Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: retirement

retirement

Is it most BM's aim/goal to retire in thailand or are they just happy holidaying there?
    If so have you put measures in place to enable you to do so earlier than your governments retirement age- basically im 35 started getting to working on my retirement in thailand over the last few years, hopefully i can do it by 50 at least on a 6month a year basis!
    should i put it on the long finger and enjoy my relative youth a bit more? $$$
    interested to hear some of yer stories/thoughts

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    You have a long finger....bet you're popular......

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Haha I've never heard that expression. The long finger. Anyway, 15 years is a long time. Soooo much **** can happen. Yeah you should save for retirement, the early the better, but forgoing 15 years for the potential to retire at 50 in Los is insane IMO.
    OZZYGUY and Stillearly like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I have found real "Early retirees" to be a mere blip on the radar of reality.
    Most expats have a passive income from their home country, supplemented by a local, or remotely run home based business income. Either that or they are on a kind of "Fly in Fly out" employment.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    At 35yrs old you should definitely have a goal in place and it is good to have that goal to look for.

But you also need to live your life
    You can do a lot more at 35yrs old than you can at 50yrs old

So I'd try and strike a balance
    Moo Uaon and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I'm 47 and plan to retire at 55 , I think I will have enough cash / pensions to make this possible , but I have no wish to live full time in Thailand or anywhere else .. I plan on holidaying Jan - early April , returning home and going on another trip Oct - early Dec - I just want to avoid the worst of the Winter months and come back for Xmas , whilst enjoying the Summer at home
    Tingtong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    At 35yrs old you should definitely have a goal in place and it is good to have that goal to look for.

But you also need to live your life
    You can do a lot more at 35yrs old than you can at 50yrs old

So I'd try and strike a balance
    I'd like to know what you can do at 35 you can't do at 50?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Three pops a night ...
    Changone and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Three pops a night ...
    I only needed two hours... 55

Meet 25-35yr old girls that are actually interested?? 555

50yrs old is not old......but anyone will certainly have more of a social life at 35yrs old than 50yrs old
    You are at the peak of your life at 35yrs old.......to waste that sitting at home waiting until you can retire at 50 is a waste

Meet 25-35yr old girls that are actually interested?? 555

50yrs old is not old......but anyone will certainly have more of a social life at 35yrs old than 50yrs old
    You are at the peak of your life at 35yrs old.......to waste that sitting at home waiting until you can retire at 50 is a waste
    Good point on the women... unfortunately I still try to behave like I did at 35... 555. Though naturally I guess our choice of women should increase with age... unfortunately some of us live in a dream world and still fancy the same girls we did when we were 25... actually that's a lie... at 25 a 32 yr old woman seemed ancient... now she seems perfect.... 555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    My plan was to retire at 50 as well....but in New Zealand rather than LoS...having semi moved there 2 years earlier from Sydney...but an estrangement from a wife, a business crisis and boredom with the weather put paid to that

By my 52nd birthday I was living in LoS...can't say it was planned but it seemed to be the logical place to be after spending lots of time here over the past 30 years

Money wasn't really an issue....I had adequate plans in place for NZ and it seems to go less quickly here than it did there...despite my best attempts at funding many of the Issan provinces
    PeteGill, OZZYGUY and Stillearly like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I think that to have retirement goals are great. As long as you are flexible are prepared to adjust them according to how you funds and your forecasts for your future needs gel.
    All the best for the future, i for one will not be negative.
    bacwaan likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I think I can do most things I could do when I was 35, 20 years ago... albeit, a LOT more slowly 555
    Changone likes this.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

I can get out now, if I choose to live in Thailand or around the region. I have been holding back because I have an inking, that there may be a redundo payment in the offering very shortly, mainly due to the age of our trains, and the fact the government has no concrete plans of a replacement. The lead time on new train is a few years from time of tender to time of delivery.

There is also the election we had a month or so back... The conservatives won (sadly) and they do have a privatisation agenda. Then you have the Abbott mob, and Shorten for that matter, making noises about fiddling with taxation around super... If they make a move, so will I.

We undergo exactly the same medicals as pilots and was hoping a doc would say "Dave, we found this wrong with you, it won't kill you, but you can't drive trains anymore".. I have nearly 3 years sick leave and if that was to happen, they leave you on the payroll until you exhaust your leave.

If, I wanted to live here, I would have to work a few more years..... decisions decisions. I am ready to go, it is just a matter of maximising the cash side of it...

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I can get out now, if I choose to live in Thailand or around the region. I have been holding back because I have an inking, that there may be a redundo payment in the offering very shortly, mainly due to the age of our trains, and the fact the government has no concrete plans of a replacement. The lead time on new train is a few years from time of tender to time of delivery.

There is also the election we had a month or so back... The conservatives won (sadly) and they do have a privatisation agenda. Then you have the Abbott mob, and Shorten for that matter, making noises about fiddling with taxation around super... If they make a move, so will I.

We undergo exactly the same medicals as pilots and was hoping a doc would say "Dave, we found this wrong with you, it won't kill you, but you can't drive trains anymore".. I have nearly 3 years sick leave and if that was to happen, they leave you on the payroll until you exhaust your leave.

If, I wanted to live here, I would have to work a few more years..... decisions decisions. I am ready to go, it is just a matter of maximising the cash side of it...
    You never sound too fussed about work......so I'd stick around to suss out any of that......that is a good chunknof change

With the amount of time you seem to take off how do you have 3 years sick leave?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    What sort of measures do you mean too? Just save, invest & pension? Out of interest what age did others start putting into a pension or seriously saving?

You never sound too fussed about work......so I'd stick around to suss out any of that......that is a good chunknof change

With the amount of time you seem to take off how do you have 3 years sick leave?
    40 years in the one job leads to lots of leave mate... Yeah I take plenty of time off... I will be in BKK in a couple of weeks... seniority has it's advantages as well 5555

Yeah, I don't hate my job at all..... it's easy, it pays well and they leave you alone, if you do your job.... BUT, I want to get out and enjoy myself, while I am still reasonably fit and well... Lots of blokes I know, working in my job, work until they are 60, 65 or older, then retire, and kark it a couple of years later.... I won't be that bloke.
    Last edited by dave01; 26th April 2015 at 09:58.
    Rivo, bacwaan and Nomad like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    40 years in the one job leads to lots of leave mate... Yeah I take plenty of time off... I will be in BKK in a couple of weeks... seniority has it's advantages as well 5555

Yeah, I don't hate my job at all..... it's easy, it pays well and they leave you alone, if you do your job.... BUT, I want to get out and enjoy myself, while I am still reasonably fit and well... Lots of blokes I know, working in my job, work until they are 60, 65 or older, then retire, and kark it a couple of years later.... I won't be that bloke.
    That is my struggle
    I really have an ideal job......only work until 1pm
    Unofficially take about 7 weeks holiday(we all cover for each other)
    I travel for biz at my discretion and get back to NYC/Boston basically when i want on firm's dime

BUT part of me just doesn't want to be at an office at a certain time most days. Although when I am at the office we have a blast. Laugh all day long

The 1pm finish time is such a benefit, especially for going away in weekends. I can work Fridays and still have the whole weekend to do something

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    What sort of measures do you mean too? Just save, invest & pension? Out of interest what age did others start putting into a pension or seriously saving?
    I tell my nephews to start saving the day you get a job
    Adjust your life to the money after savings
    I didn't do that but was fortunate to make good money.

I was just out with a friend who makes 65k/yr and that is not a lot of money in Vancouver with how expensive it is.
    And he just bought and apartment at 35yrs old and i was well impressed because if you look back the years i have known him it doesn't seem like he deprived himself too much. He is noticeably frugal but not to the point of disrupting his life

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast