The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132
Like Tree343Likes

Thread: Thai houses - your photos

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Ive always thought traditional Thai roofs look great , but people say the little tiles shift/leak.

Ive never considered the raw sheeted roof , certainly that stuff is weather proof ( tho vunerable to coconuts ! ) but in a shady setting this one has weathered nicely..

Tez
    Be interesting to get costs on some of them I will probably look ata long land lease and put something on it one day but not yet. Unless I find a spot on a river way up in the north east that needs a little fix up. Great shots.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar
    Know I've posted a pic of this place on the western side of Tha Mai before, but it looked more pink today, a large family home, not apartments as I'd thought

We will be geared to the average rather than the exceptional

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    That is a very Large house Hatari !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar
    Big in Tha Mai... another large house nears completion in a recent subdivision; several similar size to this one being built, a bit of local ego competition maybe as to which family has the biggest house

Rivo, Chob, obes and 1 others like this.
    We will be geared to the average rather than the exceptional

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Ive always thought traditional Thai roofs look great , but people say the little tiles shift/leak.

Ive never considered the raw sheeted roof , certainly that stuff is weather proof ( tho vunerable to coconuts ! ) but in a shady setting this one has weathered nicely..

We got a Colourbond roof and love the sound of rain at night. The ceiling tends to baffle the sound a bit.

You can buy sheets with insulation attached to them.... forget what its called.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 10th February 2018 at 20:28.
    kaptainrob and Chob like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    We got a Colourbond roof and love the sound of rain at night. The ceiling tends to baffle the sound a bit.

You can buy sheets with insulation attached to them.... forget what its called.
    White Colorbond is best and there's a spray-on insulation which makes it cooler (underneath) than a tiled roof. Would need panel-beating if attacked by coconuts ... 55
    Chob likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Yes , maybe ... but yes, the big opening would be useful , airy. Especially as locally we are not too plagued by mozzies , tho you'd have to close them at dusk if not having ( huge ) screens..

The house is actually bigger than it looks and I wouldnt have a place so large...

Hmm , while I love the wood floors , and always had them ( mainly brushbox ) floors in Aus , the wood loving bugs are a worry here , so I think if I copied the above it would be a tiled slab on stilts ( the stilts painted in to match , and cut off the back bedroom and bath . Have an outhouse out near the sala as a 2nd loo and cold shower. A matching storage shed ...No pool ever again.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Hmm , while I love the wood floors , and always had them ( mainly brushbox ) floors in Aus , the wood loving bugs are a worry here , so I think if I copied the above it would be a tiled slab on stilts ( the stilts painted in to match , and cut off the back bedroom and bath . Have an outhouse out near the sala as a 2nd loo and cold shower. A matching storage shed ...No pool ever again.
    Hmmmmmm.
    You're not getting any younger so better plan something on ground level - works for me!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    What about https://www.amtico.com/flooring/ is this available in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    What about https://www.amtico.com/flooring/ is this available in Thailand
    Ceramic or porcelain tiles are very cheap here and even the latest wood-plank* offerings [~A$30m2] are coming down in price. Laminated 'floating-floors' are not very popular.

*The top quality products are almost impossible to tell apart from real wood.

In the same vein ... I have seen solid compressed bamboo decking which is extremely durable. It's similar to Australian hardwood decking, complete with grooving to one side, also available tongue&grooved, and very heavy. It's about to be laid around a large domestic pool and will supposedly withstand the (Chiang Mai) elements including salt water better than most other decking products.

OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Ive walked on some fake wood vinyl floors that "give" and make a noise as you do.

Not for me ..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Ceramic or porcelain tiles are very cheap here and even the latest wood-plank* offerings [~A$30m2] are coming down in price. Laminated 'floating-floors' are not very popular.
    I brought the wood look tiles 200 x 1000mm out of China. $9 AUD per meter square. Used them on a extrnal wall, bathroom floors and stair treads. The stair riser I did in a black tile. Looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I brought the wood look tiles 200 x 1000mm out of China. $9 AUD per meter square. Used them on a extrnal wall, bathroom floors and stair treads. The stair riser I did in a black tile. Looked great.
    These are Cotto porcelain, random pattern and the closest to nature I've seen. The tiling couple made such a perfect job of laying they had to use a liquid grout for the non-gaps.
    Last edited by kaptainrob; 11th February 2018 at 18:10. Reason: google grrrr
    wabbits and OZZYGUY like this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Cant see pic Lob ....

Cant see pic Lob ....
    Fixed I think?

Chob likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    The good thing with these wood tiles Rob is very little waistage. If you lay them random that is. I got lots left over.
    kaptainrob likes this.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132