Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ian Forbes

Thread: My new favourite highway

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

My new favourite highway

As most of you here know, I have a very sick girlfriend who lives with her mother in Phan. Phan is in the Chiang Rai district about 250 km north of Chiang Mai, and about 50 km south of Chiang Rai.

Normally, anyone going to Chiang Rai, or the border at Mae Sai, would follow highway 118 north until it joins the main north-south highway A1, about 30 km south of Chiang Rai, and turn north. Phan is about 25 km south from this junction. It is about a 4 hour bus ride from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and another hour to the border. It is a very busy route through a couple of mountainous sections. When doing my visa run or visiting my sick girlfriend, I've always taken that route until recently.

On my last two trips to visit Pui I took a detour onto hwy 120 that not only was more enjoyable but actually quicker. Although it is longer by distance, there is less traffic and the scenery is far nicer. And, once I hit highway A1 I averaged a far higher speed.

I always stop for fuel in the village of Mae Chedi which is just after you've come down from the mountains to the flat country. The turn is on a little road .5 km north of the gas station. It connects with hwy 120. GPS is 19 11 53.74 N, 99 30 59.3 E

The main road (Wang Pa Pao road) is north of there but about 5 km further because it circles around.

Highway 120 slowly climbs into the hills through some lovely farming country for about 30 km, and then really starts to climb over a mountain pass in forested terrain. The highway has recently been paved and is great on a motorbike with wide sweeping curves. It is about 60 km from Mae Chedi to highway A1.

Even though it was smoky on my last few trips it was still a lovely ride.
    obes and Hatari like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ i did it on tuesday in torrential rain and low cloud and could barely see the big dinosaurs on the side of the road at the top of the mountain 55

it's a good road on a big bike and the recent laying of coarse new pavement makes it even better.

nice waterfall right beside the road too

Attached Images Attached Images
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Too bad you hit that torrential rain on your ride, Lew. That certainly would decrease the speed and the enjoyment. The pretty waterfall is about the halfway point between hwy 118 and A1. Each time I went by there were lots of people enjoying the pool below the falls. And, as per usual in Thailand, there was the customary food and drink sales. The falls must be pretty impressive during the wet season. I took a bunch of video and photos but haven't down-loaded them onto any site for display. I'm going to go back in November when the air is not so smoky.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I'm going to go back in November when the air is not so smoky.
    you should be able to see the big lake at Phayao from the dinosaur view point at that time of the year.

Attached Images Attached Images
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Thanks for that, Lew. It was so smoky on my previous trips that I could hardly see the lake while standing on its shore.