Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Holiday Road Toll

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar

Holiday Road Toll

Was reading some online news from LOS and found this.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...d-1158-injured

New Year death toll rises to 190 on third 'dangerous' day - The Nation

Quite staggering even considering there would be quite a number not reported. Au tells me last night that 5 locals have died in vehicle accidents in Ban Pao over the last two days.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    not a good time to be on the roads here.

the sheer volume of people moving around is staggering....and many may be once a year open road drivers going somewhere for the holiday period. certainly some very bad ones among them.
    i did a long drive about this time last year and there was a constant stream of cars for hundreds of kilometres!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post
    Was reading some online news from LOS and found this.

NY road toll: 128 killed, 1,158 injured | Bangkok Post: news

New Year death toll rises to 190 on third 'dangerous' day - The Nation

Quite staggering even considering there would be quite a number not reported. Au tells me last night that 5 locals have died in vehicle accidents in Ban Pao over the last two days.
    You must be new around here….. Every day on Thai roads is a dangerous day; folks who have been around a while cease to be staggered. Some even become more careful.

A little reported "success" of the Thaksin years was a reduction in the number of road fatalities. As I recall, they changed the method of counting. Only those dead on arrival at a public hospital were included in the road toll. Any road accident victim who turned up with a pulse was admitted. If they died subsequently the death was no longer a regarded as a road kill.

Most accidents involved motorcycles (85 per cent), and most took place on straight stretches of road (64 per cent). About one-quarter occurred between midnight to 4am.
    Slightly over half of the victims were of working age.

so if they were of working age, are riding a bike early hours on a straight stretch of road they are most at risk??

certainly backs up my theory of staying off the roads after dark.
    Changone likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Interestingly back here, Qld and NSW both had the lowest annual road tolls for over a decade.

Considering the number of cars on the road would have increased in that time it is an extra good result. Mind you it could have been because no one can afford to drive anywhere nowdays 555555
    Cuzzy likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Interestingly back here, Qld and NSW both had the lowest annual road tolls for over a decade.

Considering the number of cars on the road would have increased in that time it is an extra good result. Mind you it could have been because no one can afford to drive anywhere nowdays 555555
    Same here, only 2 in WA. That's pretty amazing.

Fuel prices have been lowest here in years though. One place was selling for $1.1 a liter last week.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^ Yea Bacon the figures I am talking about were for the full year, they were good for Christmas but that period doesn't finish till Monday, i think.

Petrol has come down alright but there is still price gouging here. I have been paying $1.38 pl it was up at $1.46 till a couple of weeks ago. It is crazy, up in Townsville average is $1.42 but drive south 100klm to Ayr, a little township on the highway and it's $1.28 and their fuel comes out of Townsville!!!
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Oh you said annual. Yeah that'd be oil prices. 55

Way fewer d*ckheads with V8s on the road too, which has been a plus. Except the cashed up tradie bogans and their utes. We still have a lot of them in WA.
    Cuzzy likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    On my trip up to Meisai and back I saw 4 recently crunched vehicles... 2 vans and 2 pickup trucks. All separate vehicles.

Stop showing off about how cheap your gas is... compare it to UK prices and you get it almost half price... 55

On another note UK roads are probably the safest in the world. Everyone is so damned polite...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

From The Nation today. I do wonder about their cartoons at times . . .

341 killed over 'dangerous' New Year, slightly less than last year

PRIME MINISTER GENERAL Prayut Chan-o-cha's administration isn't satisfied with the New Year road toll being slightly less than last year because every life is important. So all agencies must perform their duties to the fullest, deputy government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

During yesterday's Cabinet meeting, Prayut instructed related agencies to gather more detailed information over the coming month on accident statistics than what they presented to the media to determine solutions to better reduce road casualties during the Songkran Festival in April, he said.

These comments were made after the Road Safety Centre said yesterday that 341 people were killed and 3,117 injured in 2,997 accidents over the New Year holidays.

This was slightly down from last year's tally of 367 killed and 3,344 others injured in 3,174 accident

Major contributing factors to road crashes over the week were drunk driving at 37 per cent, while 82 per cent of accidents involved motorcycles.

Mick likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    This Forrest Gump says a politician that will take this topic to the people with a solution will be ?????
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    From The Nation today.
    Major contributing factors to road crashes over the week were drunk driving at 37 per cent, while 82 per cent of accidents involved motorcycles.
    Not surprising that 82% of accidents involve motorcycles, given that they out number cars on Thai roads by about three to one. The ratio is probably coming down but still motorcycle sales out numbered car sales in 2014, with about 1.8 million new motorcycles registered, and less than new 900,000 cars (both figures well down on 2013).

Drunk in charge is common place; I'm surprised the level of accidents where alcohol is a factor isn't higher (if the truth was known, it probably is).

Properly fastened helmets do nothing to prevent accidents, but they can reduce the consequences. Fractures and abrasions heal, given time, but it doesn't take much of a knock on the head to be fatal.

At least four acquaintances in Thailand have killed in motorcycle accidents. All had been drinking, quite a bit, and none were wearing a helmet.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Two lovely young Thai women I used to know were both killed in slow speed accidents while on scooters. Neither were wearing helmets at the time.
    Also, I've heard that people who do not die immediately at the scene of the accident are not included in the fatality list. That could almost double the number. Head trauma often takes a couple of days to finish the job... as was the case with the women I knew.

^ the stats for the year 2012 were very close to half, or double, depending which side you are on, convenient for the Police to only count 'dead at the scene' whereas it's 26000 a year according to World Health Org stats (2012), average 500 a week; on that basis, this NY toll of 341 more likely closer to 700 when a final tally is done from the hospitals whose figures are recorded by WHO

^ NY toll less than the weekly average? safer to be on the roads then 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Here's ours in good old NZ. We are only around 4 mill population.

Christmas/New Year holiday period road toll 2014/15

The official holiday period began at 4pm on Wednesday 24 December 2014 and ended at 6am on Monday 5 January 2015.

During the 2014/2015 Christmas holiday period there were 15 fatal crashes resulting in 17 deaths.

The deaths included:

7 drivers
    7 passengers
    3 motorcycle riders
    12 of the fatal crashes occurred on the open road.

Provisional crash reports indicate that alcohol and/or speed contributed to 11 of the 15 fatal crashes. Driver fatigue is suspected for 2 of the fatal crashes.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

^ it was not exactly 'good' - the stat below, per-capita roughly 3x as likely to die on a NZ road as an Australian one.
    Why?

The 2014-15 Xmas road toll of 17 was double that of the previous two years. 2013-14 - 7; 2012-12 - 6.

New Zealand's 'staggering' road toll
    Tuesday Jan 6, 2015
    Deaths on New Zealand roads made up a "staggering" 41.7 per cent of all fatalities across Australasia over the holiday season, despite New Zealand making up only 15.2 per cent of the combined trans-tasman population.
    Holiday road toll figures released by the Australia New Zealand Policing Advisory Agency (ANZPAA) yesterday put New Zealand's holiday toll at 20 - three higher than the official toll here - compared with Australia's toll of 28.
    The discrepancy in the New Zealand toll was because the agency tracked deaths over a 12-day period from the beginning of December 23 until the end of January 3, while New Zealand officials counted fatalities between 4pm on Christmas Eve and 6am yesterday.
    The Automobile Association's Dylan Thomsen described the agency's figures as "quite staggering".
    "Considering Australia's population is so much larger than ours, that's quite a surprising figure," he said.

NZ's annual road fatalities total for 2014 was 297 - a 17% increase of 44 on the 2013 total (253), this in spite of recent 'zero tolerance' for speeding offences as well as a lowered drink-drive limit from 1 December
    and the contributing factors . . . the usual suspects drugs, alcohol, no seatbelts.
    Deaths up 17% - as headline says. 'staggering'

Provisional data for last year has indicated that drugs and alcohol contributed to about 25 per cent of fatal and 21 per cent of serious injury crashes.
    Associate Transport Minister Craig Foss said the data also shows about 21 per cent of drivers and 33 per cent of passengers killed in car crashes in 2014 were not wearing seatbelts or using an appropriate child restraint.

Last edited by Hatari; 8th January 2015 at 09:05.

^I must admit I feel much more nervous driving in NZ than I ever do in Europe... apart from Italy... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Riding a bike in Thailand keeps me ALIVE! No chance of going in a trance. All senses are on high alert continuously. It's a real live video game for keeps. There is no time for site seeing, except in a general way. It does help to plan a route prior to going anywhere so you don't have to make and sudden decisions and take your mind off the traffic around you. I don't enjoy following anyone, or have anyone follow me because it takes away a bit of your concentration of things to watch out for.
    Mick and Cuzzy like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast