Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Law prohibiting marriage to foreigners over the age of 50 proposed to Thai Cabinet

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

Law prohibiting marriage to foreigners over the age of 50 proposed to Thai Cabinet

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Interior are bringing a new proposal before the Cabinet prohibiting foreigners over the age of 50 from marrying Thai nationals.

According to a Ministry spokesperson, statistics show that many older foreigners are marrying much younger Thai women, which is not appropriate and often leads to many problems.

"Many older foreigners seem to marry Thai women so they can stay in Thailand under less strict requirements. Instead of needing to meet the requirements of 800,000 baht in the bank they only have to show 400,000 baht a year when married to a Thai. Additionally, many of these people seem to come to Thailand simply to marry much younger girls. In many cases they are old enough to be their father. I am concerned that these people are attempting to circumvent the rules by marrying innocent Thai women. If these people don't have enough money to retire then they shouldn't be here and become a burden to Thailand," Tawatchai Suksoom of the Ministry of Interior stated.

He added that the measure is not discriminatory as it will apply to both men and women, but admitted that the proposal would mainly affect Thai women and foreign men.

Thai nationals cannot be prohibited from marrying older foreigners abroad, however Thai embassies will warn them of the possibility that Thailand will not recognize the marriage if they return to Thailand, he noted.

It is expected that the new law will be brought before the Cabinet for approval at the beginning of next month where it will then be proposed to Parliament. The law will not apply retroactively but only to marriages that take place after the new law comes into effect. Tawatchai advised Thais living overseas to provide proof to their Embassies that they were married before the law came into effect so as to avoid any potential problems.

The new law is in line with similar laws in Cambodia and Laos as part of the upcoming ASEAN integration in 2015 and is expected to pass Parliament with ease and should take effect on May 1st, 2011.

.......hmmmm what do you guys think??

Just been discussing it with Jo.... doesn't bother her if we can't make our 'union' official. What's to stop a ceremonial marriage, that which is most recognised within the culture?
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I think anyone should be able to marry whoever they want, Should not be up to someone else on who they can and cannot Marry. I also feel the same way with Gay and Lesbian Marriages, They love eachother, so let them get married. If things not not go to plan, well that life and they will learn (hopefully) for their mistakes.

Its just about money more than anything as far as i can read.
    So if a relationship is a mistake it is ultimately the couples choice no government has the right to infringe like this IMHO
    With you G4 any couple of what ever make and model have the right to celebrate there love and stand up and have their union recognized.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    april fools
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    "Honeeeeeee... they've changed the law in Thailand so that we're not married anymore..........."
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Is this a wind up then i thought was quite serious as i know Lao has done it???

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Think so, better be 555

type this is in Google - Law prohibiting marriage to foreigners over the age of 50 proposed to Thai Cabinet
    and its up all over the place and goto the last page of evry thread on every forum 555

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Is this a wind up then i thought was quite serious as i know Lao has done it???
    And I thought you were taking the piss from the outset 555

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    april fools
    First thing I thought... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    BGGuER !! I thought I was given a great escpe excuse. "Sorry Darling, I marry you but Government say No, not allowed, I'm too old"