Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 10 years on

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

10 years on

Remembering all the victims and casualties from the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004

Platinum
    The shock, the fear and confusion of the survivors as they streamed up Patong Hill.
    The "what the ,,,,,, has happened"? feeling
    The knowing that a lot of people had got caught and must have died
    Then trying to work out where the people you knew would have been, the waiters, the beach chair guys ......

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Theres lots of Thais who dont want to remember ... yet another marker of how different their culture is from the Wests...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    They have been running a few shows here on both the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004 now 10 years on, and Darwin Cyclone Tracy now 40 yrs on.

I didn't realize Aust. sent a load of forensic experts into Phuket,to identify all the bodies. we were the leaders in the world at the time and after the Bali bombing
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

I got a boat out to the Similans about March 2005 , so 3 months after the Tsunami.
    The lady sitting next to me was a 36 year old Dane .
    She was a forensic Dr sent to identify remains as part of the relief effort having her first real break in 10 weeks.
    After she asked where I was eating so we met up for dinner , but she was quite messed up.... she realised this as she apologised a couple of times.
    She had only 2 days before identified the remains of a German baby her own daughters age ( 15 months and staying with her ex-husband in Copenhagan) and she said that had affected her more than she'd thought it would , plus she missed her baby.
    Poor thing really tried to make a night of it , but she was mixed up and I was thinking the whole time , "Who needs a messed up farang lady , albeit a tidy looking one , when there are plenty of happy alternatives all around should I ever decide I need one?"

She was also very miffed when she learnt I had paid 1500 for the Similan trip , and her hospital had organised her day trip , and hit her , a volunteer , up for 2300 baht .... a real TiT moment ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    The shock, the fear and confusion of the survivors as they streamed up Patong Hill.
    The "what the ,,,,,, has happened"? feeling
    The knowing that a lot of people had got caught and must have died
    Then trying to work out where the people you knew would have been, the waiters, the beach chair guys ......
    A lot of people won't admit it because they don't want to sound stupid
    But I was on Patong Hill that day and no one knew what they Hell a tsunami was.....myself included
    justcruzing1 and TLandHim like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But I was on Patong Hill that day and no one knew what they Hell a tsunami was.....myself included
    God that must have been horrific!!

I know we get lots of vids and news coverage but to actually be there is so so different.

I always knew what a tsunami was, from surfing folk law, that's how surfing started. I always had dreams of taking off on one, way out to sea but never really thought or realized, what happens when it hits land, all the power and destruction it has, those films showing it back in 2004 had me sitting with my mouth open, trying to gather my feelings of what had happened, and trying to imagine what people were feeling that were there in the guts of it all.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    The only godsend was the time it struck, could've been far worse they reckon !!

Yep , 1am on Christmas Eve ( well Xmas morning really ) would have been mayhem.
    Any night time would have been bad...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Theres lots of Thais who dont want to remember ... yet another marker of how different their culture is from the Wests...
    ^Sometimes we seem obsessed with recalling and remembering disasters and gruesome events.
    For the people that lived through them though, it would keep bringing back a nightmare of loss and pain as if it were yesterday. While we are bent on remembering, they will spend the rest of their lives trying to forget.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Platinum
    Marc
    you weren't alone, my wife called out "something's happening I think it may be a burst watermain"
    We were on our second floor room in Sawatdirak Rd and looking down on it and it was obvious it was something major but didn't seem that bad.
    Grabbed the camera and waded down the street with many others and were photographing and about 40 mins later heard the screams from the beach as the second wave came into view.
    Even the next day we just thought it was something local as we had no access to any English news and as we weren't hurt we went back to Patong for the night and slept in our hotel with no power, air con etc.
    Two days before we realised the gravity of the situation outside Patong.
    Inside Patong, along the Beach Road and side roads was just heart breaking to walk amongst. My wife took many of our photo's as I was too upset.

My gf was at that time staying opposite the temple at the bottom of the hill before you go over to Kathu.
    She awoke to her friend pounding on the door and yelling , "This is not a joke!"
    She was a bit miffed she was awoken and said she opened the door and said , "What can it be that I have to get dressed and go with you now? What?"
    He friend goes , "I dont understand , a big water come and everybody say we must go the mountain!"
    She said she says , "Big water? Come from where?"
    Friend , "I dont understand , maybe come from the mountain! Get ready NOW!"
    GF : "Big water come down the mountain, and now we have to go the MOUNTAIN huh?"

We went out for Xmas dinner at Silk in Surin, Robert from PI was managing it back then.
    Back then, I remember turkeys were hard to come by and he worked the phones to get 2 turkeys
    We had a nice buffet and then went to MTB
    My wife, who was my gf at the time and I got hammered drunk so slept in.

I had a MB accident a few days before so was going to Phuket International to get my cuts cleaned and planned on going when I woke up.

Ao lived past the fire station in Patong
    That morning we heard a lot of commotion but we just both figured it was a Thai couple fighting. Happened a lot around those flats where Ao's room was.
    So we woke up, took showers and I was getting ready to head to hospital, still not having and idea what was going on.
    But when we got outside there was chaos and everyone moving in one direction, a lot of helicopters...... so we knew something was going on.
    Ao had like 20 missed calls. She got on the phone and was telling me "bad wind"

We hopped on the MB and followed the crowd moving towards Patong Hill and it was frustrating because she refused to ask any police we came upon.

Finally got up to Patong Hill and people started mentioning a tsunami. Now this is where our lack of knowledge and naivete comes in. The crowds were worried the water would come all the way to Patong Hill.
    We drove inland and went to some other mountain with tons of people there.

Eventually we drove and stopped at the Expat Bar on the road to the mall. We were able to sit down and have a drink and watch it all unfold on the tv. Then it got very real because by that time people were pulling up bloodied from the beach, looking for care.

We were blocked from going back to Patong so slept a bit with everyone else on the side of Patong Hill.

Because I had been in 9/11 I had a feeling we'd lose cell phone reception and we did. But I luckily called my family to let them know I was ok before the phones went down.

Later on in the night, Ao and I drive back to Patong and actually drove down to Beach Rd
    That was surreal. No one was there......it was dead silent. Cars on 2nd floors.
    Neither of us grasped the body count around us. I know for sure we were basically standing outside that Oceans grocery store that about 60 people died in.

The next day was chaos. All the tourists trying to leave. All you saw was people standing on the street with their suit cases. The Thai guy that lived next to Ao made a killing with his taxi that day. Probably 12-15k baht and just as much the next day.

I actually was short on funds. I had left work for good only 3 weeks before and was waiting on my severance payment to hit.my account. I didn't bother getting money from my other account because I figured the severance would hit on the 26th but my transfer didn't hit until Dec 31.

We stuck around until Jan 2 then headed to the village

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Amazing stories. I know the old Ocean supermarket, downstairs, on the beach road.
    Anyone caught in there wouldn't have stood a chance.
    Mrs C was on holidays, staying near the beach with work friends until 25th December.
    The wave hit the next day and Patong was never the same again. If she had stated the extra day we might never have even met.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Platinum
    These are Beach Rd Marc
    The silence was eerie the next day
    DSC03266.jpg

DSC03259.jpg

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I was booked to stay at a hotel right on the beach at the south end of Patong that Xmas...but my dear old mum pleaded with me to stay home and have Xmas with her and the family "just this once" saying it might be our last together as a family (she was diagnosed with acute Alzheimers during that year)

anyway I had Xmas lunch at home with the family and flew up to BKK later that evening...I was due to fly down to HKT at midday on Boxing Day...needless to say my plans changed once I realised what had just happened...I went to Cambodia, Vietnam and the PI...but i will always be thankful that I paid attention to my mother for a change as that hotel was completely decimated and many guests died in the building that day

What was so surreal is it didn't go too far off the beach rd so you could be by Taipan everything looked fine.....so hard to sort of grasp the magnitude

See baccy ...always listen to ya Mum !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    What was so surreal is it didn't go too far off the beach rd so you could be by Taipan everything looked fine.....so hard to sort of grasp the magnitude
    Funny thing was, when I was over after the Tsunami , in March , there was another earthquake in the ocean one night , CNN said it was a lot smaller than the last and wouldn’t create another wave ..but panic spread throughout Bangla , all the bars shut quickly and everyone fled … as far as TaiPan , because that’s where it had finished the previous time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast