Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Xmas in Thailand

Cadet Bronze

Xmas in Thailand

IS Xmas celebrated in Thailand as it is in western coyntries,or is it just another day /time of the year???

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    Santa's little helpers are out in force....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    There is a sizable Catholic congregation, so I am sure that it is celebrated in many homes.. And for the rest, just a time to dress up...
    Hatari likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    any excuse for a party

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    You would likely only notice Xmas in the tourist centres because they accommodate all the tourists that want it. Having said that, Most TG will quickl latch onto the idea of a kindly fat old Farang with a white beard and a red suit that goes around giving everyone presents .... But only if they've been very very good.....ho!ho!ho!
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Little cultural significance to most Buddhist homes. The commercial adverting machine is out there though bepp. Getting bigger here in China as well as a "Consumption tool"

Melly Chlistmas 55
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Well my beard is white, I do need to lose the odd kilo or three and I do quite like the ho'ho' hoes... So I guess I just need a red suit then...
    Changone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Little cultural significance to most Buddhist homes. The commercial adverting machine is out there though bepp. Getting bigger here in China as well as a "Consumption tool"

Melly Chlistmas 55
    Lets be honest, most in the West who celebrate Christmas have not been close to the inside of a church for years either.....
    jontymate, OZZYGUY and TMTBOUND like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Ratchadamri area/intersection in BKK is very festive

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    NIL cultural significance to Buddhist homes. The commercial adverting machine is out there though bepp. Getting bigger here in China as well as a "Consumption tool"

Melly Chlistmas 55
    Fixed ya post :-)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Just another way trying to make a few extra baht in tourist areas.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I like Xmas here way better than my own country....

there is no pushing the shopping cr@p on TV, no bible bashing, no xmas carols, no office parties, no manger (WTF is a manger anyway 555) no aunties who smell of booze trying to kiss you (hang on a bit 555) no planning and no guilt trips

we usually host a Xmas dinner up on the beach at our favourite restaurant and invite a few Thai friends + any waifs and strays who happen to be in town at the time....after that hit the bars + clubs....works fine for me
    krukke likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star TMTBOUND's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Lets be honest, most in the West who celebrate Christmas have not been close to the inside of a church for years either.....
    True true..........

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I like Xmas here way better than my own country....

there is no pushing the shopping cr@p on TV, no bible bashing, no xmas carols, no office parties, no manger (WTF is a manger anyway 555) no aunties who smell of booze trying to kiss you (hang on a bit 555) no planning and no guilt trips

we usually host a Xmas dinner up on the beach at our favourite restaurant and invite a few Thai friends + any waifs and strays who happen to be in town at the time....after that hit the bars + clubs....works fine for me
    OHhh You are SOoo So Cruel.

Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope it is a safe and happy time for you and anyone you care about.

I agee with you Barcwan, Christmas used to be nothing but stress and end in fights.

Except for 2 years ago when I went to my sister in Syd, I have had it on my own for 9 yrs. This year both my sisters wanted to pay to fly me to Bris. for my birthday with one sister and family and then onto Syd for Christmas with my other sister and family, only 67 coming to her place for Christmas day, lunch and dinner. I asked her where are they going to park? her street is narrow and steep, Oh it will work out several will come by boat. 55555

I declined, I don't feel like going thru all the getting to the airport, the parking, then the same at the other end, both sisters have busy jobs and at this time of year it is frantic. My sister in Bris called me on Thurs it was 8,45pm and she was on the way home from the office, earliest night of the week, had been after 10.30pm most nights, starting at 7,30am.

I'll be happy enough to stay here, get out of bed when I feel like it, have a few drinks, cook some food and relax. Just trying to work out who is who in my Syd sisters family is embarrassing and gives me a headache. I am the oldest by a fair bit and all of them know me from when they were kids still at school and I was my sisters older cool brother, now I don't remember their names and they don't look anything like I remember them.
    TLandHim and Cuzzy like this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

I love Christmas x's 100.....the more the better.
    The parties, the presents, the Xmas songs, Xmas Eve is incredible, Xmas day is awesome

JC......I have flown on both Xmas Eve and Xmas night......everyone was happy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Well I spotted one household that doesn't celebrate Christmas the other day.

Walking thru Newtown in Sydney last week a few of the Terrace Houses had xmas decorations up one had in the middle of his tinsel and stuff was big Neon sign "Bah Humbug"
    P!ssed myself Laughing. Would have loved to see it lit up at night.
    TLandHim likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    To me Xmas is about family and spending the whole day eating and drinking with them and feeling merry
    Never get much of a Xmas feel here in LOS.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    To me Xmas is about family and spending the whole day eating and drinking with them and feeling merry
    Never get much of a Xmas feel here in LOS.
    I've been in Thailand 2 times for Xmas......was frigging miserable

from pictorial feature today's Bangkok Post

more photos at:
    Christmas in Bangkok
    Shopping malls and popular destinations in Thailand's capital are lighted with Christmas decorations for people to watch and take pictures.

and thread Merry Christmas To All Of You
    Last edited by Hatari; 13th December 2014 at 13:39.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I've been in Thailand 2 times for Xmas......was frigging miserable
    555....what were you expecting...its a buddhist country...this is the equivalent of a Thai saying "I've been in Canada for Songkran and it was frigging miserable"....555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast