Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rewarding for school performance

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Rewarding for school performance

My wife and I got into a bit of a debate last night. Nothing contentious.....just two different outlooks I guess.

1st with Thailand GPA system being based on a 4.0 scale I assume that they follow the same system as we do in the west/NA?

So she promised her son that if he got a 2.5 avg or above she'd buy him an IPhone.
    I am not against rewarding for performance but I told her I wouldn't reward for just an average performance.*
    Now it all depends on the child but I can tell you he is very capable of more than a 2.5. He is a bit of a spacy slacker(I actually think it is a charming part of him) so by setting it at 2.5 he'd be the kind of kid to do just enough to get that

Two points she made that stood out:
    1) She said that she only got a 2.3 so he did better than her but I mentioned that she got that 2.3 in a much challenging life than he has. She was batting poverty while he lives a middle class life.

2) And this might be cultural. She mentioned it is good, especially since he is a boy. Possibly teenage boys aren't expected to do as well?

I thought it was an interesting discussion and stressed to her neither was right or wrong.....just different approaches.

Others thoughts on this would be welcomed

By contrast in m house, although not a highbrow family, you were admonished if you brought home a C

No idea of those scoring systems. But I don't remember my parents really having much interest in my results... I think I was a lot more bothered than them... 555

They just assumed I'd do well I guess. No rewards were ever mentioned though... nor did I expect any... the reward for me was the result.

But doesn't it depend on the child? If they have always struggled... then maybe an average score is good for them? My brother struggled for years and it wasn't until he was quite old that he was diagnosed with dyslexia... and what a world of difference when that was recognised. He wasn't admonished for scoring lowly up till then though... not at all. He was encouraged all the way through. And they never compared him to me just because I was a higher achiever. Admonishment of kids for poor results seems harsh. Admonishments for lack of effort, not doing homework etc... yes. But actual results?

Do they check for things like dyslexia in Thailand? Or other learning problems?
    Last edited by Quarky; 2nd March 2015 at 06:04.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    ^^ Always wondered if there could be anything like dyslexia in a tonal language..?
    Being a dyslectic myself, I do better in languages that are more phonetic, and tonal language should be (but isn't as I understand) fully phonetic..

On the OP... I do reward my kids for their results in school, but only in the line of their education...
    So I not buy them a toy, but something that helps them in their further education..
    My daughter wants to and will go to bilingual education (Dutch and English) after summer holiday, and as a gift (the bilingual school is a 1 hour bicycle ride one way) for her results this year, I might buy her a whatdoyoucallit? 6 month bus ticket / subscription..

My oldest got his scooter license and a scooter at 16, I-pad at graduation from high school..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Most of us were brought up in a culture where if the teacher didn't tell the parents something was wrong then everything was fine. I got top grades without being pushed. I always wondered about the dumb kids and why they were so stupid. Interesting how you are who you are born to be. I don't remember my parents helping me with school work or me ever asking. So now you have to buy him a new iPhone...555
    Quarky likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

If anything my parents thought I studied too much... 555

Dad was an unemployed alcoholic while I was at secondary school... so money was tight. I remember at age 14 having two jobs... paper run and milk run to pay for my school trip... 55. Never crossed my mind to ask my parents to pay... cause I knew they couldn't I guess. I remember even saving up to buy new shoes for school for school. My old ones had gotten too small... I did have to wear a pair of dad's shoes for a while... 55

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    ^^ Always wondered if there could be anything like dyslexia in a tonal language..?
    Would be interested to know the answer to this...

My kids have always achieved good grades, A's and B's. etc. Other than going out for dinners to celebrate, we never bought them anything for that. We let our girls know it was expected to get good grades...so they never expected a reward. I will do something when they graduate University, just don't know what that is yet. Took my 13 year old out for dinner last night, she made the Principal's List on her last report card for having at least a 90% average...that's worth celebrating...but not worth a reward, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Most of us were brought up in a culture where if the teacher didn't tell the parents something was wrong then everything was fine. I got top grades without being pushed. I always wondered about the dumb kids and why they were so stupid. Interesting how you are who you are born to be. I don't remember my parents helping me with school work or me ever asking. So now you have to buy him a new iPhone...555
    That's the thing... most kids are not going to be A-Grade students. In NZ at 15... when I was at school... only 50% are allowed to pass school certificate. So even if every school kid was brilliant... they'd still fail 50% of them. So will the parents all punish those kids for failing?

If I had kids I would encourage effort... but I would not reward success. The results should be reward enough... and if they have poor results, I'd want to understand why they found it hard. Was it lack of motivation? Lack of interest? Or what? Hopefully today's subjects are more vocational than they were in my day... so students can study what they are interested in... and what is practical for their future...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    That's the thing... most kids are not going to be A-Grade students. In NZ at 15... when I was at school... only 50% are allowed to pass school certificate. So even if every school kid was brilliant... they'd still fail 50% of them. So will the parents all punish those kids for failing?

If I had kids I would encourage effort... but I would not reward success. The results should be reward enough... and if they have poor results, I'd want to understand why they found it hard. Was it lack of motivation? Lack of interest? Or what? Hopefully today's subjects are more vocational than they were in my day... so students can study what they are interested in... and what is practical for their future...
    As I said......it does depend on the kid
    In this personal situation he can easily get B's and A's.....with the occasional difficulties in a particular subject

To be honest.......he needs a new phone so this was sort of tied into when in reality, he was getting a phone. Now I don't think he needs a new IPhone and told my wife I'd ask if any of the guys at work have an old one they want to sell

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Being a dyslectic myself, I do better in languages that are more phonetic, and tonal language should be (but isn't as I understand) fully phonetic..

On the OP... I do reward my kids for their results in school, but only in the line of their education...
    So I not buy them a toy, but something that helps them in their further education..
    My daughter wants to and will go to bilingual education (Dutch and English) after summer holiday, and as a gift (the bilingual school is a 1 hour bicycle ride one way) for her results this year, I might buy her a whatdoyoucallit? 6 month bus ticket / subscription..

My oldest got his scooter license and a scooter at 16, I-pad at graduation from high school..
    The educational aspect of a reward is a very good idea
    Although these days you could say knowing your way around a smartphone is educational and almost a necessity
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 2nd March 2015 at 07:40.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    As I said......it does depend on the kid
    In this personal situation he can easily get B's and A's.....with the occasional difficulties in a particular subject

To be honest.......he needs a new phone so this was sort of tied into when in reality, he was getting a phone. Now I don't think he needs a new IPhone and told my wife I'd ask if any of the guys at work have an old one they want to sell
    I don't suppose every child gets a free iPad or equivalent in Thailand as they tend to in the West? I'm going to ask a dumb question here... but do children say under 16 really need smartphones? I don't even think I need one... 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    ^^^ you ask too many questions

I think it's a bad precedent to give a kid a iPhone for a 2.5.

Besides, some tough kid who got a 3.5 and his parents gave him sweet f-all is just going to take it from him anyways 55

I don't suppose every child gets a free iPad or equivalent in Thailand as they tend to in the West? I'm going to ask a dumb question here... but do children say under 16 really need smartphones? I don't even think I need one... 55
    I think a 14yr old needs a phone......and I am of the opinion any phone should be a smartphone
    A kid learning to use a smartphone is actually a useful tool in life.......considering the amount of jobs/information are related to mobile

I would have preferred we just bought the phone for him rather than a reward for average grades

Was anyone else motivated by a reward to do well at school? I just found I did well in the subjects I were interested in... I was rubbish at French... but good at maths and science... but only because I found them interesting... I don't think a reward would have made me study French any more..

What about other folks? Was anyone here motivated by rewards when at school?

Was anyone else motivated by a reward to do well at school? I just found I did well in the subjects I were interested in... I was rubbish at French... but good at maths and science... but only because I found them interesting... I don't think a reward would have made me study French any more..

I never got rewarded but good grades were stressed in my household.

We had this great learning tool/competition in elementary school called SRA's
    I believe it was reading comprehension and math
    It had different color levels
    So that was definitely a competition to see who could get to highest level 1st and complete all the colors
    Myself and John Skamarakas were the best.

I know good grades were stressed in my household but I never felt pressured
    But to get lower than a B was not looked on well

I think it is healthy, once you realize your child it capable, to stress expectations of high grade levels
    Then if they are not attaining them....work with them to improve or understand why

Are you serious? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Sounds very Orwellian. Sorry. everyone else got an A. But you idiot A- numb skulls are being held back.....555
    Bacon likes this.

There was a competitive factor for me. Didn't want to be the Jack Ass with the C when everyone else got an A. They would never assign me a partner to procreate in your Orwellian country...55

Actually I do remember at primary school wanting to be top of my class at multiplication tables... because we used a world map... and each level was represented by a city... with the 12 times table being New York.. I always wanted to go to NY and that was what made me learn the lot the fastest.. 55

Actually I do remember at primary school wanting to be top of my class at multiplication tables... because we used a world map... and each level was represented by a city... with the 12 times table being New York.. I always wanted to go to NY and that was what made me learn the lot the fastest.. 55
    I actually looked around to buy those SRA learning kits recently
    I'd teach them myself to any child I was raising

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Are you serious? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Sounds very Orwellian. Sorry. everyone else got an A. But you idiot A- numb skulls are being held back.....555
    I'm not sure... but it may still well exist now. That's why half the school kids would vanish at age 15... while the passers continued on...

Need a Kiwi with kids at school recently who can confirm.

I am presuming then this didn't happen in other countries? For example. We had about 300 kids at entry level (aged 12) and at 15... only about 150 would make it to 6th form (16 yrs old). Then only about 30 odd made it to 7th form.. final year...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast