The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Like Tree509Likes

Thread: Thai houses - your photos

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Remember living in a shared tenement house in SE London in 81.. You walked down the road and then turned up the stairs at the abandoned VW Combi.. Till some bastard moved the Combi 555
    justcruzing1, Ian Forbes and Cuzzy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Remember living in a shared tenement house in SE London in 81.. You walked down the road and then turned up the stairs at the abandoned VW Combi.. Till some bastard moved the Combi 555
    "Landmarks" are how we find most things. When the topography changes and the landmarks are removed it's easy enough to get lost. That is why I usually carry a GPS with me to give me some idea of where I am. Many cities like London look identical no matter where you are... rows upon rows of attached dwellings and nothing too outstanding to know where you are. It's even worse in Asia when you can't read the street signs.

Many, many Thais have no concept of maps, but they can still find their way across their country... Turn left at this temple and right at the next 7-11. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I've done it!

In NYC in your 20's everyone does "Summer Shares" in the Hamptons or Jersey Shore
    The Hamptons you rent a Mcmansion or Mansion and have about 30 people staying in, sometimes more

The Hamptons has an awesome system where you call a van to your house and it takes you to the bars/clubs
    You can drink in them

Then when you leave the club you hop in a van that is going to your part of the Hamptons

Well, you can imagine I was always pretty wasted leaving the club

And since there is so many people in these houses you don't lock the doors

A couple mornings I've woken up in the wrong house 5555

PS...Summer shares were the best time of my life.
    justcruzing1 and Cuzzy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I've done it!

Well, you can imagine I was always pretty wasted leaving the club

And since there is so many people in these houses you don't lock the doors

A couple mornings I've woken up in the wrong house 5555

PS...Summer shares were the best time of my life.
    With someone else's lady beside you? 555
    Cuzzy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    With someone else's lady beside you? 555
    Yes!
    Because in those Hampton Houses they were so packed that the floors were covered with people
    So it was common to sleep in a bed with a girl just as friends because was much nicer than sleeping with 5 dudes!

Our room was my friend Phil and I and 5 girls 5555

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yes!
    Because in those Hampton Houses they were so packed that the floors were covered with people
    So it was common to sleep in a bed with a girl just as friends because was much nicer than sleeping with 5 dudes!

Our room was my friend Phil and I and 5 girls 5555
    The only times I was in bed with 3 or more women was in the Philippines. There was not much room for sleeping.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    The only times I was in bed with 3 or more women was in the Philippines. There was not much room for sleeping.

I found 3 was more hassle than fun.... 2 was way more manageable
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzy View Post
    I found 3 was more hassle than fun.... 2 was way more manageable
    Agreed. But a totally unique experience.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Heres hoping Hatari and Gav can reignite this thread !

I really enjoyed looking through it again..

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Heres hoping Hatari and Gav can reignite this thread !

Im off to CR again next-month, Ill be sure to get some more house photos.

Meanwhile Bacwaan will have to tell us if this strange looking place is still down his way, I took these photo's 7 x years ago.........................

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Ive posted some of these pics before, it was when we were looking at different builders in Chiang Rai in 2015, this home was just finished (2.4m Baht) and I thought the quality was very good, it had 4 x bedrooms/3 x bathrooms and that strange looking upstairs area which you had to access from the main bedroom, I though it would of made a better area if left open like an upstairs sala........................

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Cadet Gold
    I have a bit of a hobby and that is to look at thai real estate in different parts of the kingdome in a certain price range , top end of range is 3mil and lowest is 500 thou .
    You get a good idea on where the bargains are but occasionally a house will pop up for whoknows what reason and for the price is pretty good value ,this one above would be just house alone i would say but even for that it certainly looks quite good .
    One thing i dont like about the more modern houses is the ammount of windows and a sliding front door which is full glass why make it easy for thieves is my opinion , i see different houses some with bars over the windows some without ,some are just a box with a skillion roof no character at all , one of the wifes friends just bought a house on the very outskirts of bangkok new and it cost her 3 mil and to be truthfull it is more of a town house than a detached house .
    Another friend who's wife bought a town house a fair time ago although it is older and in a village the proximity to central bangkok is quite good and with new bts lines coming along it is easy to get around all be it having to change multiple trains .
    I was on another sight where one person would downgrade the thais and lived in a gated community and i asked him why did he come to live in thailand if he doesnt like thais never did get a straight answer told him he was born in the wrong era should have been when the viceroys ruled india . Anyway the house above is quite nice modern kitchen good design and single level ,i have talked to the wife about types of houses and she definatley does not want a town house her thinking is if there is a problem with the neighbour then they are to close .
    She has definite ideas about two story houses and i must agree climbing stairs at 80 i dont think would be fun at all so there you have it a detached single story house her idea is not to big and i have told her i refuse to live in a box minimum 2 bedrooms preferably 3 also i dont know why thai homes have two bathrooms maybe someone can explain this for me just another room to keep clean in my books ive got a long time to keep looking but it is a hobby so far i have looked at areas such as rayong hua hin cha am bangkok ect definatley would not live in pattaya or phuket just not my scene to many tourists .

When you get older, the proximity to good hospitals can be a concern. I'm a mountain person so I appreciate what Chiang Mai has to offer, but a person like Chob wants to be close to a beach with a good surf. Everything is a compromise if you are married and have children.
    crispy likes this.

Cadet Gold
    I have lived near the sea all my life although my wife has spent most of her adult life living and working in bangkok this why i would prefer to live in hua hin,rayong or an area near the sea ,wife is also concerned about sunamies i told her by the time it got to rayong it would be a ripple ,i have looked at places such as chaing rai but i think it would be the end of me not to be able to go to the beach for a walk .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Certainly a sturdy looking house for the price Gav !

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Im off to CR again next-month, Ill be sure to get some more house photos.

Meanwhile Bacwaan will have to tell us if this strange looking place is still down his way, I took these photo's 7 x years ago.........................

still there Gav...as is the owner..he is a manufacturing jeweller who has a small shop in Baan Hua Thanon not far from this house and he also sells to shops over on the mainland...

That VW Kombi is the way he made his way here from Austria (iirc) many years ago...drove it all the way..he's a bit of a wizard type of dude..but well liked on the island

still there Gav...as is the owner..he is a manufacturing jeweller who has a small shop in Baan Hua Thanon not far from this house and he also sells to shops over on the mainland...

That VW Kombi is the way he made his way here from Austria (iirc) many years ago...drove it all the way..he's a bit of a wizard type of dude..but well liked on the island
    I'll bet he is a real interesting bloke to talk to if you enjoy art like I do. Everything about the place is one of a kind unique... even the vehicles.

I haven't been out to Saraphi in a year and the residential construction in the area is growing like a weed. Saraphi is about 10 km south of Chiang Mai. A whole new mooban has been built with more to come. There is a real mixture of the old and new.

One of the more imposing looking homes built on a small lot. I personally think that big structure is wrong for that location, unless 2 or 3 families are going to live in the same house. It needs an estate property.

Right behind it are a bunch of modern "row houses". Somebody mentioned they cost about 1.5 miilion baht each. But that might have been a wild guess.

That contrasts dramatically from the standard Thai homes in the area. I've seen hundreds of these type structures all over Thailand.

Another neat little home in the same area, and one that has been around for a while.

One of the nicer homes on a proper size lot.

It contrasts dramatically from the little "shack" my lady friend's mother lives in. When I met her 4 years ago she didn't even have a toilet and had to use her neighbours. Her tightwad oldest daughter wouldn't allow her mother to use theirs. I paid for a toilet for her and some roof repairs. The infighting amongst Thais are the same as in the west.

The grandmother is a lovely old lady (younger than me) and has done most of the raising of her granddaughter while the girl's mother was away trying to earn a living... typical of the Thai system where men bugger off and don't support the children they breed.

Cadet Gold
    To me a house is just bricks and mortar somewhere i sleep eat ect , i have lived in many different homes through out my life and i suppose thats why i think this way ,this is the second home i have owned that im in now ,someone asked me if you had to sell would i my reply was "in a heartbeat " .Some of the houses bove people would say im not living in that wooden shack, i could no problems the row houses are ok and i think this would be what the wife would look at rather than a split level .I think a lot has to do with what people think there status is me as long as i am happy and comfortable it doesnt bother me .
    One thing i have noticed is that thai homes seem to take up almost every inch of the lot maybe a small area at the front but about 3 feet from the fence at the back , its funny when i look at the houses for sale as some are jammed to the ceiling with clutter almost as if thais are horders i suppose this comes from being a transient population moving where the work is and each place they collect gear and take it to the next place .
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Speaking as one of the horders, I understand what you are saying, crispy. 555

I have too much expensive crap that I still use, and it takes up a lot of space. Various boats, trailers, campers, motorcycles and my truck takes up a lot of outdoor space. I use them all. As far as inside crap is concerned I could probably get by with just 2 or 3 rooms. I seldom have over night guests for more than a day or so.

I dread the coming day when I have to look at reality and start getting rid of it. Neither of my kids want my stuff. Better I start selling it soon while I still can.
    Zablive likes this.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast