songtow to take us the 4 km from our guest cottage to the bridge.
    Indeed there was something happening because the traffic was blocked in all directions and thousands of people were milling around. We had to pay 40 baht each to enter an area that is usually free.
    From the main road down to the bridge it is about 500 meters, and it was jamb packed with people inching along like penguins in a file. On both sides of us marching penguins were booths selling the same stuff that all the stores in town were selling, only this time it was all outside under tents. I didn't see one thing that I couldn't buy in an appropriate store... but without being stuffed into a hot, sweaty area amongst masses of people. There were all sorts of food items to purchase, but if I want to eat I'll go to a restaurant and sit down. There was little or not entertainment that I could see, so I just squeezed my way through the people and started walking home. My kids and their mother followed.
    For the life of me I can not think of one reason for the event. What is the attraction for Thais? I've seen something similar all over Thailand and it seems to be popular with the locals.

Why would you haul a bunch of furniture out to an open air market?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    From what I've read the sound and light show is the highlight of the festival.

Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Thanks Mr Smiley.
    We tend to overlook that over 90,000 Asian conscripted labourers died on the Railway of Death.
    Hatari likes this.

Thanks for the post, Mr Smiley. I know all about the history of that area.

I've been to the bridge at least 20 times or more over the past 13 years I've been visiting Kanchanaburi. I guess what ever show was on that night was already over by the time we got there at 7:30 PM. We heard and saw the fireworks later from a distace.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Thanks Mr Smiley.
    We tend to overlook that over 90,000 Asian conscripted labourers died on the Railway of Death.
    I was about 35% through 'The narrow road to the deep north' by Richard Flanagan when I accidently through my kindle out with the garbage..(took 2 days to realise. so too late to retreive ).

anyway it deals partly with the death railway and there is some amazing descriptions of that horror..

The book won the 2014 Booker Mann prize and I found it to be beautifully written..
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Review: One-Fourteenth of an Elephant by Ian Denys Peek | Books | The Guardian
    Highly recommended reading. As a Singaporean volunteer he gives a different view of things compared to the Commonwealth troops.
    Life is the unexpected ...

I believe not just the bridge was built by the pow and slave labour but also all the embankments and gully bridging stone structures. It must have been horrendous conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by diveshallow View Post
    I believe not just the bridge was built by the pow and slave labour but also all the embankments and gully bridging stone structures. It must have been horrendous conditions.
    The railway was built through an area of limestone where there are many caves... offering protection from bombers.

It is just a tourist site now.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I guess that with only a handful of Canadian P.O.W.s it is not a significant part of your history Forbes.

It is not just a tourist site for the families of the 6800 British and 2700 Aussie P.O.W.s who died on "The Railway of Death" and the many more who returned home broken and traumatised men.
    Let alone the families of the 90,000 Asian labourers who died there.

Hellfire Pass sure ain't limestone ...

One of the ongoing monuments to "Man's inhumanity to Man".

R.I.P. Uncle Bill.
    Last edited by Zablive; 28th December 2014 at 19:34.

No disrespect, Zab, but it has been turned into a tourist trap now. The tour busses arrive by the hundreds every day from Bangkok. The Chinese tourists jump out, get their photos taken next to the various shrines and then get back on the bus. I know all about its history. I've spent many months in that area for the past 15 years.

No questioning "Man's inhumanity to Man". How so many actually survived the brutality of the Japanese is what astounds me.