Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Hatari

Thread: Thai English teachers face test

Thai English teachers face test

English teachers face test
    THE NATION March 2, 2015 1:00 am

THE 46,000 English-language teachers in government schools are set to undergo an international-level proficiency test - the first of its kind in nearly a decade.

It will be conducted this month and next month, Office of Basic Education Commission (OBEC) secretary-general Kamol Rodkhlai said yesterday.

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) test was last conducted in Thailand nearly 10 years ago, and will cost almost Bt25.5 million - or Bt350 per head for the 46,682 teachers.

The test is part of an Education Ministry policy to enhance Thailand's integration into the Asean Economic Community by lifting the country's English-speaking standards, Kamol said.

This means the standard of Thailand's English-language teachers needs to be improved, which will happen after the result of the test are known, he added.

"We don't know the skill levels of Thai English-language teachers because large-scale evaluations and tests were conducted a long time ago," he said.

There are 33,811 teachers in government primary schools under 183 area offices and 12,871 teachers in secondary schools under 42 area offices.

the teacher in this skit, Tuki (or is it Tooki?) a fixture on Thai comedy and quiz shows; suspect that somewhere, across the many channels, there's not day she doesn't appear somewhere on tv

Aimed at Thais, it does have a point in terms of how well, or not well, some Thai teachers have mastered the English language; and 'teacher is always right'

Quarky, Sydney, Stillearly and 1 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ brilliant

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Do these mispronounced words have a double / Thai meaning?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I was just talking to my wife the other day that I don't know how you teach Thais kids w/o knowing Thai

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I was just talking to my wife the other day that I don't know how you teach Thais kids w/o knowing Thai
    My sister taught Korean kids for 6 months in South Korea without knowing a word of Korean...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    My sister taught Korean kids for 6 months in South Korea without knowing a word of Korean...
    Still seems odd to me
    I'd think to do your best.....you would need to communicate in their language also

Still seems odd to me
    I'd think to do your best.....you would need to communicate in their language also
    I thought that as well, but speaking to others who have been trained in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) said it's not really an issue... especially if you are teaching a class of a number of different nationalities... and hence native languages...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Still seems odd to me
    Not at all. Plenty of systems teach children to speak other languages by communicating in that language alone. It works. But only with children!
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Thais' poor English to hurt job prospects in Asean community
    19 Mar 2015

PHUKET At a luxurious resort in this southern island, Boblyn Pertible from the Philippines is completing a professional internship for her bachelor's degree in hotel management.

"I will consider applying for jobs outside my country after graduation," she said in fluent English. "The coming of the Asean Economic Community will definitely open doors to more opportunities for me."

In December, Thailand and the other nine member states of the Association of Southeast Asia Nations are due to start a single market.

Integration will enable the free flow of capital, goods, services and skilled labour. Workers in eight areas engineers, nurses, doctors, dentists, architects, surveyors, accountants and tourism professionals will be able to migrate across Asean borders.

The market is home to more than 600 million people, almost double the population of the United States. The combined economy will be the seventh largest in the world, comparable to that of Britain or Brazil.

Language skills will matter in the new single market, especially in English, the only lingua franca in Asean.

"English will be extremely important as a means for communications in business," said Treenuch Phaichayonvichit of the Thailand Development Research Institute. "However, Thai students seems to perform poorly. The mean score on national tests in English has always been below 50, which is a failing grade by any standard."

"The performance in international English proficiency tests is also inferior to other countries in the region," Mr Treenuch said.

The average Thai test-taker typically scores lower than those in Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and Myanmar on both the International English Language Testing System and the Test of English as a Foreign Language.

Thailand ranks 55th out of 60 countries on the English Proficiency Index, the world's major ranking of English-language skills. That is the lowest among Southeast Asian countries.

Thais struggle with English even though it is a mandatory subject from primary school through high school and despite 20% of Thailand's GDP coming from tourism.

"Classrooms in Thailand put too much emphasis on grammar," said Sarah Wilson, an English teacher who has taught in Thai schools for more than 10 years. "They focus on studying for tests rather than being able to converse and use English in real-life situations."

"Many students struggle forming sentences on their own," said Krittapot Jiravat, a private English tutor. "All they want to do is study for exams and tests, because they think they don't have any other purposes beyond that."

"Many professionals have to study after work when they realise that English is important in their career," he said.

"Once the single market is launched, the job market will become more competitive," Mr Treenuch said. "People with higher skills in English will be at advantage."

Workers with stronger English skills typically earn 30%-50% more pay than those with weaker proficiency, according to the Harvard Business Review.

Advanced English skills allow job seekers to apply for better jobs and raise their living standards.

"We are already seeing an influx of skilled workers from countries like the Philippines, who are replacing Thais in jobs that require English-speaking employees," Mr Treenuch said.

Staff positions at the Regent Phuket Cape Panwa, where 95% of hotel guests are foreigners, are open to all nationalities, according to manager Witchuda Mas-o-sot.

"The ability to communicate in English is the most important skill to have," Ms Witchuda said.

An unemployed recent hotel management graduate expressed concerns that his difficulty in finding a job will become even more apparent once the integrated Asean market is open. Others, like Ms Boblyn the Filipino intern, will benefit.

"I speak English more fluently than Thais do," she said. "That is my competitive advantage."

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    so who is going to do the testing 5555

Just reading the thread and noticed

cost almost Bt25.5 million - or Bt350 per head for the 46,682 teachers.
    I think someone also needs math proficiency tests... (unless some people have 2 heads 555)