Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Chiang Rai Disused Airfield

Platinum

Chiang Rai Disused Airfield

In Chiang Rai recently and wandered around from our hotel and discovered a disused airfield.
    Had a plane as a display.
    Anyone know what the plane is and any history on the airfield?

DSC01619.jpg

DSC01615.jpg

My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    It probably is just the old civilian airfield, but I wanted a more exciting background, built during the Vietnam war or something. It seemed like half of Chiang Rai was out there walking, running, playing games, jazzercise, great useage of this prime bit of real estate.

Now what is the plane?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Staying a couple of hundred metres away from it right now. Some huge carnival in ATM. Might wander down and have a look.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Found it...RFB Fantrainer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thai Visa has a thread suggesting it was built by Japan in WWII.
    Rivo, TLandHim and pinecone like this.

Platinum
    Brian you are a champ

I did several searches but came up with nothing.
    Interesting aircraft, the great forward visibility made me think it was an artillery spotter or similar.

Wonder what it would handle like, better than it looks apparently

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Only 50 produced, I wonder how many are still in use?

. . . the old runway during the Phokhun Mengrai Maharat Festival, held at the end of January every year.
    The entire length of the runway becomes a huge amusement park, with food stalls, dodgem cars and all manner of fairground attractions. You'll even see tractor manufacturers sporting their latest models in various exhibitions (this is a farming community after all)...
    Wai Sa Phaya Mengrai (King Mengrai Festival), (งานไหว้สาพญาเม็งราย หรือ งานพ่อขุนเม็งรายมหาราช) generally referred to as Pho Khun Mengrai Maharat Festival by the local residents, is an annual, 10-day event held from January 26 to February 4 to commemorate and to pay homage and respect to the founding father of Chiang Rai (Thailand), Pho Khun Mengrai Maharat, who founded the city on January 26, 1262.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Brian you are a champ

I did several searches but came up with nothing.
    Interesting aircraft, the great forward visibility made me think it was an artillery spotter or similar.

Wonder what it would handle like, better than it looks apparently
    My hunch was that it was a trainer because of livery, similar to Aus and NZ way back (although they were grey and red striped) .Easier to spot if they crashed.
    Aus trainer today...

and NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Wai Sa Phaya Mengrai (King Mengrai Festival), generally referred to as Pho Khun Mengrai Maharat Festival by the local residents, is an annual, 10-day event held from January 26 to February 4 to commemorate and to pay homage and respect to the founding father of Chiang Rai (Thailand), Pho Khun Mengrai Maharat, who founded the city on January 26, 1262.
    huge event,took up maybe half the runway.locals were out in force having a great time.
    me and Nora spent a couple of hours wandering around it last night.

the old runway serves as great recreational area in the mornings afternoons for thais walking,jogging,excercising,bike riding and a popular place for food carts in the afternoons,near by.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hatari likes this.

GMT
    Cadet Bronze
    [QUOTE=TLandHim;208019]In Chiang Rai recently and wandered around from our hotel and discovered a disused airfield.
    Had a plane as a display.
    Anyone know what the plane is and any history on the airfield?

DSC01619.jpg

I've had a look at the pic of the aeroplane (I see that you've already got an answer to what it is, and some of the history of the type), I'd be interested in seeing any other photos that you have of it ... especially seeing the number on the tail. It looks like '40237', but the numbers don't go that high! From that I might be able to discover a bit more about it.

The RTAF ordered 31 Fantrainer 400 aircraft and 16 Fantrainer 600 aircraft in 1984; one of each were delivered 'built' and the others were delivered in kit-form for building in Thailand. Only 11 and 16 were eventually completed, and the type was withdrawn from use in 1994.

Platinum
    Hi GMT
    The plane certainly was interesting to me
    Can't help but wonder how it handled.

Interested if you find anything more
    Attached Images Attached Images

GMT
    Cadet Bronze
    TLandHim,

thanks for the better picture which allows me to see more of the aircraft.

Aircraft '40217' is an RFB Fantrainer 600 aircraft; it is one of those shipped to Thailand for assembly. It was operated by the 402 Wing of the Royal Thai AF out of Takhli AB (near the city of Nakhon Sawan, about 140-150 kms north of Bangkok).
    The RTAF used the aircraft as a 'lead-in' trainer for some of its other jet fighters, because of its speed and handling. However, the design was not successful and Thailand was the only customer. See RFB Fantrainer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info.

This particular aircraft was withdrawn from use in 1994 along with the other remaining aircraft, and between 1994 and 2012 was stored at Takhli AB. It was even offered for sale in 2006 (along with the others), but there were obviously no takers.

Incidentally, the New Zealand trainer pictured above ... the Thais also have some of those, and they still operate them; they're based at Don Muang.
    PeteGill and TLandHim like this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Interested if you find anything more

Is this a similar plane located at a restaurant in Chiang Mai ?, out Moo's way...................

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

GMT
    Cadet Bronze
    Rivo,

that's exactly the same kind of aircraft. The 'D-EATP' on the back is its civil registration ... the 'D-' indicates Germany.

If possible, I'd be interested in a more accurate location for this ... Chiang Mai is a big place! Directions how to get to it, or a road-name, or even a lat/long would be superb. There are some pictures of it at D-EATP | Airplane-Pictures.net. From those pics (in the link) it would seem to indicate that the aircraft was still flying in Germany up until just a few years ago, so I'm not sure when it moved to Thailand.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    ^ My memory of road names is not the best, if you head out north on the Chiang Rai road you turn left into I think is the second ring road and its on your right, you cant miss it, it will be on your right, out San Sai way.

Moo tells me its been there for quite a while, maybe PM Moo if he doesnt answer here and he will telll you exactly as he lives out that way.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by GMT View Post
    Rivo,

that's exactly the same kind of aircraft. The 'D-EATP' on the back is its civil registration ... the 'D-' indicates Germany.

If possible, I'd be interested in a more accurate location for this ... Chiang Mai is a big place! Directions how to get to it, or a road-name, or even a lat/long would be superb. There are some pictures of it at D-EATP | Airplane-Pictures.net. From those pics (in the link) it would seem to indicate that the aircraft was still flying in Germany up until just a few years ago, so I'm not sure when it moved to Thailand.
    ^ https://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...KPL6&mkt=en-US

just enter where you are in A to get directions there.

i have seen it there but not sure how long it's been there.

Outer Ring Road, Nong Chom, San Sai, Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 1st March 2015 at 23:11.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Its been there for at least 18 months.
    I used to pass it almost daily.

GMT
    Cadet Bronze
    An update from 'a man with all the answers' ... This aircraft was previously at Jomtiem, just south of Pattaya. There is/was a 'used military equipment' yard right next to the Sukhumvit Road, and this aircraft was in the yard, along with some other aircraft. As I mentioned above, the 'D-' part indicates Germany, however there is *still* an aircraft flying in Germany with that registration, so this one in Thailand is not 'the real thing'. It must be one of the former RTAF aircraft that used to be at Takhli.

If anyone comes across any more of these ... either RFB Fantrainers, aircraft in general, or even helicopters - being displayed or dumped somewhere beside a road, or as an 'eye-catcher for a restaurant, please post some pictures and details of where, and I will be able to tell you more about them.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    This was pretty cool in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica..........they turned it into a bar/restaurant

Why a Plane Became a Restaurant and Bar - tales of revolution, CIA plots & arms trading in Central America | Permaculture Magazine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast