Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is there a reason why Thais pick fruit long before it is ripe?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Is there a reason why Thais pick fruit long before it is ripe?

I just came back from a lovely ride to Somoeng and beyond... to the prime strawberry growing area near Chiang Mai. I hoped that if I went to where the strawberries were grown that I could find a few to my liking. But, after I walked through the fields of strawberry plants for 20 minutes I could not find ONE ripe strawberry of any size. And yet, when I went to the stands where they sell the strawberries, the baskets were full of white strawberries, or berries with just a faint coating of red. I am unaware of any strawberry sub-species that is white when it is ripe, so why do Thais pick their entire fruit crop long before even a portion of it is ripe?

They do the same with mangos, and it is difficult to find a sweet, ripe mango. And yet, the market is full of hard, green mangos.

The price for a small basket of tart, dry strawberries is the same in Chiang Mai's Worowat market as it is 50 kilometers away near the fields where they are grown... 80 baht for a basket 16 cm x 12 cm x 5 cm

I was disappointed with the strawberries, but the ride was great. There was minimal traffic and the yellow blossom trees were in full bloom.

Because it's a little bitter, and that's the way they prefer it.

Sure, they like sweet ripe mangos with sticky rice, but more often they like crunchy green mango with a spicy, slightly salty and sweet dip.

A few papaya make it to be pink and sweet (and then it is best with a bit of lime juice squeezed over it) but most are used free in som tum. Interestingly, it is not native. It was introduced from Central America.

However there are fruits that Thai people prefer fully ripe…. durian, mangosteen, rambutan, and many others.
    Minder and Zablive like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    When I was up in MonCham last week with Lou , we bought some fully ripe berries , 100 baht for a big bag , but not every stall along the route had them

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Because they know that you are on the way 5555

There are some fruits that I prefer slightly green and sower.......

I understand that, Mick, and certainly for mangos and papaya where some popular recipes need a tart fruit, but I can't understand why they can't leave a portion of the crop to ripen. And, to my knowledge there aren't any recipes for unripe strawberries.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    When I was up in MonCham last week with Lou , we bought some fully ripe berries , 100 baht for a big bag , but not every stall along the route had them
    yeah,couldn't see any,or very few on the samoeng road,but loads up on the very busy moncham road.

give it time and the stalls on the samoeng road will be all open and doing a brisk trade.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    All over the world fruits are picked unripe!
    For the simple reason that really ripe fruits can not be transported without a very significant loss..

I never tasted a ripe banana before I went to the tropics, and where I don't like banana's here, I love the really ripe ones..

As a kid, I used to pick strawberries for next to nothing in the summer, and we were told we cold eat the really ripe ones... The simply would not survive the ride to the market..

Apples all around here, but if I want apples, we go after the pick and can pick our own.. The remains, so to speak, but the best tasting apples..!
    Mick likes this.

I understand that fruit needs to be transported at the ideal time, and just before they fully ripen. I also know what fruits ripen a bit after picking. Rain and freezing weather will also affect crops. Last summer in BC, Canada we had a late summer rain that ruined much of the strawberry crop and most of the blackberry crop due to mildew. However, that does not excuse picking crops FAR before they ripen. I'm talking pure white strawberries that need another week of sun before they start to turn red. If you pick the entire crop before it is ready then you don't have ANY that will ripen properly.

Each fruit is unique, and even varieties of the same fruit are unique. In Canada we have an apple called a transparent that is the first of all apples to ripen... BUT, IT NEEDS TO BE PICKED AT LEAST TWO WEEKS before ripening, otherwise it turns soft and woody. it does not store well at all and is really only good for making apple sauce.

I love fruit of all kinds and eat a lot of it. Because I can usually wait for the few places that have ripe mangos I don't mind too much. Ripe Thai mangos taste fabulous and so much better than the Mexican ones that are always imported into Canada green. Even if I wait two weeks I can't get a Mexican mango that tastes anything but sour. However, I do remember visiting Mexico and picking ripe mangos off a tree. They were wonderful.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I was watching a DOC and they said bitter is a big taste preference in CM
    As Mick alluded to

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I was watching a DOC and they said bitter is a big taste preference in CM
    As Mick alluded to
    I believe you are right. So is rotten flesh diguised with hot peppers.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I believe you are right. So is rotten flesh diguised with hot peppers.
    At your age, you should be glad they like rotten flesh... 555
    Quarky, Zablive and Mick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    At your age, you should be glad they like rotten flesh... 555
    As George Jones sang...

I don't need no rocking chair,
    No Geritol or medicare
    I still got neon in my veins
    This grey hair don't mean a thing
    I do my rocking on the stage
    Can't put this possum in a cage.
    I'm a little older but I'm not impaired
    I don't need no rocking chair
    Quarky and RakThai like this.

These strawberries are not even close to being ripe...

I do have to give credit to the farmer's efforts and ingenuity for growing them on a steep hillside, though.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ i wouldn't buying them if they looked like that. we sampled some before we bought them.

the mae sa variety are very sweet and thais consider them a delicacy.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

I had this vision of vast amounts for fresh and ripe fruit available in Thailand...maybe not

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Fresh fruit all around us here - every second house has a table full out front in season.
    Sounds like Forbes should have been there last week 555!
    Lew and his mates beat him to the ripe ones.

I've seen some of the "fruits" down your way, Zab. They wander around the bars every night. 555

^^^
    So did you pluk one when it was ripe?
    Enjoy it?
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^
    So did you pluk one when it was ripe?
    Enjoy it?

No matter how pretty they are I just couldn't get my head away from the fact that they are still basically male. 55

^^^^

C'mon - every hole is a goal in Patong 555!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast