Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 87
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Finally paid me back

  1. #21
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    The bloke has obviously worked his ass off over a long time to get this money to pay you back and he appears to take some pride in finally paying you back in full. The rolls of old twenties are a nice touch.
    Just giving it back for any reason would amount to being disrespectful in my book.
    It's as if you are saying "You can't pay me back". Or "You are still indebted to me".
    Buy a bottle of good scotch with it and forget it.
    That's a good point. Don't want to take a man's pride away.

    Buy a bottle of scotch and drink it with him!
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  2. #22
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Just as an aside ... what i liked about Dazza's post is it shows not all Thais are bad in terms of loaning money and never seeing it come back. Sure there is many bad stories out there , but you can't just throw a net over a whole nation of people as so many do on forums ....
    But unfortunately, in my personal experience.......a lot of them think you and your wife are a bank and don't need the money back.
    I have a simple rule....if I lent you money and you paid it back as you said you would, than I will lend it again but I am not their personal ATM......I am not doing it all the time
    If they didn't pay it back on the terms agreed I don't ever lend again.

    And i NEVER lend for stupid things. Gambling and such.
    One brother is in jail for 3 years and I could have prevented that by lending/giving 150k baht and I simply wouldn't because he was an idiot for getting in trouble and he screwed another brother who got him a job by getting arrested while working

  3. #23
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    the old saying..never a lender..never a borrower.that applies to family and friends..but broke that rule when i bought my first house...worked out pretty quickly that if you paid in more the interest portion came down pretty fast

  4. #24
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,008
    Dazza, fair play to the guy at least you got it back. My 1st thoughts if anyone asks me for money is can I afford to loose it. If my answer is no, then I will never give it.
    If I am in the position to do it, I will offer to pay bills for them, buy food for them, but never give cash.
    If they turn that offer down, then obviously they want the money for other things other than living expenses, so are not a good case for lending.
    Tingtong and Cuzzy like this.

  5. #25
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nakhon Ratchasima
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,763
    I'm with Chelski. Don't lend more than you are willing to let go if it never gets paid back. There's a few Thai's in Patong I've lent money to and have been slow to pay me back. But from my perspective, they've only asked me if they were desperate (short of going to a loan shark or pimping themselves to a person they despise), so if saving them from a worser fate then it's no problem. They've been always grateful that I've never pestered them for when the money will come back even though they've said they will pay it back at a certain date. I've always been of the opinion that they should take care of their families first then if they get a good patch of fortune then it's time to give some back.

    I wouldn't belittle a Thai by giving back money they just paid back as a reward, if they cared enough to pay you back fully the best thing you can do is complement the achievement and perhaps offer that if the **** ever hits the fan again they can come to you no questions asked. Sometimes they may not show it but they certainly remember who was there when they got bailed out and didn't hold it over their heads. If there ever was a situation where you'd be in a position to get done in or if someone was talking bad or gossiping about you they would be the first people to set the story straight and vouch for you.
    justcruzing1 and Dazza like this.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

  6. #26
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    I'm with Chelski. Don't lend more than you are willing to let go if it never gets paid back. There's a few Thai's in Patong I've lent money to and have been slow to pay me back. But from my perspective, they've only asked me if they were desperate (short of going to a loan shark or pimping themselves to a person they despise), so if saving them from a worser fate then it's no problem. They've been always grateful that I've never pestered them for when the money will come back even though they've said they will pay it back at a certain date. I've always been of the opinion that they should take care of their families first then if they get a good patch of fortune then it's time to give some back.

    I wouldn't belittle a Thai by giving back money they just paid back as a reward, if they cared enough to pay you back fully the best thing you can do is complement the achievement and perhaps offer that if the **** ever hits the fan again they can come to you no questions asked. Sometimes they may not show it but they certainly remember who was there when they got bailed out and didn't hold it over their heads. If there ever was a situation where you'd be in a position to get done in or if someone was talking bad or gossiping about you they would be the first people to set the story straight and vouch for you.
    I think your romanticizing it a bit....sorry
    Almost all the Thais who asked to borrow my money simply did because they felt i have more money than them
    A few had no intention of ever paying me back until my wife demanded.
    She now gets those requests to her personally because they feel she makes enough money and believe me......they don't feel indebted to her

  7. #27
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,120
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think your romanticizing it a bit....sorry
    Almost all the Thais who asked to borrow my money simply did because they felt i have more money than them
    A few had no intention of ever paying me back until my wife demanded.
    She now gets those requests to her personally because they feel she makes enough money and believe me......they don't feel indebted to her
    Yeah but your bahaviour should be based on your own principles and not how Thais would act in that situation na? If that makes sense.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  8. #28
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,316
    The pack of crumpled 20s shows me this fellow has been ferreting away money by himself for a while
    Which indicates hes probably been hiding it from his wife
    If the relationship was still not good between FIL and he - I would be keeping it and dedicating it to a good dinner between them and yourself and missus on your return , and leave the fat 'cow' at home
    The guy has morals - hes just poor , and is stuck with an anchor around his neck
    Changone, jontymate and Dazza like this.

  9. #29
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,008
    ^^^^^^ I noticed that as well. Perhaps his missus had told him not to bother paying the 2000 back, but he had a conceince about it, and did what most men do and that is do it anyway, just did not tell her he had done it.
    He has probably stashed it away in small amounts (hence the big bundle), so his missus has not missed the money, so she is none the wiser, and he has cleared his debt.

    If he has managed to do that without her knowing, I bet he has another secret stash on the way as we speak. Good on him if he has.

  10. #30
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nakhon Ratchasima
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think your romanticizing it a bit....sorry
    Almost all the Thais who asked to borrow my money simply did because they felt i have more money than them
    A few had no intention of ever paying me back until my wife demanded.
    She now gets those requests to her personally because they feel she makes enough money and believe me......they don't feel indebted to her
    Not really romanticizing it. I usually only do short-term (micro) loans with Thais I know that can (or have the ability to) pay me back. So if pay day was late and they needed a couple thousand here or there just to make rent or make sure their kid has food on the table then I don't mind (as I'm not living pay cheque to pay cheque).

    I did have one or two try for a 10k loan and I had to knock them back. Once it starts getting past 5k there's something fishy going on. I'm not that charitable, 5555
    pinecone likes this.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

  11. #31
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    Not really romanticizing it. I usually only do short-term (micro) loans with Thais I know that can (or have the ability to) pay me back. So if pay day was late and they needed a couple thousand here or there just to make rent or make sure their kid has food on the table then I don't mind (as I'm not living pay cheque to pay cheque).

    I did have one or two try for a 10k loan and I had to knock them back. Once it starts getting past 5k there's something fishy going on. I'm not that charitable, 5555
    Mine have always been in the 10k range.....so maybe that is where the difference is

  12. #32
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Yeah but your bahaviour should be based on your own principles and not how Thais would act in that situation na? If that makes sense.
    Sorry....i don't understand what you mean

  13. #33
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,274
    My wife's aunt just had a baby.....even though her and her pathetic husband can barely feed their other 2 kids.
    She literally sent a text to my wife saying " I had my baby, send me 20k"

    My wife just ignores it even though it pisses her off. I tell then tell your Aunt to get fcuked. Sending a text like that shows zero respect so why hold back in what you want to say

  14. #34
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nakhon Ratchasima
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Mine have always been in the 10k range.....so maybe that is where the difference is
    Yeah... once it starts getting past the min wage salary... I'm like how many other people have you already borrowed money off of, at that point it's borrowing off me to pay off the other 5+ people they've borrowed off of already (probably from the last month they needed money).

    Once they start getting past the 10k mark, I'm like sorry I don't have that type of money to loan out, I have to eat too. 5555
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

  15. #35
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,937
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    She literally sent a text to my wife saying " I had my baby, send me 20k"
    wow...baby bonus...that's a good one.
    Rivo likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  16. #36
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    Yeah... once it starts getting past the min wage salary... I'm like how many other people have you already borrowed money off of, at that point it's borrowing off me to pay off the other 5+ people they've borrowed off of already (probably from the last month they needed money).

    Once they start getting past the 10k mark, I'm like sorry I don't have that type of money to loan out, I have to eat too. 5555
    I worked with this old time.legend on the stock exchange
    If i didn't have cash I'd ask him to borrow 5usd and he would always insist on lending me 20usd
    He would say " you'll forget the 5usd.....but not a 20" 555
    meese likes this.

  17. #37
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    My wife's aunt just had a baby.....even though her and her pathetic husband can barely feed their other 2 kids.
    She literally sent a text to my wife saying " I had my baby, send me 20k"

    My wife just ignores it even though it pisses her off. I tell then tell your Aunt to get fcuked. Sending a text like that shows zero respect so why hold back in what you want to say

    Dao was approached by her Aunt for money for this years rice crop expenses. The only payment that would come back would be in rice to her family. She said okay only if you leave my drunken uncle (MIL's brother)that pisses it up . No money given. With her, there are always strings attached to negate the need to borrow in the first place. She has cut her mother off for gambling even though it was not a huge "problem" issue. It was just the wasting of money.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    320
    ...........removed............
    Last edited by Fionn; 26th May 2015 at 14:17.

  19. #39
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UdonThani
    Posts
    1,201
    Some excellent replies in this thread, I'm starting to have a re-think about giving the 2000 baht back, perhaps a few Leo's and lao khao will suffice....
    jontymate and pinecone like this.

  20. #40
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Some excellent replies in this thread, I'm starting to have a re-think about giving the 2000 baht back, perhaps a few Leo's and lao khao will suffice....
    You do not have to tell him that the beer and whiskey is for the fact that he paid you back. If it was me in that position as the payer back, then I would feel a bit awkward about it, as I would know it has taken longer to pay it back that it should have.
    But if he says anything to you, just say that you thought it was about time you had a drink with him, then he would probably be none the wiser for the reason that you did it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •